Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith needed
 Login/Join

posted
I want to rebarrel,true action and install brake on my Rem. 700,223. Does anyone have a really good gunsmith that does this work on a regular basis? I have seen Darrell Hollands adds in Varmint Hunter Magazine. Has anyone used him and did you like his work? Thanks, Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Davel: I have two Varminters made by Darrell Holland. They both shoot splendidly!
One is a 223 Remington and the other is a 6mm Remington Ackley Improved! Both are built on Remington 700 actions.
I have known Darrell for many years and have traded guns and scopes with him for all that time at Gunshows.
He is an impeccably honest person as well as being a first rate Riflesmith.
I highly recommend him.
If you are in the north west corner of the USA then I have one more first rate gunsmith who really knows Remington 700's! His name is Dan Cowen of Renton, Washington. I have known Dan for 30 years now and have a couple of his Rifles also. I know many people who use him for re-barreling and I have seen him chamber custom barrels and he is a patient and meticulous gunsmith!
His phone is 425-227-9280.
Either man will do an excellent job for you.
Wishing you well on your project!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy,
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Darrell two weeks ago and he sounded very confident of his work. My local gunsmith in Arizona was great but he not taking on any work right now. He got a regular job. Do Darrells guns shoot good and what maker barrels did he install? Thanks, Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Davel: According to my loading log the best 5 shot 100 yard group I made with Darrell Hollands 6mm Remington Ackley Improved measured .380"! Hart barrel this one.
I consider this VERY good accuracy on such a large cartridge! Remember I was using Hunting type bullets and a Varmint Hunting type scope.
The Darrell Holland built 223 used a Shilen barrel. Its best group at 100 yards measured .270" with the Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tip and 6.5x20 Leupold scope in use.
Its last sight in verification group measured .301" for 5 shots at 100 yards!
In all of the load testing I did with this Rifle my loading log shows NO 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring OVER 1.000"! In fact the largest group was .921" and the next LARGEST group was .711"!
This Rifle really shoots well and consistently! No heat induced flyers or "walking" of shots once warmed up!
I had Darrell install one of his fine Muzzle brakes on this 223. I am not sure if I would have that done again as I often shoot from the prone position on Colony Varmint Hunts and the brake works fine BUT it sucks up dust into a cloud more distinctly than other Varminters I own that have no brake. Again this is only a slight hinderance - if I am over dusty ground, my sight picture is obscured by the rising dust cloud!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Dave,

PM sent.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have a Holland gun, it is what they now call the GPVR and it is outstanding. It is a 223 with a 26" Kreiger barrel with that butt ugly brake Mad If I had it to do over, I would omit the brake. The gun prints 1/4" groups all day long off the bench and bags and the jewell trigger is just plain perfect. I would be hard pressed to find or build another rifle that would do any better.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another good guy is jim kobe he posts every so often in the gunsmithing forum. I've got one of his creations that will consistently group under .2

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Butchloc'
Do you have a phone number or web site for Jim Kobe
Thanks, Dave

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Davel, The heart of this is the barrel and if you choose a good smith (meticulous)you would do well. But like most of the other reponders I would delete the brake on a .223 and add 2" of real barrel. If you use a varmint weight barrel the recoil will be practically non existant, and the view of impact should not be a problem with proper hold. My 2 cents.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look in Nosler's Reload Manual.. You will notice that the Head Guys over at Nosler, mention having rifles done by Darryl Holland a lot... That should account for his quality of work...

He is located virturally in the middle of Nowhere, in Powers Oregon....NOT that, that matters one way or another....Remingtons are his specialty... Never heard anyone complain about his rifles.. or his work... I see a lot of his rifles at the local range... by those that can afford to buy about anything...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
308 Sako
I have a Remington factory varmint barrel now and I cannot see my shots, thats why I want the brake. I know they look odd, especially Hollands but I shoot prarrie dogs by myself and don't have a spotter. Lots of times I don't know if I had a hit or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Davel, the holland I have weighs in at 15lbs. I have zero problems seeing impact on sage rats for as far as I want to shoot.
I might also suggest the Holland stock, it is truley amazing.

What is your gun going to be, a bench gun or a walking varmitter? As said above, you can't go wrong with Holland. I have also heard nothing but positive comments about Jim Kolbe and I am sure he can build a gun to match the Holland with the same type parts.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jimmy223,
I think there is a big difference in the weights of my factory Remington and your Holland built 223. It looks like I need to order it with the barrel you have and not the Remington Varmint taper. By the way what taper is your barrel? Darrell lists a #7 and #8 as barrels heavier than the Remington. Also what twist did you get and do you know the neck size? I will use the gun as a varminter off my bench only. I have a Remington LVSF-223 that is my walk around gun. I am really looking hard at Darrell's laminate stock because I never cared for the syn. stock that came on the gun.(old style,too narrow forend and no palm swell like the new ones.) Thanks so much for the info, this is really helping me make up my mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Davel, the barrel contour is the #8 and rate of twist is I think 1 in 8. As to the neck chamber not sure, but it is a tight chamber. I don't reload as I don't have the time anymore and would rather spend my time shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
davel you have a pm

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of partsman
posted Hide Post
JBelk or celt killpc

"The problem with the gene pool is there is no lifeguard"

Posts: 171 | Location: Poco , B.C. Canada | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote