Find
Notify
Tools

Savage model 12
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I've been thinking about buying a 204, and have pretty much decided on a savage model 12VLP.

Anyway, the question is: Is there any practical difference between the single shot or magazine fed?

Won't be used for competition, just weekend fun. The local Sportsman's Warehouse only has a magazine fed and can't or won't do special orders.

thanks,
irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only diff. is that the magazine will dictate the lenght u can seat your bullets to.(how far out) I have not found that to be a problem with my 12vlp.

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Get a single shot follower.roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
The single shot doesn't have any advantage unless you are planning on putting on a very long (30"+) heavy barrel. If reaching the lands becomes an issue with the repeater, you can still load one cartridge at a time. I do that with my Remington which is a repeater.

BTW, I have a Savage Model 12 in 223 and love it. It is a single shot because I plan on turning it into a 6BR long range rifle one day.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
irwin, I shoot a SAVAGE VLP in .204....first one to get to the state of VA when they came out! My C.O.L. is 2.394!! Won't fit in in the magazine anyway!!! To seat bullets to touch the lands in FACTORY chambered .204's.....Savage, Remington, Ruger.....whoever....ain't gonna happen!!! Get the VLP and just stuff em in 1 at a time!!! You'll be pleased!! The factory loadings are 2.245"!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Midway has the follower to fit the Savage 12 either right or left takes the same for about $12 bucks or so. Works great.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote