THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    The best factory varmint rifle
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best factory varmint rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
For me my XR 100 in 20 VarTarg is about as good as it gets. 4-16 Monadch and a 35gn Berger at 3700fps gets the job done on rabbits, hares and the ocasional goat or two.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cooper MTV in the 204 Ruger!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the oldies but goodies..My all time favorite is the Sako L-46 and L-461..I have a 6x45 custom in the L-461 with custom stock and mod. 70 custom built safety..It wieghs 5.3 pounds and shoots tiny little groups..My other two are a mod 600 Rem and a mod 722 Rem. both in 222 Rem. from time to time I have added a .223 Ruger or 22-250 but ended up selling them in every case??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my Remington VSSFII in 22-250, 22-250AI and 260Rem is the most accurate factory platform I've ever owned. Before I did all this work to it, in 22-250 it would consistently shoot into the .2's. After the mods to a switch barrel, pinned extra thick Tubb recoil lug, jewel trigger and action truing/blueprinting, it shoots into the high .1's. I don't think any other factory platform would be this accurate to start with, most of what I've done to it probably wasn't needed, but piece of mind makes for better shooting.

I also have a lovely little Sako L461 Vixen in 222Rem that I just love walking around with shooting rabbits and whistling in foxes, and it's also very accurate for a walk about rifle.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202..bought used..with an old S&B 2.5-10x56 scope..shoots quarters consistently with 47gr Varget behind 55 BTIP

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is one the older 1990s Winchester M70 Heavy Varmints in the HS stock with the aluminum bedding block and the SS barrel. All factory Winchester and weighs in at 10.5 lbs without its Talley mounts and rings and the Leupold 8.5 x 25 that it wears today. Just a tack driver with a Federal 69 gr Sierra Gold Medal Match or a hand load.

Now I am going to have to take it, a 22 mag, and a AR on one of these dog town shoots one day.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
East of Mississippi, my favorite lightweight walking/calling coyote rig is a HK 630 with Leupold 2 x 7 compact scope. 223Rem is a great all around cartridge. This rifle is very fast to get on target and cycles very smooth for follow up shots if necessary. This rig loves the Berger 52 grain bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr Luxus SL in 222 Remington with a set trigger and a 4.5x14 Leupold.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
mine is a 20 vartarg. t/c encore, high plains gun stock, 16 1/4" mgm barrel, and a 6-24x bushnell. 32 gr nosler varmagedon with a charge of h4198, anything within 300 yards is smoked!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Blaser R8 with a 6BR match barrel...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With the bolt on the WRONG side :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

With the bolt on the WRONG side :-)

You got that right, I have shot blasers since the late 90s, and I have to say this is the best shooting rig I have ever shot. It shoots 95 grain bergers into bug holes.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Thompson Center Contender in .223, with a 21" heavy barrel. I use this as my walking around varminter. It's light and easy to pull up and get on target.

Remington SPS Varmint in .243, with a 26" heavy barrel. I replaced the Remington stock with a HS Precision stock. I use this one for the long range shots.

Jim

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Whenever I go out for varmints, coyotes, etc, it always seems that no matter what guns that I bring on the hunt, my Savage 22.250 is always in the group.

Of course, it's not stock.
The action was squared up,
The cocking ramp recut,
Sharpshooter Supply match trigger,
Precision ground barrel lug and barrel nut
Oversized bolt knob installed,
Pacnor supermatch 1:10" twist, 3 groove barrel
Chambered cut to minimum dimensions with a .250" neck.
And a Choate stock.

Heck, I don't even know if it's still a Savage.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I originally started this post, a buddy talked me out of my Browning 22-250. I have went back to my old standby, Remington LVSF in 223 with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 and my most important accessory, Jewell trigger set at 1.5 lbs. I am impressed reading thru the variety of deadly devices being used. I too have used an AR-15 over the years, they are a super varmint smoker. Good luck and good shooting!

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote