THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Higher Trajectory w/Shooting Sticks?????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Higher Trajectory w/Shooting Sticks?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have zeroed my 22-250 for 260yrds shooting on my shooting sticks (supporting the stock tight to the front of the swivel stud) so the arc of the bullet will not be more than 2" above or below the line of sight out to 300yrds. When I shoot without the shooting sticks the bullet impacts 2" lower @ 100yrds than with the sticks. I knew this would be the case if I rested the barrel on a rest, but this is happening with the stock on the sticks. I imagine some bipod shooters may have encountered this also. I don't have time in the near future to test at longer ranges so do I just plan on a impact 2" less @ 260yrds when not using the sticks or is it affecting my arc? This one has me a little puzzled.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it tested different then you cannot trust switching.

Do you have padding on the sticks? That might make them hit the same as the other rest.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
It's not affecting the bullet, it is affecting the movement of the rifle during recoil. Roughly speaking, a rifle recoils about 1/8th of an inch before the bullet leaves the barrel. Any difference in hold, butt pressure, etc, will change the angle of the barrel at the point of bullet departure, and thus, the impact of the bullet.

And the only way to know is to practice from different positions. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the guns I have free floated I don't see the impact change near as much when switching from bag to bipod to sticks.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what you guys say makes a lot of sense. This is my first time shooting w/sticks (I don't use them for big game, but the little critters need more accuracy). The rifle is Rem700ADL synthetic that has two pressure points on either side of the barrel at the end of the stock so I can see where padded sticks or free floating would help if not correct. With it shooting 2" higher @ 100yrds does it mean it will shoot 5" higher @ 250yrds (2moa effect, etc.) or will it be 2" higher at 250yrds (I will guess 5" since when I zeroed off my sticks after initially zeroing off sandbags I had to adj scope about 2moa)?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of sticks that are cheap and flex some when shooting. I consistently shoot lower with the sticks. I tried a pair of Stoney Points and impact was very similar to bench. Just a thought.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote