New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 grain A Max in 22 Caliber!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet... was surfing on the Midway web site and saw that they have an 80 grain A MAX in 22 caliber... went to the Hornady site and they verify it as a new product....

Anyone use this Baby yet???

NOt really sure if a one in 9 twist Savage in 223 will stabilize it.... but I also have a 22.250 with a one in 8 twist, on a Ruger action....That this would be a fun toy to play around with....

really getting a little nuts in my thoughts... but how bout this on a 22/284 case with a one in 8 twist for those prairie dogs WAAAAAY out there??? bewildered or BOOM

Glad to see manufacturers are still coming out with good ideas....

also wonder how this might do on an antelope or a similar sized deer???

Will have to order some of these and try them out... looks very interesting....

Also considering a one in 5.5 inch twist barrel on a Savage action, chambered in 22.250 on a long action to seat some of those 90 grain Sierra Match bullets out there... or maybe a 22/243....on that set up... things to day dream about when one has insomnia!!!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
My son has a Krieger barreled Ruger No1V in 22/250 that has had about 3500 rounds through it. It is almost shot out, but with the 1:7.75 twist it has been shooting 80gr Sierra's, 80gr Berger bullets and as of late, 75gr A-max bullets. The Sierra's shoot the best, but the Bergers and A-max bullets kill the prairie dogs a bit better. We will rebarrel it in 204 Ruger after next years prairie dog shoot.

Nice concept, but a bit overbore. My Kimber Longmaster in 204 Ruger will shoot with it past 600 yards, not to mention my 6.5x55 Sweed with 95gr V-max bullets in a Blaser R93 is a better choice for the long range prairie dogs.

Have fun with it though, the fast and heavy 22's are great in the wind.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f224:

Nice concept, but a bit overbore. My Kimber Longmaster in 204 Ruger will shoot with it past 600 yards, not to mention my 6.5x55 Sweed with 95gr V-max bullets in a Blaser R93 is a better choice for the long range prairie dogs.

Have fun with it though, the fast and heavy 22's are great in the wind.

Umm, I have a .220 Swift with a fast twist barrel and when it comes to shooting in the wind, nothing tops it (except a higher BC at a faster velocity). I don't see how the .204 can touch the 75 grain A Max in the wind - my ballistics program (which seems pretty accurate based on my KD shooting) has a 33 AMax .204 at 4100 fps drifing 1.3 inches per mile of wind speed at 400 yards, while the .224 75 AMax drifts a less than half of that (.6 inches) at 3200 fps.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire,
I don't believe you will need a 5.5 twist with those cartridges. I think a 1-6 or maybe even a 1-6.5 twist would work well.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For every 1" faster in twist you will lose 100 FPS. Also bullet jackets fly apart faster.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote