New
Find
Notify
Tools

win coyote
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone shooting the winchester coyote 223. i am looking at buying one and would like to know what you guys think of them.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I havent had the the pleasure of shooting the coyote, but have shot my bud's stealth and liked it very much. Depending on how much walking around you will be doing, I would opt for the stealth if you can find one. The barrel is larger in diameter and 2 inches longer. Either way you would be getting a nice rifle. Buying a rifle is a crap shoot, you may get a good one or not.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Take a real close look and the fit and finish. The ones I have seen are not first rate by any standard.

<MNTNMAN>
posted
When I was in the market for a 223, I found 8 different coyotes at different shops, and none of them were finished well at all. Im sure they would all shoot fine, but for the money I want a rifle that looks good too, atleast until it becomes a permanent part of the pickup.

posted Hide Post
Had Coyote in 22-250 least accurate I've owned tried a lot of factory loads and handloading never shot well tried to sell to guy at range but he was trying to sell his in 223.

Posts: 7 | Location: Tucson,AZ | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to a guy at the range the other day that had just picked one up "Used .223", he was telling me that when he went to take the action out of the stock to check things out, someone must have "Gorilla-torked" the action into place. He torked it back at the customary 65 inch-pounds, not 65 FOOT-pounds. Shoots MOA all day with factory ammo and sub-MOA with hand-loads.
And no it isn't one of those shiny-stocked and blued guns, it wasn't meant to be. At least from what I saw it definately isn't all show and no go.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a coyote in 243 wssm and it's junk.

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
freind of mine bought a 22-250 shot 3" at 80 yards w/ 3 people shooting it. Glass bedded crown job on barrel and new trigger and it shoots MOA. Crown on barrel was absolutly terrible had a major burr on it

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one in .22-250 but got tired of carrying it with the laminated stock and semi-varmint barrel. Found a M70 Classic FW in .22-250 and it is much nicer to carry. However, the Coyote shot under .75" consistently and under 3/8" occasionally after a bedding job and a trigger job. I have no doubts they are gonna shoot after some work, but why bother as a Savage shoots better out of the box, albeit a bit on the homely side.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grantl:
I have a coyote in 243 wssm and it's junk.

Not good to hear my friend has been wanting one since they came out. He couldnt get the 243WSSM so he bought a 300WSSM he loves it and has killed many deer with it. His 300WSSM loves Nosler Partitions and will shoot 5/8" & less 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

It seems to be a crap shoot if you are to get a shooter or a tomato stake with Winchester.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that has one in 223. I never thought much about it.I liked them until I shot his. I went with a savage 112 in 223 and I love it.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe mines a Coyote. Push feed, 223. Blued reciever,stainless Med. Hvy. barrel, dark laminate stock. Fit and finish were very good.

I only tried a few proven loads I had made up that shot very well in a 223 Ruger VT and a 223 FV-S Savage. new WW brass, BR4's, Benchmark, RL-10 with 40 gr. V Max and 40 gr. Blitzkings.

I was sadly disapointed with the results 1.5-2.00.@ 100yds. on a nice calm day. I may get it out this spring and try to work some different loads up.

The 2 loads listed above have both averaged under an 1" for 3 shots, more than a few 1/2".in 2 new 223 Stevens I picked up a couple weeks back. That was in 34 degrees and at least 20-25 mph. winds from 8:00 position, fingers very cold. Somehow I think the Stevens have more potential than the Winnie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyotecaller:
Anyone shooting the winchester coyote 223. i am looking at buying one and would like to know what you guys think of them.

I thought briefly about buying one. I have heard some real nightmare stories about them. On the other hand I've seen some folks that have had extermly good luck with them. That being said the one I knew that had trouble had one hell of a time getting any good customer support out of the dieing Winchester Company long before it was dead. But that may be one of the things that helped them to their grave.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote