THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    My wife finally discovered my planned P-dog safari!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife finally discovered my planned P-dog safari!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last night I was downstairs watching TV... My wife happened to come downstairs, heading into the laundry room...She walked by the reloading room and seen the light on under the door...MY first mistake....I hate it when that happens... She open the door to turn the light off and seen the ammo boxes stacked up on the bench....Did a quick count of boxes. lol My second mistake was not hiding them under the bench!!! She counted 8 large 100 round boxes, full of course and 18 50 round boxes, full of course....She even went to the trouble to open a few... Me not knowing all this was going on as I was focusing my attention on the TV....Then she came over and started asking questions!!! I hate it when that happens...Her first question was: When are you planning on doing that much shooting? At first I wasn't sure what was going on... My reply was: What are you talking about? She answered: You have too many ammo boxes out for any hunting around here...When are you planning your p-dog trip?...This was the point I knew I was screwed!!! I was about to make my third mistake and use the old ignorance routine and thought better of it.. I then told her the first weekend in JUNE..... She gave me that look, you know THE LOOK!!!and just walked off.... I decided I am being to predictable by leaving evidence laying around and She is becoming a supersleuth!!!

I thought it was going pretty well, with me just getting THE LOOK!!! Until this AM...lol

As I was getting ready for work she asked this question!!! When were you plannin on telling me about the p-dog trip...This was when I made my third mistake, As women have very good memories.. I said: I told you about two months ago!!!! She gave a different look, the your full of BS look and said: Nice try!!!...lol

She knows me too well...At least she has a sense of humor!!!

And the p-dog safari is now on the Home calendar!!!

All in all things went very well...

Cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I left the door to one safe open and the door to the gun room open also (I know, 2 stupid mistakes at one time) and Wifezilla went in and looked in the safe.

Her first question was "How many guns do you have?" then it was "What's in the other safe?"

AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH !!!!!!!

My worst planning boo boo was booking an 8 day long range deep sea trip at the end of June when the second day of the trip was my 25th wedding anniversary! That one cost me a two week, four country trip to Europe.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Frank

LOL Never ever leave your safe open for the wife to see inside...Number one rule!!! LOL

I keep my powder in the safe as well as my weepons....If she seen how much powder IS in the safe...Oh hell not good!!!! Only because she has seen me play with some old excess powder!!!

I know what you mean on the anniversery thing. I once planned a hunting trip over my wifes B-day. Not good, not good at all... That one cost me several diamonds over the years...She brings it up everyonce in a while.. Such is life. LOL

But every time she got a diamond I got a new rifle or two....

So all in all it works out pretty good.

Cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Picture of Froggy6583
posted Hide Post
Man I am lucky... My wife shoots as much as I do. And she also knows what rifles I like. She will let me know when she sees somthing that I could use and brings it home. She also keeps track of the powder and primers. When I am low she picks up more for me at the gunshop. Got to love Her.

Ray

Posts: 6 | Location: USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I read an article once, I believe it was in some outdoor magazine and I have been looking for it ever since. it was hilarious. The subject was how to hide new guns from your wife and preserve marital bliss. The secret was to have an adjustable gun cabinet and always leave one space empty. The theory was the wife couldn't be bothered to count what was in there, just that there was always one space empty, so obviously nothing had changed. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Adams, That was a story written By Patrick F. McManus, in the Book, The Grasshopper Trap, but it probably first appeared in outdoor life. The story was called Metamorphosis and other outdoor phenomena wifes don't understand. Hilarious. Unfortunatly my wife read it too and all his wonderfull techniques are useless to me and i'm forced to sneak and Lie. haha

ricky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most women like to have their own time too. You and your wife need to develop a better dialogue. If she’s open to having both of you to be able to make plans for activities that don’t include both of you. If it turns into a peeing contest every time one of you has something they want to do. Well if that’s the case it’s time to cut your loses and move on.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One shot, The Pdog shooting experience is worth whatever price gets extracted! Wink It is almost impossible to have more fun with your clothes on in north America. Cool I've shot woodchucks in the Catskills since 1963, and the first time I went Pdoggin I couldn't believe the target rich environment. Wink Have a ball and then plan the next outing. Good hunting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308sako,

You are correct!!! I have been on several p-dog treks!! Love shooting the little vermin... My wife is actually very p-dog safari freindly... She says I come home with a whole new outlook on life!!! lol Imagine that!!! Getting rid of all that pent up aggression... The first time I went I took one rifle!!! Huge mistake as I had to purchase a new barrel upon return. This year I am taking four rifles... two 204's, one 22-250, and one 25-06AI....Might take five but the additional rifle will be another 22-250... I can't wait!!! I feel like a kid awaiting a trip to disney! LOL

Cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I thank god I married a southern woman with good christian values. She lets me do my thang without hesitation. Very supportive and understands i graduated from MAN 101 with an A+ so getting big for her britches aint gonna get her anywhere.

Boy I sure talk tough with her upstairs watchin TV and me down here on the computer.

SHHHH shes coming.

Naw just kidding I have a good wife that doesnt complain about all my hobbies and side interests. Keep me out of the bars.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, got you ALL beat!!

I'm single again!!!

Don't have to worry about hiding things.

girl friends don't like it, get another girl friend. More than enough reasons not to get married again.

Suffer and wish guys, hehe!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife loves to know how many guns I have, and how much they are all worth...I am sure she is planning on how much she can sell them all for the day I drop dead.... probably considers it part of her life insurance policy on my fat ass....

I think a lot of wives figure out some day, that we hubbies are worth more dead to them than alive....

she figures they won't go down in value....I've already willed them all to my son, but he is only 11.....Mom will probably "split" them with him...

not sure if this is a good thing or not! bewildered

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oneshot_onekill:
Last night I was downstairs watching TV... My wife happened to come downstairs, heading into the laundry room...She walked by the reloading room and seen the light on under the door...MY first mistake....I hate it when that happens... She open the door to turn the light off and seen the ammo boxes stacked up on the bench....Did a quick count of boxes. lol My second mistake was not hiding them under the bench!!! She counted 8 large 100 round boxes, full of course and 18 50 round boxes, full of course....She even went to the trouble to open a few... Me not knowing all this was going on as I was focusing my attention on the TV....Then she came over and started asking questions!!! I hate it when that happens...Her first question was: When are you planning on doing that much shooting? At first I wasn't sure what was going on... My reply was: What are you talking about? She answered: You have too many ammo boxes out for any hunting around here...When are you planning your p-dog trip?...This was the point I knew I was screwed!!! I was about to make my third mistake and use the old ignorance routine and thought better of it.. I then told her the first weekend in JUNE..... She gave me that look, you know THE LOOK!!!and just walked off.... I decided I am being to predictable by leaving evidence laying around and She is becoming a supersleuth!!!

I thought it was going pretty well, with me just getting THE LOOK!!! Until this AM...lol

As I was getting ready for work she asked this question!!! When were you plannin on telling me about the p-dog trip...This was when I made my third mistake, As women have very good memories.. I said: I told you about two months ago!!!! She gave a different look, the your full of BS look and said: Nice try!!!...lol

She knows me too well...At least she has a sense of humor!!!

And the p-dog safari is now on the Home calendar!!!

All in all things went very well...

Cheers beer

Oneshot,

May I say from experience, you made some rookie mistakes.

OK bud, listen up and take some notes if'n ya have to from a guy who makes at least three trips to Montana each summer.

Your first mistake was not making the connection between the laundry and reloading. If the warsh machine is that close to your reloading stuff........do the laundry. You are not only getting the laundry and some reloading done, your wife will be bragging to all her friends how sweet a husband she has.

OK. Second mistake. Ammo boxes. This is easy and you shouldn't have missed this one. HELLOOOOOO. They are not yours. You are reloading them for buds that are going out after pds and they invited you but you said you really felt you should talk it over with your wife before telling them you could go, but you would load some stuff up for them because your just that kind of guy......

Third mistake. "Focusing on TV"??????? I just don't know what to say about that.

OK now for "the look". Give it some time to rest and in a couple of weeks take her out or buy her something little and surprise her with it. Tell her that what you did, (not discussing everything with her) bothers you and you will really try hard to be a better husband.

In a couple weeks after that she will forget and everything will be OK.

Trust me. Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had (note: had) a wife who started an argument every time I wanted to go hunting. Also, she complained about my spending when she spent more than I ever did. I'm now single and she's remarried. The guy she married wants to keep her on a short leash and not go anywhere. He spends more on golf and wants to know where every penny she spends goes! She and I talk every so often and she complains. I just say, "remember when?"
Life is sweet! What goes around comes around.
jumping

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
For the first time ever I have snuck a new rifle into the house. I'm actually shoulder checking as I write this. Wink

It is a new 26" barreled Rem 700 short action Police model in 223 which I just had to have to go gopher shooting with this summer. thumb

I am broke right now because I have just taken all the money that I had to pay off our mortgage and then had to buy new carpets for the house so I had to use a credit card that she doesn't know that I have to buy the rifle. CRYBABY

I bought it for about $300.00 off retail price so had to jump on it before someone else bought it.

I have many rifles but most of them are stainless steel with light green painted synthetic stocks so this black rifle kind of sticks out if she were to look into the safe. Frowner

I'm coming into a little extra money in the next couple of weeks so will then pay off the rifle and then tell her that I bought it...... Cool

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZwriter is simply the best...

She has gone hunting with me in Scotland and New Zealand, and met me once in Tanz after a hunt and we climbed Kilimanjaro together.

She could care less about how many guns I have or how much I spend on hunting. Last year I when I was thinking of booking a lion safari (not cheap) I told her I really wanted to go lion hunting.

"Well go" she said.

"Well, it is a lot of money- 40 grand. What if I don't get one?"

She said, and I bullshit you not, "Then you just book another trip and go again next year."

She has been totally supportive of everything I do. She is the best.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
And here I thought I had it rough!

My wife told me yesterday on the way to church that I had better get a least three deer this year, because the freezer will run empty before hunting season.

I just said "Yes maam"!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It sounds like somebody is pussy-whipped! boohoo

Why do you have to justify your love of shooting and hunting? Or owning more than one gun or a dozen? Or preparing for an upcoming hunt?

Does your wife check with you before she goes to department store? Does she check with you before she buys ANOTHER pair of shoes or belt or handbag?

Does she ask you before she goes off to visit her mother (or, God forbid, invites her to come visit you! Eeker)

And what is with 'the look'? mona Next time she gives you 'the look', ask her why she feels she gets final say over what you say or do.

It sounds like you guys have given up your right to act without permission; good luck getting it back! Roll Eyes

George Big Grin

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The side of the fence I am sitting on I hear "Isn't it about time for a new gun?" or even better "I've been looking at this Pistol" from my wife ever so often. She claims to have married the last of the "Alpha Males"

Course the pistols may be to use on me in my sleep.... sofa

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had one more week of vacation than my wife one year. I told her I was going prairie dog hunting in Montana that week. No problem at that point. A few weeks later she said that she wasn't going to use a week of her vacation to visit her mother. I thought this was hint one. She later asked where in Montana I was going. Hint Two. She later asked if I was going to camp or stay in a motel. Hint Three. Then she asked if there was anything to do near the motel. Hint Four. Then one day I told her that the motel was out in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing to do but watch the clouds go by or hunt prairie dogs. I clearly told her that all that I was going to do was hunt prairie dogs, and that for a non-hunter is was extremely boring. She said it would give her time to read a bunch of books. Hint Five. I told her there were no bathrooms or other facilities on the prairie and that it was unacceptable to "drop me off while she went to town". She said that would be no problem. Hint Six. I then made the fatal mistake, I asked if she wanted to come along. So in May we headed to Montana. No problem on the trip, no problem with the primitive motel. No problem during the first day of hunting. On the second day after four hours of prairie dog shooting, I walk back to the truck. She says "Are you done yet? I'm bored and want to go do something. Let's go to town and shop." I said very firmly that I had told her what the conditons would be and that the ONLY thing I intended to do was shoot prairie dogs. She gave me the look and said "But this is my vacation too". Something snapped inside me. I got into the truck, drove back to the motel. Got out, gathered our things from the room, paid the motel bill, got back into the truck without saying a word or even glancing her way. I then drove non stop, except for gas and bathroom stops, all the way home. I pulled into the driveway at home, she got out, I told her I was going to work and left her standing on the drive. The next day she said "We could have stayed and you could have hunted! I said NOTHING.

Since then when I am going hunting, to a gun show, to the range, head to the shop to reload, or bring home a new
rifle, she may start to say something but quickly shuts up. She now understands where not to tread.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the financial support I provide the household and the fact that I pay all the bills. Its pretty unlikely I will ask for permission to buy jackshit. If I want it.......I can afford it........I buy it. If at some point someone in the household determines they don't like that arrangement.....they need to make other arrangements.

I tried taking a nonshooter once........they damn near had to ride a bus home.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since then when I am going hunting, to a gun show, to the range, head to the shop to reload, or bring home a new
rifle, she may start to say something but quickly shuts up. She now understands where not to tread.

If I tried that my wife would shoot me with my AR. Of course, she was hinting that she wanted to go with me this year, utill I told her it would be 5 guys sitting on the Nebraska praire blasting blood thristy varmints all day long. And if she complained, we would not stop for her.

Luckly, my wife is smarter than most and didn't press the issue.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first and last time my wife ever pulled the trigger of a rifle, it was a 17 Rem, and the prairie dog died. That was 1984.

I told her yesterday that I plan on stopping my pattern of buying of a gun a month and hunting once a year, and that I plan to start buying a gun once a year and going hunting once a month. She seemed supportive, but I don't think she believes I can quit buying guns.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I really don't trust them at all. I have had almost entirely Eastern European and Italian girlfriends for the last few years.

None of them was all that interested in Hunting, as long as I was really hunting and not at the bar it was ok.

When I was married "to that red bitch", it was different. She was a control freak and complained about every cent I spent.

Unless you are lucky enough to convert some girl into a hunter or marry a lady hunter you will always have issues. Even if you do you may have personality conflicts with this lady hunter, that have nothing to do with hunting.

Do what your going to do and buy what your going to buy. Explain to them that you will take care of their Armani, Gucci, whatever needs, and take them to Paris or New York or East Orange, NJ.

Sneaking doesn't work, and isn't worth it. Lying isn't worth it, be honest with them if they don't like it there is tons of ass out there jus ripe for the plucking.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Well it is now April 27th, 11 days after I posted that I had bought a new rifle and hadn't told my wife.

Well 2 nights ago I told her that I purchased it and it was being shipped. The next morning she was totally upset that I had spent another $700.00 on a rifle.

Had to tell her off that I was the one that brings in the majority of the money in our relationship and to back off and if I decide to buy a rifle now and then to deal with it.

Tonight I told her that the rifle had arrived and I had to take a scope off of another one of my rifles in order to use it right away.

She told me when I showed the rifle to her that I had better go out and buy the scope that I need.

Go figure?????

I'll never understand women.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Moki,

I would quickly check your credit card statement of check book to see what she just bought.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky that way she doesn't use her credit card because she hates debt.

It's her birthday in 2 weeks and I'm wonder what I'm going to have to buy for her to make her happy........ Frowner

I bought the Bushnell 4200 6-24x scope today. thumb

I wasn't going to give her a chance to change her mind.

I took a break from changing scopes around just now to check my emails.

I did spent the day pressure washing our house which made her very happy as well......

I also picked up my 1600 once fired 223 Rem, Remington manufactured non-crimped brass from the Brass Man today....

Excellent price and I didn't even have to pay duties on it when I got back to the Canadian border.

My wife is very happy and in the kitchen making dinner right now.

She even cut the grass after she got home from work......

All in all it has been a great day....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen, Life is good!!! After the initial discovery my wife has been very sporting about everything.

About two weeks ago I located a new Savage 12FV/accutrigger in a 204 ruger...The price was $345.00 tax included... Not owning any Savage firearms.... I was leary .. I did my research and $345.00 is a great price for this gun. I now have three 204's to take along on the p-dog safari and a new gun dealer...

I now have to decide on another scope...

I am thinking a weaver v-16 Fine Crosshair Reticle....

Anyone know of any bargains on scopes currently?

Cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys are lucky..

Seems like every woman I hook up with either hates guns, has no interest in them, or I gotta make and agreement that I cant set limits on how many dogs she has if she doesn't set limit on my guns.

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Q. Why is divorce so expensive?

A. Because it's worth it.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
It sounds like somebody is pussy-whipped!

Does she ask you before she goes off to visit her mother (or, God forbid, invites her to come visit you!

That cracked me up!
My mother in law is built like a hippo, snores like a chain saw, is anti gun, and wants the world's wealth divided equally.

I try to laugh it off.
When she hands out presents, I am always intrigued to see how bad mine will be, to communicate how much she despises me and W.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
Most women like to have their own time too. You and your wife need to develop a better dialogue. If she’s open to having both of you to be able to make plans for activities that don’t include both of you. If it turns into a peeing contest every time one of you has something they want to do. Well if that’s the case it’s time to cut your loses and move on.

bewildered

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
The safe thing is not a problem, I have a third she doesn't know about. I have a bad habit of keeping the boxes the weapons come in, though. She has noticed the pile getting bigger in the basement. I have to stick to buying used.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZWriter bought a grand piano on Friday (they ain't cheap, BTW). I smugly said, "That would have bought a nice hunt."

She said, "I was feeling sorta guilty about it and then remembered how much you spend on hunting."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are a hoot!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one with a wife who complains, sometimes, about a hunting trip. After raising two sons, getting them through college, and getting them out of the house, two years ago I finally got to plan a pheasant/prairie dog trip to South Dakota. Well, initially it was just pheasants, but the 'dogs were an after thought. Then, I decided I needed something to shoot them with besides a 22 Mag or a 25-06. So I found the 223 I wanted, found one at a gun show I liked and the price was right. Bought it, then called her and told her that I had a chance at a great deal on a new rifle. First thing out of her mouth was "how much?" I told her, then told her the list price which was considerably higher. She said it sounded like a good deal. And it was.

It was when I started adding the scope, bipods, rings and bases that she raised her eyebrows, but said nothing. She wasn't pleased that we were taking "separate vacations", her phrase, but said I deserved a bit of time off. Two days before I was to leave for SD, she tells me that she and a woman she works with were going to the Outer Banks to this woman's beach house for a week. I told her to have a great time!

I still have two new rifles she hasn't seen.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote