THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Some scope opinions please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Some scope opinions please
 Login/Join

posted
Maybe I should try this on the optics page huh? Not a lot of action here.

Thanks for trying.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two sightron 6x24's I had came with sunshades. IMO for the price of those two scopes I'd get a VX11 6x18 or a nice used 6.5x20 Leupold. I know the optic are better in a leupold than in a sightron.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't comment specifically on what you're after, I'm interested in the Weaver GS myself.
I did try a cheap 6x24 and it was usless in the field above 16x. I traded the rifle off that I had the scope on and I let it go in the trade.
I'd own more expensive glass if money weren't an issue but it always is. I may try a Nikon Monarch. I saw them on a "sale" and am tempted. Hmmm.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Weaver V-24's, and like them very much. I also have a Nikon Monarch, 6.5-20. It's a nice scope, but for the money I could have had another V-24 and about $80 in change. I think the V-24 is a great buy for the money.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Bushnell 4200 series. I have several of the 6-24X and a friend of mine just bought an 8-32X. The optics are excellent. The only thing I don't care for about these scopes is the length. If Bushnell ever decides to make the 8-32X available with the 1/4" dot, I will own several of them. As of now the only reticle available is the duplex. [What I would really like to see Bushnell make is a 30mm Side focus in the 8-32X range with a 3/16" dot reticle]

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent used those two specifically, but the reticle choice you have comes highly recomended.

Posts: 25 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold's are tough to beat. Sightron's can't be beat for the $.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Sightron 6-24 about a year ago to use as a test scope. Of course it would be used for varmint hunting as well.

I admit that I had not seen that particular model before, only pictures. When I opened the box the sloppy two color day glow paint on the AO's graduations hurt my eyes from an asthetic standpoint.

I closed the box and sent it back. Most of my rifles are nice ones, in my eyes, and that scope did not match.

Later in a Cabelas I noticed that the Bushnell 4200's have a lot of paint on the AO as well. They are just not to my taste.

While my particular point may not mean that much to you at all it seems that with optics each person may be quite different and for that matter each device my vary somewhat also. Perhaps it's a good idea to go to a very large store, prepared with what the prices should be, and to pick out what you like for yourself.

My defaut brand had been Leupold. What with what's going on and knowing that the Conquest's are superior my faith in Leu is shaken.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thought I replied to this one earlier, hope my post doesn't show up twice.

I bought the Weaver for my Savage 10FP bargain basement pest pounder. Its great for the money, $250 used from a guy who won it at an RMEF event and then sent it off to have a varmint reticle installed. Don't have the sun shade, would be nice.

The sod rats show up very nicely, love the clarity.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote