THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Need tricks for high pressure coyotes!!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need tricks for high pressure coyotes!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got writen permition to hunt a 10,000 acre spreed for coyotes, just one problem, the rancher has educated alot of them thumbdown. Please give up some of the trick you use and help me and the ranchers out. gunsmile So far a call and decoy are batting 0 Confused Any help is welcom. Thank you.
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean, the rancher has educated them? Does he call them, or just see-and-shoot?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah i'd like to know what that means as well. For the most part I've found very very few ranchers that could really educate a yote aside from educating them to stay away from rigs.

Lots of pot shots but not many of them serious about eradicating the dogs.

Just my thoughts.

Mark D

ps for what it is worth the first thought that would come to mind is Foxpro!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your terrain and location. Here east of Mississippi, we usually drive the roads pre-dawn and when we get to the area we are going to hunt we stop and use a locator call. If the coyotes are cooperating/in the area and call back, we mark the spot (tie colored tape on a branch) and move down the road 1/3 mile or so and call again. We do this several times and mark the spots we get replies. No sense hunting a dry area. We then go back and call from these areas. Chances are better this way of calling in coyotes. Also keep watching down wind, they will try and wind you. This time of year should be producing uneducated young coyotes that should be easier to call than later in the year.
Hope this helps & good luck.
P.S. Remember get away from your vehicle, a educated dog/yote that has been shot at from one won't likely forget.

one of us
posted Hide Post
K-22hornet,
The rancher has tried calling them in after shooting at them! Whitch has made them very call shy.

Mark D
This rancher might as well have put them through servival school. bewildered

David Craig
Thanks, I'm stuck in the California. bawling The area is on a resavoir with very little cover. One thing I will try is getting farther away from the truck.

Thanks all!! Keep it comming! thumb

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the first things I'd do is find out what the rancher was using for a call. The you could go about picking your calls based off of that.

I still think that Foxpro is one great way to take a look at.

Night calling could work well also.

How many dogs was the fella taking a year? How many by drive by's and how many by calling?

Thanks

Mark D

does he run cattle? if so when is his calving time. At least in this country they tend to get awfully brave at that time.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Marks asking good questions. I often times will try a fawn bleeting call or just a sqeeker. Call shy/educated dogs are tough to fool. I have had limited success using a e-call and so I don't believe in them. I think the tone and sounds are "off" just enough to sound fake.

A challenge call should work well as long as the rancher hasn't been trying that too! I'd recommend some very thoughtful planning. Your approach could make all the difference. They know being seen by humans results in getting shot at, so your approach should be done to avoid carrying your scent into the area to be called, you need to try to avoid being silouetted, your camo needs to be as close to your surroundings as possible, and wear a face mask or paint it! A human face is recognizable from a long way off! Get some of the Bow Tape for your rifle. Cover any solid lines, (barrel)that are noticeable. I had an old Rem 788 in .22-250 that was my utility gun. I hung it up in the garage after taping off the breech and lenses and spray painted the whole gun with a flat tan, then went back with stipes off sage green, a few brown, and a couple grey. I think the more open pattern camo is best and the mossy oak type is way to busy out in the open or in the desert it's too dark. I hunted an area that is mostly dried grass and wound up using faded Carhartt bibs and a tan shirt that was similar. In that situation I didn't sit against dark vegitation. On a ranch with fencelines, you may try tan pants and grey or tan shirt and sit against a fence post.
They often times will travel the fencline, an old road, cow trail, ect. If you set up so you give them a path thats easy to follow in front of you they will often times us it because it seems a natural route. DON'T set up ON the path! Give it some space but give them a route thats easy and you'll funnel them in.

Where are you at? How much calling experience do you have? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark D
I like the fox pro too and so did this rancher Mad. He said he has got three this year and seven last year, other then that I don't know.

Bignate
I live and hunt around Santa Clara County. Where are you at?
Not much with a mouth call, thats why I got a foxpro.

Thanks guys keep um comming!!! 338vt

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you've got a Foxpro then I assume it is either programmed with or can be programmed with various unusual distress sounds. Thats where I'd turn with it.

I'm outside of Bakersfield. The 'yotes get shot at quite a bit around here so calling can be quite challenging. The weather is to nice most of the time to dictate much of anything around here. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Foxpro has a ton of different sounds you can get for it. I'd find out what the rancher used and get the others.

They make one called the rodent squeler or something like that (sorry about the spl, my mind isn't working great this morn). Anyway to the point, to me it sounds like a bunch of newborn pups. When we first got that it kicked buns in a qay I've never seen b4.

Howling, has the rancher been doing any of that? When they get close to mating season (here it is mid Jan thru Feb) the howler will work very well. They come looking for either companionship or to kick some butt.

This is a fun challenge, it isn't always fun just to hunt the stupid ones.......if that can be said of old canis latrans.

Except for the Sept young ones away from mom for the first time it is awfully tough to find the ones lacking IQ around here.

Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
338vt, have you tried the Fox-Pro Jack in the Box. Have been using one a short while and seems to work best in grass clumps by open pastures where it can be seen farther away. Might be ideal in the open areas you hunt, plus it will draw attention away from you.
Just a thought.
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite method these days is spot and stalk. I rarely call anymore, as i love to stalk them. But if u still wanna call use your howler as Mark mentioned-- get a high-pitched howl to sound more like the younger dogs/females, and a lower pitched howl for more mature dogs. Howling is almost as effective as a distress call, and is a good locator system for spot and stalk. I've often referred to howling as the ace-in-the-hole.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard shooting them from a helicopter works pretty well. lol

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
Not many people do this, but you could try staking out a few rabbits. A lot of guys will use motion decoys and such, but actually staking out a real rabbit works great. You have the scent, the noise, and the motion all in one. Once the rabbits realize that they can't get away, they really put up quite a fuss and that draws predators in.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go to your local slauter house and put out about 50-80 pounds of guts and other crap bait the bastards then blow em away.

iv shot about 70+ coyotes doing this helping the sheep and chicken farmers in the area.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote