Find
Notify
Tools

Define your varmint rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
What is your definition of a varmint rifle, If you were going to build one?

My next project is going to be a varmint rifle. I have a very nice low serial number type 38 action that needs to be resurected. I'm leaning to a 6mm rem with a 24" bull barell.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
What is your definition of a varmint rifle, If you were going to build one?

My next project is going to be a varmint rifle. I have a very nice low serial number type 38 action that needs to be resurected. I'm leaning to a 6mm rem with a 24" bull barell.

That's tough, it's kind of like asking "What's your definition of a beautiful woman?"

My varmint guns vary from a 17 HMR bolt gun, to a 10/22 bull barrel, factory stock sporter 243, a 22.250 with a sporter barrel, fiberglass stock and 12 oz. match trigger, a custom built bull barrel AR-15 in 223, a blueprinted MRC short action with a match barrel, custom chamber and laminate stock in 6.5x284.

If you can define that list into one category, that's what my definition is.

lol

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I'm with Frank.

I have a 6mm Rem with a 26" varminter profile (#7) barrel. Heavy, but it shoots very well.
Much more dramatic on hits than a 22-250.

Get a 1-10 twist barrel. You can shoot any 6mm bullet from 55 to 107g with no problems.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like Fjold said, kinda depends. If I hunt fields I can access with my truck on tractor paths, shoot off the roof listening to a ballgame, I don't mind the weight of a heavy 24-26 barreled rifle. Usually in 22-250.

If I have to walk around 3 or 4 hay and bean fields it's a sporter in 17 Rem. 223, 204.

It's kind of crowded where I'm at so I don't go much bigger than 22CFon Chuck's, unless I get further south, then 243,308.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I definitely give the big thumbs up for a 6mm Rem also.... especially on long action... on a short action, it is the same as a 243.. on a long action, it will run with a 240 Weatherby any day handloaded....

cheers, you silly savages you....
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I definitely give the big thumbs up for a 6mm Rem also.... especially on long action... on a short action, it is the same as a 243.. on a long action, it will run with a 240 Weatherby any day handloaded....
seafire cheers

This is very important. Thanks Seafire for reminding me.

With a long action the heavier (longer) bullets don't intrude into the powder space (providing the throat is long enough) and you can really load them up.

Have fun and enjoy your new 6mm...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second Varmint rifle I had was a 6MM Remington custom with a Douglas number 6 contour barrel 26"'s. For years I never really used it much it's a little on the heavy side. Then I started going to Montana for Prairie Dogs, is it ever the ticket in the wind. Had just mounted a Nigthforce 8 X 32 on it the first year we went back to Jordan. When we got to the field the first morning it was pretty calm we were just shooting .223’s the wind came up a little and we went to the 22-250's and .220 Swifts. The wind came up a lot I went to the 6MM I was very pleased with the results the Prairie Dogs weren’t. Does it ever pop those little puppies and give them some serious air time.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 favorites right now. 17 Mach IV on a CZ rebarreled with a Shilen 10 twist. Other one is a 223 AI on a complete work over XP action turned rifle with a Hart 14 twist barrel. Both are for prairie dogs.

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not possible to define just one 'ideal varmint' rifle. I have six and all work quite well for their intended purpose but none are identical. Walkin around jump shooting coyotes/jackrabbits requires a different rifle than bench shooting prairie dogs from one spot for an afternoon.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint rifle... a rifle used to dispatch varmints.

Attributes 1. brutally accurate,
2. easy to load
3. chambered in a caliber sufficent to
easily end the life of said varmint.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
^^agreed^^

I also add I like a caliber that is easy to find brass and ammo for thats why i went 223. just my preference though.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whatever rifle I happen to be able to get my hands on when there's a varmint in the vicinity Big Grin Usually the 788 in .223. The only time I ever have trouble with not being able to get ammo is if my press breaks and it's never let me down yet.

Keep your powder dry and when you go afield take the kids, and please.......wear your seatbelts.

Posts: 18 | Location: 409 County Road 20, Craig Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
.223 Remington in M70 lightweight, laminated stock(cheap ammo), 6mm Rem Rem 700 BDL(my "pretty" gun), and M70 Super Shadow in .223 WSSM (FAST!!!!)
But if building one, I would probably start with a Savage long action, barrel it in 6mm AI with a Boyd's laminated stock

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire--

I have been reading and listening to your posts about a 6mm on a long action. Finally got my project rifle-a Savage 110 in .30-06. Now for the barrel, trigger, and stock.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
dustoffer-
Keep us posted on your build! Sounds like you are building the same (or nearly the same) gun as I would like to build. (I would have to start handloading to go AI)

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, mine is on a Rem A3-'03. You will not be disappointed with a 6mm Rem.
I wouldn't go AI unless the regular 6mm doesn't do it for you, which I would find hard to believe!

Good luck, and good shooting. thumb

One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
My ideal Varmint rifle whould be my .22250 Tikka with a Mc millan stock on it, and when the barrel is out fit a Douglas ever so slightly heavier. But strugle to aford the diesel to hunt let alone a mcmillan stock.

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to the range with a .223, I like to be the only guy that gets 1" groups with my .223.

But at a local range there is a guy with a 6mm Rem bull barrel getting .25" groups and bragging about all the coyotes he has been gettingFrowner

That doesn't mean I am going to give up on the .223.
I still think the .223 is the all around varmint gun.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6mm Rem is going to be used primarily for feral hogs, and any coyote that happens to show its hide in the open, plus any rattlesnake that tries to crawl across the senderos. I'm gonna put a heavy sporter (.7" dia at 25" length) on it but haven't decided on the stock yet. It is between a Boyd's laminated and a synthetic of one sort or another.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
If you are going to build a varmint rifle you should probably use one of the specialized varmint cal's. A 17 Remington would be a nice choice, but the 17 machIV would also work good for you. One of the 19 Cal rifles could also be fun. My 17 Remington is great, and if you are going to build a rifle just for varmints it is fun to have one disigned for exactly what you will use it for, most every thing else is really a duel use rifle, so it is not the best for any one purpose. Larry

Posts: 5 | Location: WA | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm on a long action ......if you could only have one Varminter(GOD forbid from my point of view!!) would probably be more than sufficient!! HOWEVER!! When I think of "varmints" I think of prairie dogs to deer!! I love the 17HMR for the little stuff and "fun" aspect.....never chasing brass, low recoil, DEADLY on game in its class and distance...did I mention ACCURATE!!!??? The .204 Ruger is a varminter's dream machine!! FAST(faster than the 17 REM) Bucks the wind(equal to the 22-250 and Swift with 55 grainers out to 500 yards) FLAT (same as above) NO RECOIL.....watch the hits!!! Spot for yourself!! The .224 little guys....221 Fireball, 222REM, 222REM MAG.....all have GREAT ACCURRACY capability!! The .224 BIG GUYS....225WIN, 22-250, SWIFT, 224Weatherby can create great havoc on a varmints carcass!!! Even add some acrobatics to the show!!
Step up to the 6mm class and then the bullet selection and long range capabilities really start showing up!! And the 6mm REM probably is the best of the class for versatility!! The short fat 6's(BR and PPC) are super little offerings!! Their accuracy is know to all!! (BR shooting contests ought to be relabled 6PPC contests!!!) But the long action coupled with the 6x57 case offers LONG RANGE capabilities when using the 87 grain VMAXS, 105AMAXS, 107 MK, along with the added velocity that the short fats can't match!! A 10 twist in your 6mm barrel ought to anything you want it to do!! GHD PS: If I could only have one rifle(GOD FORBID!!!) it would be a 25-06 of some sort!!! The 75 grainers, 85,87 grainers can be somewhat explosive on vermin and the 100,115,117,120's will handle about anything you want to take on!!! My "Biggest" varminter is a 300SAUM Sendero!!! With 110VMAXS or 125TNT's it's a laugh generator!! With 165,168's, 180MK, 200MK it's a "reach out and touch" something varminter!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, a 204 is OK, it is really a necked up 17 Remington, I made some 17 rem brass by just running the 204 brass through my 17 die. Does get a little thicker neck however. Don't know how fast a 204 is, my 17 Rem makes 4,250 with 22.5 gr Genco lead tips and 23.5gr of AA 2520 and a 24 inch Green Mountian barrel, it does shoot fairly flat, and is like shooting a laser, just pull the trigger and watch a little hole appear in something. Nothin quite like it. Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
trotterlg, Your 17 Remington sound like a fine piece of machinery for the varmint fields!! And they are!! But the 204 can do a bit better for the speed deal! I've got SAFE loading data for 32 and 33 grain VMAXs up to 4441fps!! You wanta send some really getting on with it????? I've got data up to 4565 but brass life sucks!!! Accuracy was still in the .6-.7 range and the bullets made the trip!!! Those loads were developed in a 26" barrel. Now with the 20" barrel Model 7 in .204, 4033fps was the MOST ACCURATE load and the load with the highest velocity with the 32 grain Hornadys! 28.3 grains of Accurate 2230!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you really need the speed, I can make the 15 gr Bergers hit 4,700 fps, but I really don't know what you do with them in the real world. Larry

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have an old school M77 Ruger that I am going to rebarrel and put in a McMillan Sako 75 Varminter stock.

My plan is 6mm Ack Improved and a #7 Lilja 27 inches long. Going to set it up to shoot the 55 grain Noslers BT.

If I can find a Canjar single set trigger is the only thing stopping me.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trotterlg:
Well, a 204 is OK, it is really a necked up 17 Remington...
Larry

Actually it is a necked DOWN 222 Rem Mag.

The 204 Ruger has more case capacity than your 17 Rem, which IS a necked down 223 Rem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:

The 204 Ruger has more case capacity than your 17 Rem, which IS a necked down 223 Rem.

The 17 Rem case is rather unique, about 0.040" longer than a 223 case. Similar capacity, but not a "necked down 223 Rem".

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
The .17 is a necked down .223. The shoulder is also set back to lengthen the neck.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Groundhog in regards to the 25-06. I have an old heavy barreled Model 700 Rem "Varmint Special" with a 3 to 9 Weaver scope that still does the trick with 90 grain Sierra boattail hollow points and 4350 powder.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a rube, but if I had my druthers, I would hunt groundhogs with a small (60mm) mortar. I think it would be sporting past 500 metres with the correct munitions and a lot of fun. A 243 loaded with 60 grain sierra hollow points will take care of most of those critters out to 300 metres, even with a hangover.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I find it very easy to define a varmint rifle. Its whatever I grab out of the back of the truck when a coyote
crosses the road.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:

The 17 Rem case is rather unique, about 0.040" longer than a 223 case. Similar capacity, but not a "necked down 223 Rem".
Yes, you are correct in that the 17 Rem case OAL is .039†longer than a .223 (in the same way as a .270 is longer than a 30-’06), however the shoulder is pushed back .080â€, which would give the nod in case capacity to the .223, which has less than the .204 Ruger.

Case capacity would be in order, less to more:
17 Rem, .223, .204 Ruger.

The 17 Rem is a necked down .223 with the shoulder pushed back .080†and a .050†longer neck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Going to the range with a .223, I like to be the only guy that gets 1" groups with my .223.

But at a local range there is a guy with a 6mm Rem bull barrel getting .25" groups and bragging about all the coyotes he has been gettingFrowner

That doesn't mean I am going to give up on the .223.
I still think the .223 is the all around varmint gun.

It is nice to have an accurate rifle but the coyotes wouldn't know the difference between 1 and 1/4 MOA.

