New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did You Hear My Screams?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of hours ago now did anyone hear some screams?
I am sure the people in Oregon and Idaho heard me! I am so upset with myself I am shaking!
I let my stupid self make another bad range decision and I was instantly rewarded with two bad groups at my damned windswept range!
I should not have shot. I should not have shot. I should not have shot!
I am getting behind in both load testing for 3 new Rifles and hand loading for the upcoming Colony Varmint seasons so I tried to "make do" today in a blustering cross wind. I know better. But it was my third recent trip to the range and in the previous two trips the wind was not blowing at all at my house but the range was windy to 10 MPH! No shooting possible on those last two trips! Damn and the range is only 8 miles away!
But today I thought I could sneak my 10 shots in between the gusts! LOL! Not even close!
I had only gotten to shoot this new Remington 700 VLSS in 223 on one prior day. It shot really well that day after barrel break in giving me two 5 shot groups at 100 yards of .581" and .630" with Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips, that was over two weeks ago! I was really excited to reload those ten now fireformed brass and double check my initial good results. Well I was ready the next day and the next and now for about 15 days but its been windy here in SW Montana everyday.
Now on todays third actual trip to the range I made the bad decision and tried to shoot between those gusts.
Two ruined groups was all I have to show for 15 days of trying to wait out the wind.
Both 5 shot groups were very good considering just the vertical dispersion - one was .326" and the other was .436"! The horizontal dispersion though made the two groups measure 1.536" and 1.352"! Dieyammm!
I have already reloaded those ten pieces of brass and am patiently watching the wind. I swear I will not attempt anymore "load testing" during gusting wind. Its just not realistic to try and judge a load that has been shot under less than ideal conditions. One of my groups had three shots in a nice cloverleaf of .373". I think this load will do it but its gonna take another trip to the range to verify.
I hope you won't be bothered by anymore screaming in the next few days!
How do you guys judge when or when not to shoot for your load testing? I am finding there are but few windless days here in SW Montana.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmit Guy, I'm new here so forgive my ignorance but what type scope do you use for load development. what power?? thanks, Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02: I have always been tempted (like for the last 20 years!) to buy and have one high power scope and dedicate it to just load development use on my new Rifles. Yeah, I would mount that 24X or higher power scope and do load testing and then when the best load was decided on I would remove the 24X+ scope and mount the scope intended for that Rifle on it.
I just never seem to get around to buying that load development scope!
This 223 that I am testing for now has a 4X12 Leupold with Du-Plex reticle.
So I am trying to make do with this scope in the wind here. I have been busy for the weekend here but I got out Saturday early and fired the 10 rounds again. This time in pretty good conditions! Winds at 3 - 5 MPH and occassionally seeming to stop.
The two five shot groups were not as good as I had hoped for but I am on the verge of being happy with them. The 2 groups measured .693" and .708"!
I have to get busy and get my loading done for this Rifle as Colony Varmint season is just around the corner!
Voldoc02 I usually buy enough scope power for my Varminters to somewhat negate the need for a dedicated load development scope. My favorite Varminting scopes are 6.5X20's and I have a bunch of them.
This particular 223 I have a particular use for and want the wider field of view for night Hunting so I went with the lower power.
In answer to another posting I also am amazed at the horizontal dispersion and the increased group sizes over my initial groups! I shoot at about 5,600 feet elevation and the air here is reported to be only 85% as thick (dense) as at my former range (before I moved to Montana) which was at 37 feet above sea level. Yeah you think the bullets would slip through this thin air better than they did. Yes I have gray hair now and I do attribute some of that to my over intensity at the range!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Dude,

It is a HOBBY. If you're screaming you're WAY over the edge. Take a break.

BTW, I don't care what the wind is, I once shot a air gun match, in a 10-15 mph breeze and went from dead last to ninth by timing my shots. If the wind is too bad to shoot at least your breathing and able to see it. If you HAVE to shoot to LIVE, then the wind simply does not matter except by how much you have to hold into it!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so that Howling was YOU?

Must have been pretty frustrated to hear it all the way over here in Oregon. that is almost 900 miles, AGAINST the jet stream!

Montana is a wonderful place for varmint hunting and big game hunting, but a lousy place for an open rifle range to try and zero a varmint rifle, with all the constant wind.

This time of year isn't 40 miles an hour a slight breeze?

I hope the wind dies down enough for you to get that load developed in the near future.
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having been out many a time to your neat state to shoot the p dog. Does the wind ever stop. I can shoot short range groups out the front door. MY long range is 5 miles away and is snowed in right now. I allways plan on shooting groups early in the morning or late in the evening when before the wind picks up or when it dies down.

At least in Wis. most of the time you can count on the wind being low in the morning or a hr or so before dark. Yes the wind can be a abit frustating good luck.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie: Its no hobby anymore! Hunting and shooting define my being! You are right though, if a person can not deal appropriately with a 15 day long gust of wind and only being able to shoot on 7 different days since the end of Big Game season (November 30th through today - thats 85 days!) then perhaps one should take up another love of life! Maybe something wind related like kite flying or ice sailing?
Naw!!!!!
I will say this the air has been moving at a pace here in excess of previous fall, winter and early springs.
I have come to terms with Big Game and Varmint Hunting in the winds of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, South Dakota and other places I have Hunted. And that adds an interesting if not at times frustrating dimension to those endeavors also. But I need to get 3 new Varminters sighted in here and loaded up for and the wind is not helping!
I mean, I am sure you tested different pellets in your air Rifle. And sighted the pellet Rifle in for the correct P.O.I.! And you probably did that on a calm day (or inside away from the wind totally). Thats what I am screaming about. I just need a break in this moving air. I mean where is it all going? Is the whole world being buffeted by the air thats moving across the high plains here?
I guess thats my point - theres been more wind than normal around here in our "extreme drought" weather conditions. And its playing heck with my shooting. I still think it saves money in many ways to only do load testing on windless days. It may not be saving time but it is saving money and barrel wear I am sure.
By the way my friend Peter from Utah killed a mature Rock Chuck last year with his super powerful air rifle. I think he fills it from a scuba tank that he takes along with him. And I think it shoots 25 caliber pellets! He sent me a picture of the ai Rifle and the Chuck. I have never done much with air Rifles and need to take another look at them. Montana is over populated with Starlings and Barn Pigeons!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the range you go to is out in the desert, with "informal ranges" nearby....

One thing you can do to save a windy days is to set up at an informal range (i.e. shooting out in the desert) with the wind at your back. Doesn't completely eliminate the effects of wind, but it minimizes it. Sometimes I head to the range, find out its too windy, and then head out into the desert to do some plinking, or some more serious shooting, instead.

I've been known to reposition so I could shoot at prairie dogs downwind on a windy day.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I threw everything out regarding the 55 gr. Noslers in my 223 700 VLSS and decided to go with some 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips instead. On this past Sunday I noticed the wind here (I now call it "the breath of Hell!) was sputtering down a bit. I took my new loads and the old loads and some Federal factory full metal jacket rounds to my range! The wind was burping so to speak. It would blow for 10 to 15 minutes then calm down completely. I quickly fouled the bore with a couple of Federal FMJ's and waited for the wind to stop so I could do my load testing. Over a two hour session in the cold I was able to get off the 10 new 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips for record! But all ten rounds went down range with my wind streamers standing at no movement! I was rewarded with two pleasing and nearly round groups of .524" and .530"! These were 5 shot groups at 100 yards and they made me content to settle on this new bullet as my go to load for Colony Varmints and Coyotes for this new Rifle come spring and summer.
I again had to marvel at the wonderful trigger in this stainless Remington Varminter. I have many after market triggers on various Varmint Rifles including some made by Timney, Jewell, Shilen and Canjar and in comparison this Remington factory 700 trigger (that I adjusted) just does not need to be improved on in any way! It is one of the reasons this new Varminter is shooting as well as it does with this 4X12 power scope!
So I have two of my new Varminters settled in and online now with accurate Varmint loads and one more Rifle to get done! It is howling here today but my panic flashes have subsided somewhat for now.
I got a report first hand from a friend that he SAW Ground Squirrels out 2 days ago walking on snow! It won't be long! If the breath of hell subsides I will put down my reloading tools and be back at my range and "enjoying my hobby"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy