THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I dont know if anyone has done this, but I would like to see pics and specs of everyone elses varmint rifles.

Posts: 11 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=262079&c=529&z=1"] [/url]]22-250[/URL]
Here is one of mine to get it started. Remington VLS in 22-250 with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 scope.

posted Hide Post
[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=262085&c=529&z=1"] [/url]]Savage 223[/URL]
Here is one more. A Savage model 12 in 223 w/6-20x44 Simmons Aetec scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres my rig; vssf 22/250 with leupold 6.5-20x40 Vari X111 Leupold.

Shoots very well with win supreme 50 gr ballsitic silver tips.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Craig22
posted Hide Post
[URL=

6/284 with 6x18 leupold

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Great photos guys, nice rifles all around!

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Rem M7 22-250[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=258025&c=545&z=1"] [/url]][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=258025&c=545&z=1"] [/url][/URL]

NRA Life member, H-D FLHTC, Hunter Ed instructor, And a elk huntin' fool!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 6-.284? What is the stock you have on it? It's very attractive. About the first picture, of your Rem. VLS, did they come with thumbhole stocks at one time or is the rifle one you restocked? Very nice collection of varmint rigs. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The stock on my VLS came from the factory like this. It is a limited edition Remington put out. Took a little getting used to, but now I love shooting with it.

Picture of Craig22
posted Hide Post
My 6/284 stock is a McMillan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Here is my Rem 788, 22-250, new Wilson 1-9 twist barrel 26" long, it now has a 6x24 Tasco Mildot scope. Fatory wood stock with my artistic additon of camo paint. Shoots 60grn Sierra JHP into one hole at 100yds with H380 powder.
Mike

My back up is my Contender Super 14" .223AI with TC scope. Shoot Nosler 50grn Ballistic tips.

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old when you quit playing.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
PDHntr1,

The stocks you make are a work of art!!! Do you make stocks for others, or just for your own pleasure?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
mike_elmer,

Thank you for the compliment.

Besides my own I build rifle stocks for a small, but dedicated bunch of missfits like myself. nut This passion must remain a hobby for the time being as I still have a regular job, although I usually spend 30+ hours a week on it when building a stock. When I am not building stocks I am reloading.

There are no two stocks alike as the pistol grips of my thumbhole stocks are form fitted to the customers hand, and I inlet and pillar bed the action, so this requires the client and barreled action to be in my shop (in N.Wis) at some time during the build. As you can tell this is not conducive to building stocks for mail order.

Also, I cannot control the quality, fit and finish of a stock I ship out to someone for them to do the final inletting, etc.

With that said, if you have an idea that you think might work out for both of us, you can try to pm me with your e-mail if you like. I haven't tryed to pm anyone with this new software so don't trust it yet. Thanks again.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my Browning BLR 81 in 223 after a run of 4 of 4!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/biljaxrep/detail?.dir=/f332&.dnm=4b25.jpg

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two favorite Varminters right now.

The first is my little Marlin 17VS in 17HMR.
It's shown with the pattern I made up for my "Ultra Marksman" stock design for the Marlin bolt guns(which badly need a decent handle on them)This little gun will group like the m700 below on a good day with it's favorite ammo..

The second is my m700 VLS in 22-250- here is a pic of it and some three shot groups with handloads using the 55g Vmax and Varget.Other than adjusting the trigger and free floating the barrel,this gun is bone stock.I like it..

posted Hide Post
My NEF Sportster .17HMR
Excellent for groundhog, skunk, crowes, turkey, coyotes (surprisingly lethal), and squirrels.

This is the picture from the H&R site; mine just has a sling and a cheap-cheap Tasco scope mounted. Single-shot, break-open action w/ bull barrel; paid $130 for it - best investment I've made in a long time.

Posts: 7 | Location: Stuarts Draft, Augusta County, Virginia, USA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
PD what kind of groups does that CZ shoot?? also what is your opinion of the 527 action for a custom varmit rig

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post

CC,

It is way more accurate than I am. I know the barrel is quality but I think the 8 twist has something to do with it also. Only a hunch though.

I really like the CZ 527 for a donor action. There are few actions that "feel" like they do. The size of them "fits" the .223 theme. I set out to make this into an accurate walk-about and the results exceeded my expectations. I couldn't be happier.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have fallen in love with the feel of the actions, they are the smoothest I have. I am just not sure how stiff the 527 action is, the carbine I bought had the action screws torqued like a garrilla, the action was not as smooth as it is now after I just snugged the screws, so I think the action was slightly binding. doesn't seem to affect accuracy though as both of mine shoot great. They offer a lot of advantages over typical rifles mainly in the compactness and weight dept. I also like the triggers on them

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
heres my short range PD gun, CZ 17 Varmiter with Aetec 3-9, but I need a better scope on it, however I had it handy and tossed it on, looking to swap it out with a leupold at some point...

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:

CC,

It is way more accurate than I am. I know the barrel is quality but I think the 8 twist has something to do with it also. Only a hunch though.

I really like the CZ 527 for a donor action. There are few actions that "feel" like they do. The size of them "fits" the .223 theme. I set out to make this into an accurate walk-about and the results exceeded my expectations. I couldn't be happier.

Jim

Jum how far were you shooting the CZ 223 and getting that nice group?

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Cold,

I have a 110 yard course behind the house. It was shot there. (at 110 yds)

One warm day last fall, when the Asian Lady Beetles were flying around, I took a large sheet of white paper and set it up on the backstop. The beetles would land on the white paper and start walking around. It was a warm day so they were moving pretty quickly. I set up the CZ and started shooting at them. Let me tell you, shooting moving beetles at 110 yds is GOOD practice. About the time you get the lead figured on one, they abruptly change direction and you miss. I did manage to average about 6 kills per 20 rounds. When you hit one, they leave a little orange spray on the paper.

OK, OK, I know this seems like the desperate crys of a demented soul? But I was going through pd withdrawal and I wasn't responsible for my actions!!

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cpayneusn: Nifty little rig you have there! I to have great admiration and trust in the 17 HMR cartridge as I have cleanly killed two Coyotes with mine as well as a host of other Varmints including Badgers, Rock Chucks, Porcupine, feral cats, Prairie Dogs, Jack Rabbits, Snowshoe Hares and a hoarde of Ground Squirrels among other Varmints! I also find the 17 HMR amazingly lethal on Wild Turkeys! In Montana we can use Rifles and Pistols as well as shotguns during the fall Turkey season but its shotguns only in the spring season here.
My purpose for posting is to inquire if you had any fail to fire incidents with your NEF in 17 HMR?
My friend here in Montana has had two of them and both only discharge the cartridge on a sporadic basis! The first one ignited the cartridges at an even 50% clip!!! The replacement NEF ignites the cartridges only at a 60% of the time pace!!! Both little Rifles were extremely accurate. I did the scope mounting and range work initial sight in for my friend on both of his Rifles. This latest NEF is so accurate I begged him not to return it and for us to simply try and repeatedly clean and try to "break-in" this Rifle to see if it will correct itself!
I was just wondering if you had any similar problems with your exact same Rifle as my friends?
How does your NEF shoot by the way - accuracy wise?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: Welcome to the AR Varminting forum by the way!

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy:

I have had no such problems with my NEF. Neither has my uncle (who introduced me to the rifle) for that matter. We both love ours. In fact, a good friend of mine recently purchased one for himself as well - they're going like crazy out here. I'm thinking it must have just been a fluke for you guys, and I'm sorry to hear it.
Lucky for us here in VA - we're not restricted to Shotgun only for the spring season
thumb

As for accuracy: I grouped 3 from 100 yards within 1/4" ... I'm sure it was more operator error than rifle - this thing is amazingly accurate.

Another testament to this rifle (and to the .17 HMR) - I dropped a groundhog from 178 yds from the shoulder. With the barrel being as heavy as it is, it balanced out amazingly well when shooting down-field without a rest.

Hope that helped, and happy hunting

- Caleb

Posts: 7 | Location: Stuarts Draft, Augusta County, Virginia, USA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
Jim, not sick, but clearly a sign of a man who can think up things to keep him interested in target shooting as opposed to punching plain ole paper holes for groups, i have to do the same form time to time, and i like that idea...might have to try it...so 110 yard groups, did you do a trigger job?

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Cold,

(with index finger on lips) Sshhhhhhh. (whispering now, looking to see if anyone is listening) Yes, I replaced the trigger spring....don't tell anyone!

The set trigger is great, but not for me. The factory spring was a little on the heavy side for me, so I replaced it with a softer and slightly longer one. Turned it into one of the sweetest triggers I have.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cpayneusn: Yes you are probably right about the flukieness of getting two B.O. NEF Rifles in a row. We are seeking out and trying some things to alleviate this situation. Like I said I got to set up both Rifles with scopes and do the initial sight in for both. They both shot well but the second Rifle is really a winner in the accuracy department!
I am hoping to get it to working properly before long - as the Ground Squirrel season is about to get rolling (as soon as this blizzard passes maybe!).
Great shot there for you on the Groundhog!
I have long been a proponent of long heavy barrels just for that reason. The more mass the slower my jiggles and wobbles. Combining a long heavy barrel with a good sling really steadies ones sight picture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

For stationary varmints: Custom Rem 700 with Hart 223Rem AI 24" bull barrel and Fajen Ace Varminter stock with Burris 8x32 scope.

Walking for varmints: Browning single shot model of 1885 in 22-250 Rem with 28" barrel and B&L Balvar 6x24 scope. Hart accuracy assist on forend.

Both have strain gauges for Oehler M43PBL.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Here is my rig, nothing special but i like it!
Sako forester L579 varmint tipe cal 243w with meopta 3-12*50 scope on pic, has now an leopold 6,5-20*44 scope!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Cold,

(with index finger on lips) Sshhhhhhh. (whispering now, looking to see if anyone is listening) Yes, I replaced the trigger spring....don't tell anyone!

The set trigger is great, but not for me. The factory spring was a little on the heavy side for me, so I replaced it with a softer and slightly longer one. Turned it into one of the sweetest triggers I have.

Jim

was it a brookie trigger kit from www.cz452.com

?

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Cold,

Different trigger group than a 452.

I found a spring I thought would work while rumaging through one of those little clear plastic bins in the cabinet in my gunsmiths shop when he wasn't looking. Matched the diameter, thinner wire (less resistance), ground it until it was slightly longer. It worked and once again I proved even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of my rem 700 VSSF 22-250. It's wearing a bell and carlson carbelite snow camo stock. 6x24 mildot bsa. Works great pretty easy to haul around all day in the snow.
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=572261111855630553/l=44632248/cobrandOid=1000131/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my older .223 Cooper VE 21 (no ugly slots in the forearm)....The group measures .178...5 shots at 100 yds. My best ever...No neck turning, No brass sorting..Win Brass, Nosler 40 gr. BT's...It will crank out sub .5 moa groups with boring repetition, with the occasional gem like this group.

I wish I could get a picture that would do the 3D nature of the AAA Walnut on the buttstock..truly amazing. As I said, this is an older cooper, back when they put some serious wood on them for not too much extra....

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dachsterrier
posted Hide Post
Here's my favourite "walking" varmint rifle.
Its a Sako Vixen L461 produced in 1981. I bought it second handed 6-7 years ago.
It was orginally chambered in 222, but I changed the barrel 3 years ago to the sweet wildcat 6X45.
The barrel is a stainless 20" Lothar Walter 18 mm (3/4") at the muzzle.
I also use this rifle for roe deer hunting and thats why its topped with a Swarovski 3-12X50 illuminated reticle.

Recently I bought this Ruger M77 second handed, from a now deceased weapon collector.
According to the serial number its produced in 1977.
It has a tang safety and adjustable trigger which I like much better than the new MKII.
It hasn't been much used and is in very good shape.
It has a 24" barrel and is 19 mm (3/4") at the muzzle.
It came with org. mounts and a Weaver 2,5-7.
I've cleaned the barrel and done some small testing at the shooting range, shooting at electronic targets, so i really doesn't know accurate it is.
But its look like a tack driver, according to the screen.
I have to get a better scope and test it on paper targets.
I'm thinking about getting a Zeiss Conquest 6,5-20X50 for it.

"The trouble with loving is that pets don't last long enough, and people last too long !"

My homepage

Posts: 38 | Location: Norway | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how does the LW barrel shoot

One of Us
Picture of Dachsterrier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
how does the LW barrel shoot

I think that question is for me Roll Eyes
It shoot vey well. thumb
I dont have any photo of the groups too prove my words, but almost every load is a tack driver if i do my work.
70 grs Sierra match king is the most accurate bullet I've tested.
I have loaded bullets from the light 55 grs Nosler Ball. Tip at about 3200 f/s to as heavy as 90 grs Lapua Mega at 2600 f/s.

"The trouble with loving is that pets don't last long enough, and people last too long !"

My homepage

Posts: 38 | Location: Norway | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here are my Varmint Guns. Built both of them myself. Only difference in the two is one is a 16 inch Match barrel and the other is a 24 inch Ultra Match barrel. Both have National Match 2 Stage Triggers, Hogue Grips, Free floated barrels, Ace Skeleton stocks, Harris bipods and Bushnell Elite 3200 Mil-Dot scopes. Both do 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

TC

posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are my Varmint Guns. Built both of them myself. Only difference in the two is one is a 16 inch Match barrel and the other is a 24 inch Ultra Match barrel. Both have National Match 2 Stage Triggers, Hogue Grips, Free floated barrels, Ace Skeleton stocks, Harris bipods and Bushnell Elite 3200 Mil-Dot scopes. Both do 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Very nice rifles. How much velocity do you lose between the two different barrel lengths.

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Dachsterrier,

I enjoyed your webpage. I have difficulty with the language, but your photos tell the story by themselves.

Regards,
Ed

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote