Find
Notify
Tools

Truck Gun Work of Art
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted

I rescued this from the work truck of the ranch foreman on one of my visits this summer. It is his prized 22-250, and he told me to rechamber/rebarrel it as it was not shooting well at all.

When I opened the bolt, I had to give it a fairly good pull as there was so much dust and gravel in the action. I cleaned the thing up (took several hours) and checked the freebore. Sure enough, couldn't find a bullet that would touch the rifling.

Figured I should at least get a before and after (rechamber) group, so I stuck some of my reloads into it and started shooting. Six rounds later the thing settled down (moly) and I shot several groups in the quarter inch range. I gave it back to him all shiny and clean. What do you think it looks like now??? Big Grin

So do any of you have any stories of "truck" guns? Not the pampered, cased, well oiled ones. But the neglected ones....

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a .223 and I'm sorry but I don't remember you working on my farm this summer. rotflmo Anyway, yes I have a truck gun too, so to speak. It's a 700 adl/syn .223 with a 12X Leupold on it. Dirty as the day is long; about the same as the pickup come to think of it. All my other guns are all cleaned and oiled and I almost hate to take them out.
Getting lazy I guess, but this ole' .223 rarely lets me down on pd's and coyotes. Yep, once in a while I have to clean the chamber and the rails. Cleaned the barrel once and it shot so good I had no excuse for missing. Haven't made that mistake again. Now if I could just see through my binos; where'd that ole' T-shirt go anyway. Eeker Eeker JP

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
JP,

Welcome to AR. I like your sense of humor.

I know exactly what you mean about the binos. The ranch foreman usually has a set on his dash, but while I am doing something outside my pickup he sneaks in and "borrows" mine because he can't see out of his. I usually figure it out when I see him looking at something from HIS pickup window with binos that look EXACTLY like mine. bewildered

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Well I had this 338-06 built that . . . uh, er, ahem no that isn't a truck gun, sorry Smiler

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I've got a Enfield that has been rechambered to .308.
It takes a beating and looks it.
It shoots right where I'm looking.Good enuff for me.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote