New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot shells for yotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm adding a shotgun to my calling battery (like I need more stuff to tote). What shot size is best? My shotgun has screw in choke tubes and I was thinking full choke. I've got 00, but was thinking of #4 Buck. What has worked best for you?

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
If you reload your own shells, try loading up some lead BB's.If your not a reloader use some 3 inch hevi shot in #2 shot. You should be able to reach out there at least 40-45 yards max with a full chock. Make sure you pattern your shotgun before attempting any long shots at yotes.Buck-shot will probably tear your fur up to much, especially at shorter ranges.My $.02. Good luck.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Either BB's or #4 buck will work great!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 12 gauge try Federal Premium 3 " 1 7/8 oz copper plated buffered BB , they used to make a 3" 2 oz BB load but I haven't seen it for a while. They work pretty well out to about 35 yards.

The best coyote killing shotgun I've tried is a 10 guage Remington SP-10 with Federal Premuim 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz copper plated buffered BB. It really flames them out.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, IMHO, the best way to go is to load your own - whatever shot size you chose. I experimented with different loads of buffered shot and with a little work wound up with really tight grouping loads of buffered 00 buck. I don't save pelts, however. Check out Ballistic Products, Inc in Corcoran MN. They are pros with this type of stuff.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal 3" #4 buck, Remington Hevi shot 3.5" 2s or BBs. They work pretty darn good.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love to shoot coyotes with a shotgun. I tried all the different shot sizes and have settled on #4 buck. The #2 heavy shot would be my second choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
#2, BB, or #4 Buck. I don't give a hoot about pelts, the only good 'yote is a dead one. Smaller shot usually patterns better. JMO

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote