THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Coyote calling - timing of calls

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote calling - timing of calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I use a Johnny Stewart cassette caller. I have heard two schools of thought. Turn it on and leave it on. Turn it on for a minute or two and then silence for a few minutes and then repeat. Fifteen minutes with no response, change location. What do you chaps prefer?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 270WSMMan
posted Hide Post
I prefer to leave it on but I change volume. I start out very soft and work my way to full volume. This takes 2 to 3 minutes. After it is full bore for about 2 to 3 minutes I work it back down. This whole process should take about 10 to 15 minutes.

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 9 | Location: Central AZ USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Gentlemen,
I have been with some very experienced coyote callers in Wyoming recently. I, too, had been a believer in staying on a stand for no longer than 20-30 minutes.
Then, on the last stand of the last day of my recent trip we were feeling reluctant to leave after 30 minutes, so we just kept calling. After calling with a pattern of 1 minute on, 3-4 minutes silent for what seemed like hours, but was only about 40 minutes, the biggest coyote of the weekend came charging in. I've seen a lot of coyotes, but this thing was huge. It really stunned us all, both the timing and the size of the dog. We used electronic and mouth call mixture.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
It varies by location. If it's very open I start loud, call for several minutes, take a break of a couple then call agaim. I wait a minute or two for the first couple three series then space them out more as I call. I stay loud in open country until I see one coming then back off.

In close cover I start quietly, even using a coaxer at times. I call closer together and don't try to get as loud. I call from stands closer together when calling in this fashion.

It really comes back to how it feels. Sometimes I use a yipper, or howl, stay on the stand for much longer. If you want a Bobcat, plan on staying put for at least 45 minutes. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of 270WSMMan
posted Hide Post
I guess every place is different but I have never had anything come in after 25 minutes. The two bobcats I have killed have been between 10 and 20 minutes. I have sat as long as 45 -50 minutes on one stand several times and never had anything come in. But in Central AZ it is thick cedars and sound does not carry as far as in open meadows.

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 9 | Location: Central AZ USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't called for about 15 years...so the coyotes may have changed Roll Eyes I used to stay an hour by the clock at least at every set up. It takes a while to choose a good location imho and once chosen it should be worked until you're sure. Remember that old coyote has all day to come and check out what's going on. He's got nothing to lose by coming in fast or slow and I've seen most of mine after the first 1/2 hour. It seems to work way better the colder it is...they need more calories. Once it's below 20c it's time to get the snow shoes out!!!

the chef

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've had many come charging in within the first 20 minutes or so, but can't begin to tell you how many have come in well after that. The more open the area and the farther the sound carries the longer you need to stay.

I've had exactly one Bobcat come running in. Several have taken around 30 minutes but one took nearly 1 1/2 hours. He was spotted after an hour and ten minutes but took 10 to 15 more to get into shooting position. My uncle was quite patient and if it hadn't been for him I'd have walked off while some of these were still on thier way in. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I personally believe with the JS cassette caller you are better off to let it run. The biggest mistake callers make with it is turning it up too loud. A good rule of thumb is 10-15 minutes for fox, 20 minutes for coyotes, and 30 minutes for bobcats. Moving and messsing with the caller will lose you more animals than anything else.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. Will try a few of the recommended techniques.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some more info....I never had a set up that I didn't get something to come, if I was willing to sit at it. It's easier to sit on your ass and call than to find another set up.

the chef