My Tikka Varmint can shoot as accurate as 1/4 MOA but the rifle weighting over 9 lbs is heavy to carry for hunting accounding to my standard. So far I have only taken it out for ground hogs. For coyotes, I actually prefer my .243 that shoots 1 MOA and it weights 7.5 lbs. Big Grin

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my definition:

Rem700 stainless short action, trued, with oversized bolt knob mod ... PacNor stainless super-match bbl, remington varmint contour, 3 lands/grooves, 24" long, 1:9" twist, recessed target crown ... McMillan heavy/sniper filled A5 stock ... Harris 9-13" swivel model bipod ... TPS -20-MOA picatinny base and TPS TSR rings ... Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with turrets and side focus ... factory remington trigger tuned to 1.5# ... Williams 1-piece BDL style floor plate ... a single-shot follower insert ... and an Eagle Industries stock pack that isn't pictured here ...

The target is from a "normal" day, shot at 300 yards from the above rifle, using my handloads ... Black Hills brass, WSR primers, 27.5g H335, and some Nosler 40g boattails ... Not sure where that upper right flyer came from ... but I'll take sub-MOA all day with those light little bullets at that range ... Truth is, when I shot this target, that was the first time I'd taken ANY rifle out to that distance, and was vastly unfamiliar with what it takes to shoot at extended ranges ... for whatever that's worth ...

beer

- WGM -

Posts: 102 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
id say a 7mm rem with a 120 gr vmax...lol talk about varmints getting air time...holy moley...

Posts: 10 | Location: waconia, MN | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Callin yotes it's my 219 Zipper Marlin or 223 Kimber (Oregon) 84.
Walking Varmits get the nod to a 218 Bee Win 43, the Kimber 223 or a .17 Rem 700
Shooting off a bench, truck or some such goes to a .223 700 Varmiter, 22-250 M77 or Ruger #1 Swift.
Those are what I grab most often for that particular situation.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, I have a few "varmint" rifles but one that really "feels" like mine is the one I put together literally out of parts from one end of the country to the other....I started with a bare short 700 receiver that a friend gave me...it came with a long action bolt sans handle...and a messed up bolt nose and no extractor....so what to do....I cut the bolt off at the rear and remilled the cocking cam, fluted it and installed a Sako extractor and had the local 'smith install a Dakota handle from Brownell's and reblue everything. Found a firing pin assembly with the J-lock for cheap, found a non J-lock bolt plug and swapped it in....so far so good...then I found a Timney trigger on the 'net....then a stainless 40X 223 barrel that I proceeded to rethread, and chamber to 22-250 and cut at 24"....then I found a nearly new VS (HS Precision) stock on the 'net,...and a set of BDL bottom metal and mag box....mounted up an Elite 4200 6-24X, another 'net acquisition, and called it good....it shoots very very well...and it's all mine..a 'net buddy once referred to it as "The Frankenrifle" ...and the name stuck... Big Grin

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the most "franken" part of your rifle was/is the extensive bolt work to get the action right ... I would have probably taken the easy route and just found a bolt that was "proper" and have the headspace set when the new tube was screwed on the action ...

However, I am a fan of the "franken" rifle ... I'd gather that some of the best rifles out there are the ones that were pieced together ... it kinda forces you (or the smith) to check every part of the rifle as it's put together to be sure it's just right ...

- WGM -

Posts: 102 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiler predaotor action and oversize lug
20 moa bases
ACIS chassis sytem
Pac- Nor 3 groove or Broughton 5C

Leupold Mk4 LR variable or my personal choice a M1 MK4 10X mildot

all in 6 BR norma or 6.5BRx55 to reach even longer.

later
P

Posts: 66 | Location: Melbourne, Vic Australia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im thinking about putting togheter my first varmint rifle in a year or two.. no need for it now. A 30-06 and 110 grain V-max does everything now..

But, A 223 AI, in a Sako 75 action, mcmillan sako varmint stock. 9.5 pounds, shooting 75 grain A-max should do varmints in at over 600 yards.

My second would probably be a walking varminter in 17 Mach IV..in a Sako 75 action, as light as possible, shooting 25 v-max at 4000fps. Should take care of anything inside 300 yards.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote