Find
Notify
Tools

.30 cal varmit bullet??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I just bought a k31 that shoots a .30 cal bullet. I want to use it to keep under the seat of my truck to dispatch the occasional something and as a back up coyote gun. I want a bullet if possible to not totally blow up an animal such as a coyote. I was thinking about the new accubond or the interbond having the advantages of a partition type bullet with a poly tip so there would be some bullet expansion but not explosion like some types of bullets, how do you think this would perform. Also what is the effect of shooting a coyote with a FMJ bullet does it expand enough to take a dog down??

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recieved some JRP custom 55 grain bullets for my .308. I hope to shoot them on paper tuesday.He has an add in the varmint hunter magazine.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the only problem with such a light bullet is you loose so much ballistic coef. with the bore being that big and the bullet that small it gets to the point you are shooting pill like bullets this is why small bores have more advantage in shooting lighter bullets

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 130 gr Speer HP is very efficient varmint bullet in 30 cal , not amazing but good bc , very accurate bullet and able to be drive fast in 7.5 SWISS even if 7.5 Swiss is lower in pressure than 308 WIN .

Lapua make light bulet too but cost is veri hight on US market

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havn't seen the JRP bullets, but I don't believe that they just make it shorter to decrease weight. I thought they were still a good usable length that maintains their ballistic coefficient. Maybe Mr308win can chime in and give us the scoop on these. Thanks.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to measure them. they look the same length of 168smk.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's the 125gr Speer TNT

Posts: 28 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
I've had excellent results with Sierra 125gr. Pro-Hunters. Using a spotter to get on target I've made consecutive hits on a basketball sized rock at just under 600yds. I use them for varmints and cheap practice.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I just bought a k31 that shoots a .30 cal bullet. I want to use it to keep under the seat of my truck to dispatch the occasional something and as a back up coyote gun.

I would not leave out the Sierra 110 gr. HP. While it does have a low BC, it tends to shoot very accurately. For an under-the-seat type of application I would expect that it would meet your requirements. The jacket on this bullet is thicker than that of a .224 class varmint bullet. I've shot CA ground squirrels using this bullet in a .30-06 and the hole made was pretty cookie cutter like. It did not seem to expand that much at all. Ditto on p-dogs in Colorado. A coyote is tougher than a sand rat though and I've never shot a coyote with this bullet. I did shoot a coyote with a 7 mag w/ a 120 gr. bullet right above the sternum at about 50 yards. The bullet did not exit.

Good luck.
re5513