Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Savage 12BVSS reviews?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted
I've been a Savage owner and shooter for quite a few years and bought a 12BVSS in 22-250 this spring. The accu-trigger wouldn't go down to the advertised 1 1/2# and stopped at 2 1/4# instead, my smith clipped a coil and it dropped to 1 # 13 oz and I was happy with this. I had him bed the gun and made sure the tang and barrel was floating, mounted a 4x16 4200 Elite scope and started working up loads for it. Got it down to 1/4" groups with H380/IMR4895/and IMR4064 but the 4064 was a little better than the other two for accuracy. With 50grain hornady v-max's and 36grains of 4064 with winchester brass and primers it shot 6 straight groups that had an overall average of .244 and the best group was .151. Not bad for an out of the box rifle with a factory barrel and no work outside a $40 bedding job.

The stocks have gotten stiffer in the synthetic line but the SSS stocks made by Kevin Rayford out in Nebraska are the best IMO and have skelton alum. pillar bedding with a solid recoil lug area. Excellant stocks for the $ and very light in weight also. The accu-trigger breaks cleaner than the SSS trigger and has become my favorite, I also have a 16FSS that has been fully worked by SSS and Kevin that with a #2 contour sporter weight barrel is below 1/2" with only about a weeks work so far on load development to this point. I figure it will end up shooting 3's and 4's when all is done, the stockade stocks and the SSS recoil lugs are both worthwhile additions to your Savage, and Fred at SSS or Kevin at Stockade can help with Savage parts as well as some good aftermarket parts to add to your bug holer.The second pic shows the stockade stock on my 16FSS. Good Shooting and remember that quote at the beginning.......

Quote:

It's kind of like having the ugliest dog on the block but nobody says anything cause if they do you'll have him whip their pretty dogs butt.

woods

Savage Shooter

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you may find your Savage 12BVSS has changed a bit on you. I just left the Savage website and
noticed that they've streamlined the stock, got rid of that blocky forend. Actually I find it looks a bit like
the Remington VLS now. I guess they can no longer call it the "ugly rifle." It's far from ugly. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
Well Cal.......since I mainly shoot from a bench or rest with the 12 I kinda like the flat wide forearm and heavy pistol grip feel of the stock I have.I do see what you are talking about with the low profile stock offered now in addition to the original. Kevin offers a bevy of different shapes, weights, and feels for using on my carry guns and I really prefer them for carrying through the pucker brush and falling down in sloughs with. I just was looking at one of the new Savage ML'ers and it also had a different shape and weight laminated stock on it. They'll always be called ugly for that barrel nut that makes barrel changing and headspacing such a breeze with a Savage. I don't find them ugly......I find them VERY accurate

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote