Find
Notify
Tools

Went out scouting- too dry
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I went out to a buddy's ranch just on the north side of Bakersfield to see if the squirrels were out and there is nothing there. His place got just over an inch of rain this winter and the grass never got started. He hasn't seen more than one ground squirrel at a time in 6 months and is feeding his cattle hay already. It's going to be a bad year for him.

I drove over most of 1800 acres and saw on ground squirrel and two jack rabbits. All the south facing slopes are baked dry and brown already. I did see one skinny coyote at a dead run at about 100 yards but I don't jump shoot coyotes so I let him go.

How would you like to try to raise cattle on this?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
John Steinbeck is going to amke a comeback with conditions like that! Sad actually.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dry on both sides of the States and floods in the middle! Who knows what 2008 will bring as far as a crop goes! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Frank..

ya make it up in this direction, we can probably get you lined up for some aggressive squirrel shooting...

just remember to tell them you are not from LA or the Bay Area... we locals know most other Californians are pompous like most of the one's from those areas...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I might have to take you up on it. There's nothing to shoot down here. At least being from Bakersfield everyone else in the right thinking parts of California knows that we're not part of the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Well Frank..

ya make it up in this direction, we can probably get you lined up for some aggressive squirrel shooting...

just remember to tell them you are not from LA or the Bay Area... we locals know most other Californians are pompous like most of the one's from those areas...

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

REALLY?????????? read it close ,Frank, if you think you're being excluded from the rest of us pompous folk!!! bsflagroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
John Steinbeck is going to make a comeback with conditions like that! Sad actually.

TRUE it is sad ! In "78" we went up to Atascadero (southren edge of Stienbeck country) during the long drought. Had never eaten a Tri Tip and they were selling it for .68/pound cause they couldn't feed the cattle any more. Loved the tritip so much I got a small truck load of it and brought it back to LA where we bought enough freezer to hold it.

Living in a California super population center helps you develope an emunity to hate and and external predjudice from people who think they are priviledged because they live on land stolen from native Americans . This ain't an April fools. bsflagroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Modoc County (NE Cal) this past weekend hoping to kill some sage rats. They were, for all practical purposes, nonexistant.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Craigster...

It is not the same case of the dry weather down in So Cal...there has been plenty of rain up this way...

however the temps have been way below normal and winter is just hanging on much longer this year...

I've seen them out in a few spots here in the Rogue Valley and then the weather went cold again and they haven't been out very much..

Modoc is higher elevation, so it is still colder over that way...I wouldn't be writing the season off yet...

Roger

I hope you weren't taking me serious on ribbing you Metro LA So Cal guys...

Actually some Californians are really hated by folks up here in Oregon.. however, I have found living here for 12 yrs, and not being from California, the real reason for all the hatred toward Californians...it comes from California transplants/ former Californians...

Local Oregon people are too busy complainting about folks from Portland, Salem and Eugene who screw up life for the rest of the state, to satisfy their view of Utopia....

So to recap...

Locals only hate fellow Oregonians from the Largest city, the Capitol and from where the lefty state University is..

Transplants from California hate Californians who haven't transplanted yet...

Transplants from Metro Puget Sound hate all Washingtonians who haven't transplanted yet.. and Californians ( of course they hated Californians before they moved here, It has something to do with High Tech Penis Envy I believe with California.. the Bill Gates vs Steven Jobs thing.....

Actually the rest of us love you rich Californians.... you drop lots of money when you come up here, and keep all of us local hicks out of the poor house...

See its a 'win win' situation... thumb

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote