THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Red Fox w/ 17hmr (pics added!)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Fox w/ 17hmr (pics added!)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I decided to do something different Saturday morning. Take my Marlin 17VS 17hmr instead of my .243 and hunt the field looking into the woods instead of the woods looking into the field.

The way this part of the field works is it's flat and then goes down a hill and it's woods at the bottom of the hill with a small creek running the outside edge. I crouch down for the last few yards before it drops off and lie down into the prone position and wait a minute or so before I start calling with my newly aquired (a few weeks ago) flame maple Krusty Krier open reed call.

I start off and call a quiet waah wahh for about 35 seconds and stop and wait a few minutes like I always do.

I was just getting ready to put up my hand to call again when I see a flash of red down through the brush. All of a sudden he pops out at the edge of the woods by that creek. I'm waiting to see what he's going to do before I decide to take the shot because I sure wasn't going to put that call back up to my mouth out their in that field! I decided if he was going to turn to go back I would lipsquick and take him at 60 yards if it all worked right.

Finally after a moment of indecision of whether or not to hop over the creek the fox jumps over the creek and starts going down the side of it. I thought well, that's enough. So I lipsquicked and he stopped broadside at about 50 yards and I centered that cheap Tasco scope right behind the shoulder and squeeeezed the trigger. Pop thwack! He was down but still seemed to want to go somewhere so I stood up and put another shot in the same place and he quit moving. I had finally called in and shot my first red fox!

It was a big male..at least I think he was big. Felt like he weighed 20lbs lugging him back to the house. lol I didn't make anymore stands which made for a short hunt as I was happy enough! I took some pictures with my camera of the fox with my gun and the call I used, but unfortunately I don't have a scanner or a digital camera.

That little 17hmr 17gr. V-Max did the job. I'd hate to think what my 243 or 22-250 would have done to it! I passed up a few shots last January at red fox with my 243 because I knew it would just tear the crap out of it. That's what I got the 17hmr for! I love it when a plan comes together. Sure is a nice, soft, thick fur! Anyways hooray! Just thought I'd share.

Matt

This is where I was laying prone at.

Fox with my Krusty Krier

Fox with KK and my Marlin 17vs 17hmr

Same as last only closer up

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Respect for the wildlife, that is what it is all about.Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 19 | Location: Kansas NE | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Congradulations!!! I am glad to hear that the .17 HMR performed well enough. I just bought an H&R Sportsman Rifle in the little .17 Rimfire for the same purpose. But I didn't get a chance to hunt fox this year. I'll give it a try with groundhogs this summer, too. I bought a BSA scope with illuminated crosshairs so I can call them at night. It should be a good rig for what I want.

It looks like you will be hooked on the fox calling now!!! It is a great feeling to shoot the first one!! I still have my first hanging on the wall. I had it tanned, but my toddler daughter tore his tail off!!! Oh well!!!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint101: I am very happy for you and your first Red Fox! Good for you!
The 17 HMR has done NOTHING but impress me since I got mine early last year! I have taken Coyote, Rock Chuck, Skunk, Badger, Prairie Dogs, Jack Rabbits, Ground Squirrels, Wild Turkey, Cotton Tails and several varieties of flying Varmints with my Ruger 17 HMR. My 17 HMR Rifle is VERY accurate! As is every 17 HMR Rifle that my Varminting friends own!
Long live the 17 HMR!
You are exactly right on the larger calibers being overly ruinous of the Fox pelts! I have been partial to the 17 MachIV on Fox for the last couple of years!
I presently have a Weaver straight 15X scope on my Ruger 77/17V. This combo performs amazingly for Colony Varmints of all types but I have been meaning to get a Weaver 4X16 variable for it. The lower powers would be better suited for my night spot-lighting of Fox, Raccoon and Coyotes. My friend from Yelm, Washington has a 4X16 Weaver on his Ruger 77/17V and it really works well for him!
Have a garage sale and put together some bucks to upgrade your scope if you are not happy with the Tasco!
Thanks for the great story and report and congratulations again on your first Fox!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures added

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Nice fox with the 17 HMR, and of couse good choice on the call. Jeff sent me a closed reed about a week ago. That flame maple looks really cool.

Gerry

Posts: 11 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Good job...congrats!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote