New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 for Coyotes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry SS! I'm not familiar with that particular cartridge, Those velocities seem Way High though. My gut tells me the case wont handle the pressures needed to churn up those kind of speeds. But i've never worked with one so i really cant comment, Sorry!

Posts: 49 | Location: UT | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dave R,
Don't know why I'm dooin' this since you're had many replies. But.....I've killed right at 2000 coyotes over the years....most with a 223, a 222 mag imp and the 17 Rem. Have taken probably around 700-800 of those with the 17. I'm a fan of Berger Bullets and have nearly always shot the 30 grainers. Seldom have I had one get away, unless it was gut shot and quickly ran down a hole. Berger has what are called the MEF bullets (Maxium Expansion Factor) which have a slightly larger hollow point. I am able to push these 30 grainers at 3850'/sec with 24.5 grains of Varget. Great powder and very temperature insensitive. Michael

Posts: 21 | Location: Missoula, Montana 59802 | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New replies always welcome, Michael.

I use 25gr. bullets, since I inherited a large stash of them. I can only drive 'em about 3200fps with my rifle. My Martini Cadet shows signs of sticky extraction beyond that. So my load may not be enough for Coyotes.

But it makes Prarie Dogs fly.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote