THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Bullet selection for Hides... HELP

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bullet selection for Hides... HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted
Sierra BK are awsome! Never a pss thru with my .223 and accurate, cheap.

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Interesting question given your handle-Richocet. They are illegal to use on game here in Texas.

HUH? I just looked and can find no restriction on using FMJ ammo on game in Texas.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
"Sierra BK are awsome! Never a pss thru with my .223 and accurate, cheap."

Are you just talking about the 40 grainers, Hunting1? Or have you had good luck with the heavier weights, in the 223, as well?

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

HUH? I just looked and can find no restriction on using FMJ ammo on game in Texas.

It was a serious question. I know some have used FMJs on furbearers. I've seen mentions of them here and there. Seems like I recall someone on here sometime back addressing the same question and stating that they made too big an exit wound to suit him. I am curious whether they'd be suitable for chucks. It does seem that a 55 gr. FMJ at .22-250 velocity ought to be deadlier than a .22 Magnum or such, and heck, I know lots of people that shoot groundhogs with .22 LRs. If you recall the "Who Eats Chucks?" thread I started a few months ago, I'm not necessarily interested in blowing them to bits.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with them, Rico...
I still want Bob to explain why he thinks FMJ ammo is illegal to use on game in Texas.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a fellow over at www.coyotegods.com that can give some info on FMJ's and some of there nasty habits in regard to pelts. Their worst offense is tumbling which will sure 'nuff screw up some hide. And as I recall, some Vietnamese. Anyway, go ask Shaun, I think he can link some photos if you're interested.

Wonder why nobody's talking about the 40 gr. BT's or VMAX's? Or even the 35 gr VMAX. They aren't best for long range but come undone pretty quick in close.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the tumbling .223 FMJs do a lot of damage when they turn sideways about 3" in and break at the cannelure, the base fragments scattering every which way, then the nose piece travels on backwards like a wadcutter with deep penetration. That effect in gelatin at least reminds me of what a Nosler Partition Bullet does. I've recently seen a photo of an M193 bullet fired through an orange. The bullet was just exiting the orange in the high-speed photo and was yawing 80� from the direction of travel. If it'll tip broadside in passing through an orange, seems like it'd do it in a chuck-size critter.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Big-Ed,

I stand corrected. They are not illegal here. I double checked and called TPWD. I still would not even consider using them on predators. That is a personal choice. They are in fact illegal to use on game in many states. I just screwed the pooch on Texas......sorry 'bout that!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
No problem. This is a Global board and I find myself reading things like Todd's wolf and thinking "That's Illegal!" then realizing he is in a different country.

Honestly, I thought I had overlooked something in the regs about FMJ ammo and wanted to be sure I didn't do something VERY EXPENSIVE....

posted Hide Post
Bearcat,

Here's a link below that you might find interesting on bullet selection for quick kills on yotes and saving their pelts. It's an excellent website!

http://www.coyotecanada.ca/

XMan

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the site, very interesting

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ad good luck with a Hornady 55gr SP out of my 340 Savage going about 2950 FPS. Also I spoke to a pro who shot 1200 coyotes with his Sako 223 lightweight and he uses Speer 52gr HP bullets. Not the match bullet. A 222 or a 223 is all I ever needed. I shot on with a 110gr VMax in a 270 and it blew the dog in half it was a waste. I got a side shot on a Bobcat at 35 Yards earleir this year and there was Minimal pelt damage and the cat went 15 yards after being hit.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope it goes in the right place. While on the topic of bullet selection for a .22-250, what would be the correct bullet weight (range) for a 1:14 twist rate? Are there other popular rates? I am pretty new to this shooting thing but I think I understand why twist rates are important, just not specifics.

Posts: 4 | Location: Southwest VA USA | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey pythium,

First, welcome! The 1-14 twist barrels in 22-250 will easily stabilize bullets up to and including 55gs. Some will even shoot the 60gr. bullets. Many factory barrels are 1-14, such as Remington. Savage uses a 1-12 twist which lets you use a heavier bullet.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700 VS's are 1-12 and mine will stabilize up to a 60g bullet

posted Hide Post
bearcat Sir:
My experience (if fur is to be saved) is to slow that bullet, almost any bullet down to arround 2500fps, use FMJ's and go shoot your fur. Oh a side note, pick your spot with the FMJ's.

remember, don't squat with yer spurs on.
Clarence

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be argumentative, but the Remington catalog lists all the 700 VS rifles chambered for the 22-250 as having a 1 in 14 inch twist. The .223 Remington caliber rifles do have a 1 in 12, but the 22-250's do not.

Having said that, I own two 700VS rifles chambered for 22-250 and they will shoot 60 grain bullets just fine. (Although I have always gotten the very best accuracy out of them with 50 grain bullets.)

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ALL:

Preditors are not game, therefore FMJ's are usable and I might add a requirement if one is to have anything left to skin, the very best combo for yoddle puppies is the 218/speer50gr fmj's @ about 2500fps FWIW.

Always remember, don't squat with yer spurs on.
Clarence

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite big game bullets is the Sierra 165g. HPBT out of my JC Higgins 30-06, very accurate and the tip doesn't get deformed if it happens to get abbused in your pack or something. Sierra makes a 55g. HPBT for the 22 cal and Sierra says that their HP's are "tougher" than regular soft-points. http://www.sierrabullets.com/xring/index.cfm?fuseaction=Vol7no4#tough

I have always had the best accuracy from Sierra's they are by far my favorite brand.

Now, with all that off my chest; here is my question: Has anyone used the 55g. HPBT on any critters? But if they are constructed more stoutly than soft-points I suppose an exit would be more likely, hmmmm. Have ya shot em? What do ya think?

Happy shooting,
Redrider.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Per the Texas Dept of Wildlife:

"There are no restrictions on bullets as long as the cartridge is a center-fire."

Doesn't matter if it is game or not.
Your State may be different, this is just for Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the 50 gr Hornady SX bullets on fur? I find that with woodchucks they often do not exit, but they kill with authority. Or how about the Speer TNTs? These can be loaded to 3600 in a 22-250 for explosive results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh I'm getting explosive results with the Honady V-maxes, no point in changing for that. They're not even getting in before they blow up. Exit wounds are not the problem, entrance wounds are. I shot a fox 4 days ago thay was running quartering away at about 80-90 yards with my 250 and 50g V-maxes, it hit him just behind the ribs heading up into the vitals and it was ugly!@!@!@! Opened him up like you would'nt belive. I'm hoping some other bullets will help with this. I also bought a 17 Rem for night calling, hoping its easy on hides, we'll see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...by explosive results I meant the bullet fragmenting and remaining inside the animal..

one of us
posted Hide Post
You both are absolutly right! I stand corrected, the VS Remington in 22-250 is 1-14 twist. No wonder mine likes 50g bullets so well!!!!

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Sierra #1365 55 gr. SPBT, or Sierra #1410 52 gr. HPBT

Give them a whirl......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob--does that bullet have a tight hp or a big open hp?

Thanks

PS--I just got some of the 65 Sierra BTSP to give a go.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

The 52 gr. has the tighter HP and the 55 gr. HP (#1390) has the larger HP...it is the GameKing.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
bearcat...I asked the same question at a store here in western Wash. The guys in there are a wealth of info. There answer was a 52gr A-max. Little tiny hole going in and...no exit. They shoot ok in a couple of my guns,but I have'nt tested them on coyotes yet.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of the A Max. I'll give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should'nt be so lazy and load some and try them for myself. I got a bunch of 55 v-max's,40 bt's 50 tnt's and 60 sierra hp's loaded up for various rifles. I am going after coyotes this week. The steelhead fishing has been good so thats what I've been doing. The rivers are out now. Guess a trout rod and a varmit rifle and a trip to eastern wash is on the menu for this week.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
14" twist is correct. I own one.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, According to the latest Remington Catalog,(page 32) the 22-250 has a 1 in 14' twist :

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
V-Max and Nosler BT's are great bullets but not if you want to save any pelts. If you hit behind the shoulder and the bulet stays in its no problem. But if you hit bone on the way in or get a pass throigh damage is usually masive. If you are reloading I would go with a heavier bullet and slow down the velocity. I went through this several years ago when I started saving pelts and shooting bobcats. I eventually went to a .17 rem and have no more problems. I just could not find a consistent .22 cal that worked for me. I acually had better luck with 70 grain hornady out of my 243 that with my 22-250 and 223.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Many factory barrels are 1-14, such as Remington.

gsh,

......I said it was 1-14 all along. What are you confused about? I have owned enough of them....

Bob