Find
Notify
Tools

Paid this year's dues
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Well the rancher who lets me shoot on his land had his branding round up last weekend. We gathered cattle and fixed fences and corrals all Saturday. Then on Sunday we worked 50 cows, 64 heifers and 5 bulls through the chutes for vaccinations, worming and year branding the replacement heifers. Then we branded, ear notched, tagged, castrated and vaccinated 48 calves.

Man, I'm getting too old to throw calves anymore, I'm still sore all over today. Thankfully we had half a dozen testosterone crazed teenage boys to help out.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which one of the wranglers pictured is you?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Looks like fun but hard work.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Sooooo.......when is the nut fry????

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm the one behind the camera on that shot. I was castrating and ear notching but the one on the right was a heifer so I took the opportunity to take the picture.

We had rocky mountain oysters right after we finished all the calves. Tritip, chicken and antelope over oak coals, potato salad, macaronii salad, two types of chili and ranch beans, garlic bread, etc.

The girl on the left is my oldest daughter and she had her first oyster there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
So you guys don't use rubber rings for castrating calves??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
So you guys don't use rubber rings for castrating calves??

Nope, we use a sharp pocket knife and spray on antiseptic

Frank

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I'm going to tell my mates at P.E.T.A about this Frank stir

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
I'm going to tell my mates at P.E.T.A about this Frank stir

What Frank really meant to say is that "we perform a field surgical proceedure, complete with infection control measures."

Got yer back Frank. jumping Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy does that look familiar, I can still smell the burning hair from last year.
Your supposed to cook those oysters in the branding tubes, the calves look at ya real funny while yer eatin em. Then send them peta idiots a picture and tell em what yer doing.
Testosterone laden teenage ranch kids that know what work really is are a valuable commodity when it comes to throwing calves. Keeps us old guys from lookin bad Wink
That's the best of what the west really is, people helping people. Everyone helps their neighbors at branding time, makes for some great get-togethers (except it smells like burning hair).

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun wkend.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does every cow poke have to wear the same Red plaid shirt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we did that in M-ASSachusetts we would all be arrested and locked in jail. I'm in the WRONG STATE!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RustyD:
Does every cow poke have to wear the same Red plaid shirt?

That was a joke. The guy who owns the ranch wears either bright red or red plaid shirts all the time and so a bunch of the guys all went out and bought identical shirts just for the heck of it. I think that there was actually six people in the same color shirts.

Frank