Find
Notify
Tools

Define your varmint rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My main varmint rifle that I have had for years started it's life as a 243 but I rechambered it. The action is a made in Germany Voerre long action and it is now a 6mm-284 that pushes my 90gr loads @ 3500fps. This has been my main coyote gun for years now.

My new aquisition is a Rem 700P 223 with a incredibly long Bushnell Elite 6-24X A/O mil-dot scope. My favorite load is a 60gr Sierra HP Varminter with 23.5grs H322, Rem 7 1/2 primer, Rem brass @ 3010fps average.

100 yard groups give me clover leaf groupings every time and 2 1/2" to 3" @ 300 yards on a breezy day.

The good part of this load is that the main reticle is sighted in for dead on @ 100 yards, the first mil-dot down is 200 yards and the second dot down is perfectly dead on @ 300 yards.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a dual purpose deer/varminter. Varmint late afternoon then head to the woods later on.

Sako AII action in original factory wood 'classic' stock, .243 winchester min SAAMI chambered 26" 9 twist chrome moly cut rifle (Border) barrel (original profile) Swaro 6x42, old style warne mounts - all gloss blued.

Weight is 8.75lbs great for hunting, with bipos just under 10 which is excellent forvarminting. Shoots Federal factory 85gr BTHP (the sierra) at 3,300fps which kills deer and varmints wonderfully well.

posted Hide Post
It will be a Marlin 25MN 22mag, at night, and as soon as I sell or trade my 1911, it will be a Ruger, hopefully a VT, for daytime chucks and yotes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
45 otto,

I need to know at what distances you will shoot what varmints and what rifles you have now. Also need to know how important the report is in settled areas and don't forget richocets.

When I got my second varmint rifle it had to be a heavier weight 243 and while that was a very good choice I never used it as much as the lighter rifles. The hunting here in New England really required more carrying of the rifle and not shooting from just one spot. I still have to have a heavy barreled rifle however.

Today I would avoid the very heavy barrels for the reasons above and go with a sporter weight barrel 26" long. I feel that the 6mm bore is really outstanding for varmints as I use reduced loads for low report with 55 gr bullets and shoot heavier bullets for longer ranges. I still favor the 1-10" twist as I am not a long range shooter of game and like to get closer so as not to miss.

Don't know what a #38 action is?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote