New
Find
Notify
Tools

Even Taller Tales
 Login/Join

posted
I believe that some shooters do stretch the truth but I am convinced that:
(a) there are a few expert shooters who actually can hit targets at really long distances and
(b) given a lot of $ to buy a dumptruck load of gear, their task is much easier.
If one relies more and more on the gear, who gets the credit? The shooter or the gear? The uninitiated have no concept of the difficulties that arise. To illustrate this I will relate a true story of long distance shooting in Canada:

I had always wanted to shoot varmints at long range in the prairies. It is flat there and long range varmint shooting is possible. BC is mostly mountainous and long flat places are rare.

The research team to which I was attached assembled a .303-577 wildcat on a single shot Munchausen action. A brawl erupted over scope choice and two of the technicians required medical advice. Finally we glued a Leupold to a Swarovski and peace returned. We poured the concrete for the pad, eventually the snow melted and prairie varmint shooting commenced. More trouble appeared. As with all pure research, unforeseen gremlins reared their ugly heads.

We couldn't plot the fall of shot because the Rocky Mountains were in the way. Damn. Finally we received permission to install giant mirrors on the highest peaks. Onwards!

Once again our special hand made depleted Imodium bullets flew towards their distant targets. Then the law tried to stop us. A lond distance phone call from an Alberta Conservation Officer. Do we have Alberta hunting licences? Well, no, of course not, we are in BC.

The matter is presently before the courts so we cannot comment further at this time. And you think we got it easy?

Posts: 18 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
touche , fraiser , touche

Posts: 25 | Location: patton pennsylvania usa | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
"depleted Imodium bullets "

Aren't these pointed at both ends??

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fraser, that was wonderful. Wiping up spewed coffee here. You might try depleted suppositorium bullets next. There will be a very big fight over who gets to fetch them.

I designed a varmint cartridge with 3 necks based on the 218 Bee with a .338 Winchester mag and a 50 BMG. It shoots so flat that the drop matches the curvature of the earth and unless you put a backstop behind you, the bullet will circumnavigate the globe and slap you between the shoulder blades. Just the thing for Boyd and his exploits. The cartridge below is a .338 for comparison. It shoots a 45 grain hornet bullet at light speed.

-

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Sorry,but I'll have to pass on that one....I'll stick with my Ultra and The MK's [Big Grin]

<JimF>
posted
FR & CS:

Perfect. I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
My God! What's this world coming to? I loved it so well I feel like commiting myself.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank the Lord for free thinkers and the occasional twisted mind.......... [Big Grin]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote