New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you buy a Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had really good luck with Savage rifles being accurate and im getting ready to buy 2 new guns probobly a 223 and a 22-250 and im really looking hard at a savage for occasional varmint hunting can i get the same accuracy with a sporter barrel as with a heavy barrel? And would you buy a Savage?
Thanks

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rifles--I have three and was never dissapointed.

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Never had one yet I couldn't coerce into sub 1" 5 shot groups. My 223 sporter does 1" with Ultramax ammo, .7" with handloads (and me shooting.....). FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Out of the box, its hard to beat the accuracy of the Savage. I hate the stock and the trigger though. I plan on adding a new one to my collection, but I'm at least going to wait until they put the new triggers on them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i'd buy a savage any day, especially with the new trigger. my .308 10FP shoots .55" 5 shot groups at 100yds all day.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I had a savage 112fv that would shoot .75" groups all day long with decent ammo. With it's favorite handload it would shoot groups <.5". That's pretty good accuracy for what I paid for it, <$300 on clearance.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Oh yeah!!! [Big Grin]

-

5 shots, 100 yards. .308 Savage 10FP, 175 grain Sierra Matchking, 45.0 grains of Varget (OCW load, thank you very much [Razz] ), with the obligatory CCI BR-2 primer.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I look for a rifle with more style and features. My first rifle was a new Rem 722 in .222 Rem and I carried that all over the place and shot thousands of critters with it. That old Rem was sort of like a Savage in it's day if you will as it was short on looks and features.

I was happy until I saw a M70 and the Winchester High Walls. Then I wanted them. I bought Remington 40X's after that for target shooting and don't regret that but never another Rem for hunting. The Sako was a fine rifle then also but I wanted an American made rifle. Now decades later I have a number of fine Wincesters and many of them have been rebarrled and shoot as well as ever.

The Savage 99 on the other hand is a classic but the 110's are what they are.

To argue the other way the most expensive thing is something that will fail to do the job you bought it for. This usually applies to cheap stuff but in the case of the Savage 110 the story seems to be that they will shoot. But to have to put a expensive trigger on one defeates the purpose to me. The M70 comes with the finest hunting trigger ever designed that anyone can adjust themselves.

I would get a sporter weight barrel. I did get a .243 with a heavy barrel to use for both position target shooting and long range varmints. I used it with great success for a few years for target shooting but it was never handy for hunting. That barrel still haunts me even though it's it's gone.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure would, especially one with the new trigger. Although I adjust my Savage 110 without any problems to a nice weight. I've never checked it, but it feels good to me and I do not care for a "set" trigger type pull.

I should have bought another Savage with the lightweight barrel rather than the CZ 527 I did buy. I had a bad experience with CZ's warranty service, and that has soured me on that gun...

<DLS>
posted
I have an 11G in 223 Rem. that I changed to a 17 Rem.. The factory 223 barrel and the Pacnor 17 Barrel shoot great. It's not a good looking rifle but it works as a single shot. Feeding is a problem. My friend has feeding problems with his 11G 223 Rem also. It will shoot 1/2" most of the time with reloads.

<mike elmer>
posted
I have 2 Savages; a 112 in 223 w/ 26" bbl.; and an F110 Tactical in 25-06; I have never regretted it. They both shoot better than they should for the price. Go ahead and buy one. I do not know how you could regret it.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope !

Friends don't let friends buy Savages.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Savage I have ever fired was 7 years ago. It was a long action 223. I could never understand the 223 in a long action, plus someone did a bad home made trigger job to that rifle.

I guess you never get a second chance to make a first impression!!

Too bad for me now it will take close to a miracle to get me to look at a savage long enough to even consider one plus my "taste" has matured!!

Posts: 903 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunter,

I guess that only you can prevent forest fires.
My meaning is if you are saveing money up to buy this gun I would save my money for a little longer and buy a Rem 700 in the caliber you want. Remember that you get what you pay for. Don't short cut your rifles you may have them for a long time and short of a custom built rifle the Rem is one of the very best for the money.

In the end it's up to you, its your money.

Smote the Yote
Slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me start with, I like Savage 110 variations. My experience has been that it's kind of a lottery. Most shoot great for an untuned rifle, some don't.

The first thing you got to do is improve the trigger. If you can live with four pounds, the factory trigger might work. Before I even fire the first round out of a Savage, I ditch the factory trigger and replace it with a Sharp Shooter (about 60.00).

The next problem is the stock/bedding. The stocks are blocky and uncomfortable to me. About half the ones I've delt with had bedding problems. I just replaced the factory stock with one from Sharp Shooter and it is sweet. With a steel trigger guard (factory is plastic and won't hold up to the 65 inch pound torque) its about 250.00.

Most Savage barrels are rough and foul quickly. I just got through today fire lapping my Savage 7-08 (another 45.00) and it cleaned up nicely.

Ok let's see, 355.00 plus the 325.00 I gave for the rifle, hum....everyone else get 680.00? and it's still a Savage. Mine will put three 139 Hornadys into .500 to .600 at 100 yards.

So if you don't mind taking a chance on a low dollar rifle or you like to tinker with your guns like I do, the Savage makes a lot of sense. If the Savage doesn't shoot, you souldn't have any trouble unloading it on one of us Savage junkies. If you want a tuned highly accurate rifle you might be money ahead to find a low priced used action and have a gunsmith put everything together for you.

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!!

Got an old 340 in .22 Hornet and a 10fp in .223

Both are sub-MOA performers with handloads.

Had the trigger adjusted on the 10fp and floated and bedded the Hornet, just 'cause I could! The 10fp is a pain to carry far, but it was never designed for that.

Guys at the club call it the "salvage" or the "truck axle". [Big Grin]

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Hmmmm.... Fondle factor versus performance...

Get the Savage! [Smile]

-

Dan

<green 788>
posted
And then there's this...

-

(Get the Savage [Wink] )...

Dan

posted Hide Post
Buy a Savage

I have Rem. Win. Ruger, Savage, custom etc. and I like them all. As one of the replies said you get what you pay for and you get alot when you buy the Savage. I have a 112BVSS-S in 22-250 that I use in 500yd competition. This rifle has out performed many big name custom rifles.

The best advise is shot what you can afford upgrade when you can and don't put down what someone else has.

Rup

Groundhog Shoot
www.Southforkrifleclub.homestead.com

Posts: 20 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 16 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my rifles are either custom, Ruger or Pre 64 Winchesters but the savages seem to be real shooters right out of the box, now if they were not so Butt Ungly I might try one. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're on a budget, hell yes. Or if you're like me, you want to compliment your collection with a "tool." I have a lovely Cooper Varmint Extreme that makes itty bitty groups and has an awesome piece of AAA Walnut. I feed it handloads and it's wonderful. However, it has a 1:14 twist bbl, and so it likes the lighter bullets. My reason for wanting a 10FP in .223 is to have a gun that I won't have to worry about the stock, and one that I can use remanufactured ammo in so if I get into the PD's hot an heavy I'm not fretting about running out of handlods. I've got one for show and go, and now I want one for utilitarian *go*.

For gosh sakes don't skimp on the optics! I'd take a Savage with a good scope over a Rem with a Tasco any day...

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage is a good rifle for the money,the only drawback are trigger(The new trigger is only available on HEAVY barrel guns),the weight and the resale. The Remington has an adjustable trigger,weighs less and will resale for close to new gun price,and is only $50.00 more. Then there is the STEAL of our day. The TIKA WHITETAIL HUNTER is sells for only $90.00 more than the Savage and has a adjustable trigger,detachable magazine,and is made in the same factory as the Sako. The Remington has a 24" bbl the Tika 22.5"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but all three of my Savages out-shoot my Tikka, by at least 1/3rd. And the Tikka still has a plastic trigger guard [Big Grin] Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I own a few Savages and love everyone of'em. I'm not one for shooting groups, but the ones I have done and measured have yet to span over an inch except for one (1.1"). Also I have never beded an action or replaced a trigger.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Savage for over 30 years, and it still shoots great. I won't hesitste to buy more when I think I need a different caliber. It has been all over Michigan, Canada, in Wyoming several times, Montana and Africa, Namibia. Never had any problem with it all regardless of the weather or climate.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
I have 'several' Savage long range rifles, from 223s, 7-08 FP, 300 Win FP, 308 LE1, and a custom s/shot 6.5x308 AI Pac Nor. No they aren't the prettiest, or the slickest actions, but these suckers shoot just fine with custom loads. Soon as I figure how to send photos, I'll post some nice groups, the latest from the LE1, being a .34" w/5 shots @ 100 using 168 MKs. Gotta love them cheap Savage rifles....

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I agree with a previous poster (I don't recall who) who said that Savage is now where Remington used to be. Nuff Said.

<Reloader66>
posted
If the cost of the hunting rifle is your primary reason for buying that rifle and you have no intention of spending extra cash to rework that rifle other than a replacement trigger. Then the Savage is the answer to that question. I would put both my Savage rifles up against any other factory made rifle for accuracy out of the box with my handloads. The Savage has one of the worst triggers on a factory rifle except the Ruger rifles.
I have no regrets buying the Savage other than the resale value. No matter how well one will group it is still a cheap Savage and you will not get one extra cent for the groups it will produce. Save the factory trigger, take off the scope and bases, reinstall the factory trigger when your ready to get rid of your Savage. If your don't, when you sell it or trade it you will give away your scope, and bases along with the eighty dollar adjustabe trigger. Sell the rifle stripped just as it was when you bought it.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Serious tac driver. I say YES  -

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont plan on selling it when i get one I dont care if their ugly I dont buy one for looks I buy one for accuracy as far as the trigger im going to get a 22-250 and mabey a 223 with the new accutrigger i picked one up the other day and it wasnt near as heavy as a rem heavy barrel

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I bet if they brought back there model 99 lever action they would sell alot. I for one would buy one. I saw two used ones in a local shop hear on long island both selling for $795.00 each.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they only put 22 inch barrels on their sporter rifles and not 24 inch barrels?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunter, my WSM has a 24. Most mags do.

Who wants to carry a 24" 308 throught the woods? JMO, Dutch.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OK... Heres' my take on Savage.

1. Remingtons and Winchesters look a hell of a lot better and I'm one of those that thinks that's important.

2. Savages are way cheaper and anyone with enough sense to pound sand down a rat hole can rebarrel one with a minimum of tools and a headspace guage or a fired cartridge case. No need to pay a gunsmith to fit the barrel. (Buy pre-fitted barrels from Pac-Nor, Sharp Shooters Supply, or MidwayUSA.

3. Savages are very accurate out of the box.

4. Triggers are no longer an issue because the new Savage triggers on all their "fat" barrled rifles (who cares about the others anyway?) carry the AccuTrigger which is user adjustable right down to 1.5lbs and it does NOT affect warranty!

4a. Sharp Shooters Supply makes an excellent trigger for a Savage anyway and they're only $85!

5. Savages get NO RESPECT from most shooters so you can get them used for cheap!

6. Did I mention that they're butt ugly?

7. I'll get a fat barreled one and make it a switch barrel for general use.... Yes... I still love my Remchesters.... [Wink]

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Damn straight. I'm planning to buy a 12FLVSS in 223 ASAP. The new trigger just makes the decision that much easier. I'll do the lapping process with the coated bullets and I bet that will be enough.

Besides the lefty option, I like the 1 in 9 twist because I intend to use the heavier end of the 223 bullet spectrum. I'm not really interested in pushing stuff to near 4000fps.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I Have 42 hunting and varmint rifles and black powder,when I go to the field for meat I grab one of the savages,I don't have one with the new trigger but will have one,watch winchester,remington,ruger etc. get after that one.I'm on a different computer or I would send some targets. good shooting Jim

Posts: 6 | Location: central wyoming | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to see some targets if you have time
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
How so you lap a barrel? What products are availabe and what is the benefit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed some here like the Savage 1-9" twist in .223 for shooting heavier bullets. I had a 10FP with the 1-9" twist that wouldn't group 69gr Sierra's, but would shoot the hell out of the 40gr. BlitzKings & Ballistic Tips. I almost gave up on it until out of frustration I tried the lighter bullets.
The most negative thing about the Savages that I found is the rough bores. What you save in initial cost you spend it in cleaning supplies and time. The triggers aren't a big deal I had a local smith work mine over for $25.

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you buy the .223 and the 22-250, one of them is going to be constantly neglected.
22-250 can do anything the .223 can but louder at a higher expense.
.223 can do anything the 22-250 can out to about 250yds (or so). Milder report, much cheaper to reload for.
If you reload for other hunting type rifles, keeping two kinds of primers on hand and having to change press over for loading a .223 is a non-problem that can kinda be a hassle. Thats not true with the 22-250. etc.
I have both and I find the .223 sits at home a lot.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote