New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Coyote Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you can't tell from my other posts I have the coyote bug bad and college kills my chances to hunt so I thought I would revive the old favorite rifle debate. So what is the favorite rifle you own and what is the rifle you wish you had for coyote hunting.

Mine hands down is my HK 630. Light and well ballanced, more accurate than most bolt guns, semi-auto so I can focus on shooting and not working the bolt. Only downsides are that they are espensive and saving the brass to reload is not an option.

If I did not save pelts I would like to have a HK 770, same rifle but in .308 for extra knock down power and extended range.

My father really likes his mini 14, but from what I read finding one that shoots as good as his is about like winning the lottery. His is a early model (Pre-ranch) that he had a gunsmith put a scope mount. Accurate enough for coyotes out to 250 yards or so, but if you ask him he will say he wishes he had an hk.

So whats your favorite rifle?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my 20 yr old Savage 110CL (Lefthand) in a MPI fiberglass stock and Harris bipod with a V-16 Weaver scope. Loaded with the 58 grn Hornady Vmax @ 3800 fps it smokes Yotes out to 300 yards.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of semi custom .17 Remingtons, that are my primary predator shooters. One's on a Sako action the other on a Rem. 700. I shoot 28gr. Calhoon Dbl. HP's out of both, easy on the pelts.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was back home and could hunt them it was a Marlin Levermatic in 256 winchester

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Mine is my .240 weatherby 300 to 400 yard ZAPPER. I never got one at 400 but my buddie did with my gun.
Doesen't do pelts much good

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M Jager,

Right now my favorite coyote rifle is my Knight Disc 50 cal muzzle loader. Probably cause it's the only gun I have been able to shoot a coyote with. When I go out calling yotes with my 243 I never see any, but put me in a deer stand with a bow, shotgun, or muzzle loader and their everywhere!!!
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever I'm carrying at the time! Actually my little 6mm Remington, Model 700 is my favorite. This nice doggie fell prey to the 7mm mag though. His tough luck that day... Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever is sighted in. And handy.

Sentimental favorite is an old Model 700 Varmint Special in 25-06. It was my only centerfire for several years and took a load of dogs. Its throat is going and doesn't get used much but it ain't for sale.

If I am serious about going calling, I take a 700 Classic in 220 Swift.

Lately I've been using a Model 70 in 340 Weatherby. Great cure for mange in coyotes!

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For day hunting my favorite is a Rem 700 VS in 22-250 with a Zeiss Diavari Z 2.5-10x48

For night calling (mostly Bobcats) I use a Rem 700 PSS LTR in .223 with a Leupold 3.5-10x50.

Both are half inch 5 shot guns at 100 yards

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My main calling rifle is my Ruger No.1 in .22 Hornet. Deadly on coyotes out to 175 or so yards. Plenty good enough for called in coyotes. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a toss up... Guess it depends on how far out the little $astard is... Any thing less than 200yrds I prefer my 223... I like my 25/06 between point blank to 25yrds (really like to make a mess of them) or beyond 200 yrds. But if I am taking pelts it would be my 223.... If I had my choice it would be a 6x47... Seen them down lots of dogs.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I really like my Rem 700 VS in 22-250 AI but I would have to say my favorite is my new Cooper Montana Varminter in Tactical Twenty. Sweet gun with sweet wood. Now I just want a synthetic stock to drag it through the brush with.

H380

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rug!

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifles in my gun closet that get the nod for varmints at any distance. Custom built 243 with 26" Hart SS premium heavy barrel, custom built 220 Swift 26" Lilja SS premium heavy barrel, factory Savage 12FV 22-250 26" heavy barrel.
Bullet selection for the 22 caliber rifles is the Sierra 60 grain HP and 65 grain SP. The 243 produces lighting like strikes on varmints with the Sierra 60 grain HP.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote