THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    A question I asked myself this evening

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question I asked myself this evening
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After dropping a princely sum on a fantastic shooting HS in 204 ruger, I asked myself, how often are you going to use your Sako 22-250 or your 223 Vixen? To which I answered myself not very often, which then begs the question should I sell them? Dies, brass, bullets the works? Keep my new HS and my CZ Hornet? Certainly love those other 2 rifles, just don't think I'll ever need to shoot them?
Help me do the right thing please.....
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Greg...

if you wanted to use that as a reason to ditch the 22.250 and the 223, I can follow that logic somewhat.. I wouldn't look at it that way, but I could follow the logic...

But when you mention that they are both Sakos, that logic I don't follow...

Those are two fine rifles... and to replace them, if the urge to have them returns, would be a pretty expensive proposition.. along with it would be hard to find the older style Sakos...

I'd rather keep them and let them get dusty for a while... than let them go...

but on the other hand, I'd find a way to keep shooting them along with the other rifles you have...

I have way more 223s than I need... but I also have some very nice 223s and 22.250s...more than I really need...but you won't find me thinning out their ranks...because I have managed to gain some very nice ones...quantity isn't hard to get again.. but quality can be...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Fasteel,

Seafire has made some good points. The other thing worth remembering is that Sakos are not possesions they are old friends.

When you are done with an old friend you send them on to someone who will make them welcome and give them the opportunity to do what they love best.

Bearing that in mind and to give your old friends a great time I will PM you my address. They will then be able to become my new friends and you are welcome to visit them anytime.

There that should solve your dilema for you.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
After dropping a princely sum on a fantastic shooting HS in 204 ruger, I asked myself, how often are you going to use your Sako 22-250 or your 223 Vixen? To which I answered myself not very often, which then begs the question should I sell them? Dies, brass, bullets the works? Keep my new HS and my CZ Hornet? Certainly love those other 2 rifles, just don't think I'll ever need to shoot them?
Help me do the right thing please.....
Thanks Greg

I just went through the same situation about a week ago. I've upgraded my collection, and some of my once loved rifles are not getting any use. I asked myself the same identical question you asked yourself, and came to the conclusion that having safe queens is not my thing. So, I've been selling them off. For years, my problem was attachment to these fine rifles, but I've released that attachment, and they are going on to someone who can use them.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel,

If you can afford to keep your old friends...do so. Clean 'em, wipe 'em down and put them in the back of your safe or closet or whatever...

In a couple of years...you might have a chance to break them out again..and trust me...you will be very happy you still have them.

Unless you need the $$$'s right now...give your old friends a place of honor and look in on them now and again...

Cheers.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless of course, you are in the latter stages of life and will definitely never hunt with these old friends again. Even digging out of the safe to shoot occassionally seems improbable. Better to sell to someone who will use and maybe even appreciate? Une th e money for other worthwhile stuff?

Questions I ask myself all the time.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
Don't sell them! I sold a beautiful Winchester Pre-64 model 70 in 220swift many years ago and I can still kick myself for doing so. This rifle still looked like it was out of the box, have a Weaver K10 scope and shot like the hand of god had touched it. That was 20 years ago and I still miss it, feels the same as grieving for a good old dog that passed on. I did it for $$ at the time, I should have just worked a bit more overtime instead.
Just my opinion....

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oopswasthatyourdog?:
Don't sell them! I sold a beautiful Winchester Pre-64 model 70 in 220swift many years ago and I can still kick myself for doing so. This rifle still looked like it was out of the box, have a Weaver K10 scope and shot like the hand of god had touched it. That was 20 years ago and I still miss it, feels the same as grieving for a good old dog that passed on. I did it for $$ at the time, I should have just worked a bit more overtime instead.
Just my opinion....

Ooops,

Welcome to the forums...

There is a guy at the range that shows up with the same rifle. His granddad bought it new in 1941 here in town at the Hardware Store... he used it for deer and elk hunting here in Oregon and had a lot of success with it, on both...

Every time someone asks him does he want to sell it, his response is yes... for $10,000...

he is dead serious, but has had no takers... I have to admit, I sure would love to get my fingers on one... of course I'd love to just have a batch of older Winchesters chambered in rounds like the Swift, the Roberts, the 250 Savage.. rounds that use to be popular that are considered obsolete in todays world...

I have a batch of oldies that I'd never let go..
3 left over from my youth...
a 1966 purchased Model 94,
1 1963 purchased 870 Rem
a 1935 purchased Savage 24 ( 410 and 22 Long rifle)...
Some asshole stole my grandfathers 1935 Marlin 30/30...

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah the hell with it I just flog my 98 540i, never use it anymore either. Maybe I'll just shoot the HS on wednesdays.
Thanks fellows, not near death yet at 52, so I'll hang on to them for a while.

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
Seafire2, thank you for the welcome. If I had the $10,000 I would take it off his hands! Of course that would also cost me a divorce.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$10,000 for a divorce?? CHEAP!! Mine cost me 36.821 acres of ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL views of the mountains here in VA, also a 100,200, 300,400 yard shooting range with a permanent bench. 30+ acres of alfalfa which was sold as baled hay and was a "whitetail magnet" in the community. 30 second ride on a 4-wheeler if you left something in the rifle/reloading room that you needed at the bench .................but the replacement for the "other 1/2 owner" is PRICELESS!! Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Ah the hell with it I just flog my 98 540i, never use it anymore either. Maybe I'll just shoot the HS on wednesdays.
Thanks fellows, not near death yet at 52, so I'll hang on to them for a while.

See it is perspective there Greg.. you have a couple of Surplus Sakos.. and a 98 540 Beamer that you don't use any more...

on my end, I have a 94 Camry and an 88 4 Runner, and I use the Camry even day and the 4 Runner every weekend... plus I own Rugers, wishing I owned Sakos and nice old Model 70s like Ooops speaks about....

At 52 sound like you are in a good place in life... enjoy them or let them go...hell we can't take em with us when we die anyway...

John Quincy Adams

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I may sound good now, but you will regreat it later. Unless you need the money, don't sell them. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only dumped one rifle that I don't regret not owning it anymore- but even then I still think about what I could have done to bring it up to a decent shooting standard.

I've given a few to worthy recipients, however, making the experience bittersweet Cool

a couple of sakos are worth retaining, IMO.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by tin can:
I've only dumped one rifle that I don't regret not owning it anymore- but even then I still think about what I could have done to bring it up to a decent shooting standard.

I've given a few to worthy recipients, however, making the experience bittersweet Cool

a couple of sakos and the CZ are worth retaining, IMO.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I borrow a battery charger from a bud, for the said bimmer and he says if you ever want to sell that car let me know, Whew, lucky I didn't tell him about the rifles.............. FS

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will run into a situation with your 204 where you wish you could shoot heavier bullets. Then you will go back to shooting those lovely Sako rifles.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Hmm.

I am in a similar situation. I have a RRA varmit AR, that to be honest I really don't shoot much. My Savage .223 will shoot much better, and doesn't burn up ammo as fast.

I have been toying with the idea of selling and getting an elk rifle, but I just don't know. With the curent poltical situation it might be one to hold onto.

Thing is to me, rifles are tools, not emotional attachments. I don't own any "pretty" guns, for the simple fact is that all the guns I own I like to shoot with. Which is why the AR might be going to the trade in.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Greg,
Be sure to keep a few that, "THEY" don't know about....
Torg

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern IN. | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is always a bunch of reasons why we do or do not sell a particular firearm. I have bought and sold a bunch of them. and there are a few of them I wish I had back. But I do not cry over spilt milk. As long as these firearms do not have any sentimental value, then do what you need to do.

I only have one point that I consider relevant. You did not say what you will be hunting with the 204, or what distances you are shooting. If you are shooting Ground Hog's with that 204 at longer distances(past 300 yards) then IMO you will be disappointed with that 204, the crawl off's will begin. So I would at least keep the 22-250. As far as the 223 is concerned there is basically no difference between it and the 204 in a hunting situation-so letting it go if you do not like it is no big deal. The 204 may be a bit flatter for PD's, but it has no advantage for ground hog's(I would say it is slightly disadvantaged). Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako's, old bolt Winnies and Good Remingtons. Never sell them. Someone in the family might step up and keep them working long after you are gone. My kid turns 10 in three weeks. He is already making rom for my guns when I die. I got no plans of that anytime soon. I know he will love them as much as I do.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
I can never seem to sell a rifle I own. Every one I have filled a spot at the time I purchased it.

I love wildcats. I have two 223AI's and one standard 223. I have one standard 22-250 and two 22-250 AI's, I have the standard and AI in 12 twist and the other in 1>8 twist.

I have a 458 WM that I built on a Mauser action for Alaska. My Daughter harvested a huge Brown with it. Think I'll ever sell it. No way. Priceless.

I have my Wifes 243 Win that she shot an Antelope with at 480 yds. The Wife has passed away but that rifle will never leave the family.

Every firearm I have fills a niche and they are my friends and I would never sell any of them.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Every one of my friends has a story.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've sold some pistols that I couldn't get to shoot good and a few rifles that wouldn't group worth beans.

I've regretted selling all the pistols and most of the rifles. Sometimes in our collecting we obtained an heirloom that has some family value, fond memories, or may become a family heirloom as memories are created with it. I had a Ruger .270 that I couldn't get to shoot much under 1.5" with careful reloading that is now the proud possesion of my son and daughter-in-law who are putting it to good use and have shot some big elk and bucks with it and are now making their own memories with it and have no idea that it is not a paper puncher supreme.

Buy as good a quality as you can afford and keep it for future generations.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need them, then sell them..I have sold many a collector item before it was a collector, but I don't whine over spilt milk..

I really like the old L series Sako rifles..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote