Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Call
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Picked up a FoxPro electronic call. I plan to try calling up some Coyotes. Any suggestions?

I have never set up in the bushes for Coyotes and could use some hints.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a remote right?
Set it up 30-50yds out where you want 'em to come to a stop at where it's clear shooting.
Then back off to a decent hide and turn it on.
I've never run one of those, always mouth blown calls. Don't run it full time, shut it off after about a minute and wait five, then run it again.

When they come running in, when you're ready to fire and they're right where you want 'em to be. Bark at 'em and they'll nearly always stop. You've got about FIVE seconds to get the shot off. Then they'll either come on in, or take off the other way.

Good luck and have fun. Share the pics and story too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Yes it has a remote. Your info is just what I need to get started.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
The most important rule when hunting coyotes is to mind the wind. You can have the best setup in the world but if they smell you 500 yards downwind you will never even see them.

Other tips:

- mind the wind.

- start with the volume fairly low and raise it during the hunt - these critters can hear a long way and home in on the exact location with surprising accuracy.

- shots can come fast and you must have your gun up and ready. I use a tripod rest.

- make sure you are comfortable or you will end up moving at just the wrong time.

- make sure there is a round in the chamber.

- make sure the scope is turned to lowest power.

- we don't have mountain lions here, but you may want to make sure your set up protects you.

- try to force the critters to come in broadside instead of straight on for better shot opportunities.

- practice with the remote plenty before the hunt - controlling the call and getting the shot off can be a challenge, especially if the critter gets nervous when it approaches and you want to turn the volume down.

- get yourself a decent squealing rabbit/distress mouth call. Great for when you are walking between sets and see one in the distance or when your batteries fail you.

- I can hunt at night with lights here and do so often. I like sitting at a location up to an hour while others will only stay 10 or so minutes and move on. Some like to keep the call going the full time and others off and on. I usually go with 5 minutes of one call with rising volume, off for about 5 minutes, switch to a different call and start over. The FoxPro rabbit and woodpecker calls have done good for me.

- Have fun and learn from your mistakes.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Good information, this is going to be fun.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mind the wind.

They always, everytime, 99.999% of the time, try to get downwind of you. They smell you, they're gone.

Many years ago, I had one trotting in from dead-downwind of me. I put my rangefinder on scan and kept it on him. At 491yds it looked like his nose touched an electric fence. He was trotting in, but he broke Mach2 getting out of there.

Picking your site to call from is crucial to success. A brushy creek downwind of you pretty much guarantees you won't see them.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote