Find
Notify
Tools

I'm A Scope Robbin Cheapo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone else do this?
Over the last several years I have become a "scope robber"!
I mean I am to "CHEAP" to buy enough scopes for all my Rifles!
Right now I am two (two) scopes behind in the "game", I play, with my Rifles and my scopes!
For instance just today I "robbed" the scope (a Leupold 8.5x25 variable) off of my Remington 700 Sendero (in 270 Winchester) and put it back on a Remington XR-100 (in 223 Remington)!
I use the Sendero every fall for Mule Deer, Antelope and long range Whitetail Hunting and then its back on the XR-100 for the "other 3 seasons of Varminting"!
I have the scope "robbing" about down to a science now, as I use my Brown & Sharpe dial calipers to take an exact measurement for where the scope came from and is going back to!
I even found the note with this measurement on it from about 5 months ago when I "robbed the scope" off the XR-100! SOMETIMES I loose my notes with these measurements on them - this necessitates an extra ten minutes of fiddling with the scope to get the proper scope placement for full sight picture at all powers!
And in full disclosure I am even CHEAPER than I have described SO FAR!
For example! I drove my newly "un-robbed" scope/Rifle combo the 17 miles to my friends private, out of the wind, range today.
Once there the air was dead calm!
I fired three shots to get the Rifle back to my exact chosen P.O.I. and then only fired one more shot to verify that the third shot was INDEED the new and correct P.O.I.!
It was, but the really "cheap" part was that I did not fire four shots (instead of just one shot!) into the last of the sighters!
I gotta get over this "cheapness"! I mean the last two shots I did fire were cutting each other, and, I was gonna clean the Rifle anyway!
It would have been an outstanding chance for me to shoot a great group with this Rifle - I was just, to "cheap"!
I mean how much can three more shots from a 223 cost me? 75 cents - at MOST!
I mean, here was my thought process while "debating" with myself whether or not to shoot 3 more shots: "dang these Berger 52's sure shoot well - but they ARE expensive" and, I thought some more, "man this Rifle really shoots - I better save this wonderful barrel" - etc etc etc!
I make MYSELF sick sometimes, I am so cheap!
Anyway I need two more scopes and I will (I SWEAR)! forever quit "robbin scopes" once I get caught up!
Its a hassle - but, I am cheap!
I will say this, for the last "many" years now the Leupold rings (and bases) have been coming with the wonderful "Torx" screws and they make changing scopes one heck of a lot easier than back when everyone only used slotted screws!
I did BUY a Leupold Torx driver!
I REALLY like the Torx system and its been so long since I "ruined" a ring screw that I have forgotten the last time this happened.
Way to go Leupold - you make my "robbin" much faster and less worrisome!
Along with the "atta-boy" to Leupold on the Torx System I have to laud them as well for their ("theirs" - I think its made in CHINA!) no spud optical bore sighting system!
I have had their new style bore sighter for more than a year now and SOME HOW this magnetic/optical device works and works well!
Leupold = enablers!
Anyone else out there "rob scopes" like I do?
Any suggestions for solving my "thriftiness" while you're at it?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheapo!!!!! Right now I am at the point that I have 6 "extra" scopes in the safe waiting for donor guns!!!! Big Grin
1- 8.5-25 premier reticle mil-dot
1-6.5-20 mil-dot
1-3X9 compact
1-Mk4 3.5-10 mil-dot
1-NIB U S Optic's ST 10 mil reticle
1-3X9 euro leupold

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
VG, Once again great (?) minds think alike. I have several Leupold 8.5 x 25 LRT's which serve me on many more rifles, also a MK4 - 16X which also does the reciever shuffle. I actually prefer to use the known scopes and trust their ability to adjust and zero through their constant usage. I would never have done this before I had the pleasure to Pdog. You can learn alot Pdoggin and shootin.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308Sako: Great minds - aahhhh yes!
I love my 3 Leupold 8.5x25's!
I think they are THE BEST scope I have ever used on centerfire Rifles for Colony Varmint and long range Coyote Hunting.
And I have used a lot of'em!
Good point on the "known scope" situation!
I have luckily only been "troubled" with flawed scopes (unable to exactly hold zero!) a few times in my shooting career!
Many years ago (40+ ?) I made a horrific mistake and sold one of the first Ruger #1-B Rifles made - it had serial number 1,300.
It had ravingly beautiful wood on it and I thought I noticed a tendency to be erratic and shift point of impact in the field! More range testing proved there was a problem. The #1 was brand new that year and I had as yet NOT fully fallen in love with them.
That beautiful Rifle was in 6mm Remington and I would give my eye teeth to get it back now.
Anyway I sold the Ruger #1 Rifle out from under the scope (Redfield 4x12 IIRC!) and sure enough it was not the Rifle at fault! The next Rifle I put that scope on had the same trouble - I replaced the scope and the "problem" went away!
Lesson learned.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
since you like to rob scopes and you like remington rifles, why not buy a warne tactical base and some warne QR rings, this way you just flip the levers and go site the scope in or better yet, write down the scope settings for each rifle so only one confirm shot is necessary, also you need to take a gun vise next time, fire a shot, then place the gun in a the gun vice carefully then move the cross hairs onto the bullet hole you just punched

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC: Thanks for the advice there my man!
Now tell me a little more - you replace the scope, go to the range, fire ONE shot and THEN put the Rifle in a vice type thing. Where do you point the crosshairs when you go to move the adjustments - I am guessing you vice the Rifle in on the original point of aim and then move the adjustments?
Thanks for the advice on the Warne Rings - never used them before. And with the "tactical base" I am assuming that I (or you!) won't need to slide the scope fore and aft (inside the rings) to get proper eye relief. Are there ENOUGH options for placement of the scope (rings) onto the tactical bases to compensate for taking the scope off of an XR-100 and placing it on a Model 700 etc and getting proper eye relief without loosening the rings?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
VG, as to weather or not you can switch the scope from different familys of remmys such as long or short action I don't know about that, but if the rifles are configed the same I would think you could just flip the levers and move to the other gun, here is a link to one

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=992681

I am having a custom remington built in 270 win, its going to have a 22" #5 kreiger barrel, unscoped the gun will weigh 8 1/8#'s to the best of my calculations I am thinking about getting one of those warne bases so I can use a varmint type scope with turrets for wacking coyotes at extreme ranges in the late fall and winter, and then swapping out that scope with a light weight 2x7 for big game hunting to compensate for my added barrel weight, both scopes would be sited in to that gun, however If i had another remington long action I don't see why I could not use another warne base and move one or both scope to the other rifle, without remounting the rings or makeing any other adjustments besides internal scope adjustments

I don't know what kind of rings you are using, I used to hate vertical split rings until I tried warne, with the warnes you just seperate the halves put them on the scope, tighten up the bottom screws until they just start to snug, next place a tooth pick in between the upper 2 halves, I point them over the adjustment turret, now I have the perfect snuggness for adjusting the scope front to back or side to side, no scratching of the scope tube!!! the tooth picks line up with the center of the adjustment cap, once its where I like it, yank the tooth picks and snug the 2 top screws in each ring. I have found the warne rings easier to deal with to get the scope setup, and IMO a vertical split setup looks much cleaner on a rifle

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy
I rob my scopes quite often!
I hate to, but then it does give me a chance to shoot a little more!

When I was stationed in Alaska, I had a friend who had a Pre-64 Winchester in 300 H&H!
Now this rifle had a scope on it that had no adjustments, but the base/mount was adjustable!
I believe the scope was a Redfield!
Looks like the same sort of mount that Cummins Cowboy is talking about, only older!
Looks like a good option!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
VG, once again I feel your pain re the Ruger #1... My #1 story has to do with serial #800, a .308Win... What could I have been thinking?????

Frowner

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308Sako: Ouch and double ouch!
If I am not mistaken the 308 Winchester was a somewhat rare caliber in the #1-B!
Oh well live and learn but that does not take the "pain" out of it every time I think about that nifty 6mm #1!
I am relying on a faulty memory but I think the 222 Remington was THE most rare Ruger #1-B?
I have a couple little #1-B's - one is the 22 Hornet and the other is a 218 Bee. Both are so-so shooters (the 218 Bee being the better of the two) but they both have excellent wood on them and they are just "cool" little Rifles. I have them "over-scoped" with Leupold 6x18 variables on both and I refer to them as "the twins".
I have always wanted a Ruger #1-B in 222 Remington but the prices they mandate these days precludes me from owning and for sure using one of them as a Hunting Rifle!
I am down to just 5 Ruger #1's in my varmint arsenal - maybe if I win the lotto I will order a nice original early Ruger #1 in 222 Remington caliber.
I have several friends who in the past have rebarreled Ruger #1's to 221 Remington Fireball. These Rifles are all more accurate than the "norm" for Ruger #1's!

Cummins Cowboy: Thanks for the tips and good luck on your project Rifle. The 270 Winchester with the bullets available today is an even more versatile cartridge than it used to be - and that is saying something!
Again bets of luck on your project Rifle.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, all you have to do is quit buying guns until you get caught up and maybe a little ahead scopewise. Nahhh, bad idea. jumping

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Taylor & Jimmy223: I, "honest to God" had never heard of a Rifleman "being ahead" in scopes! Until I saw Jimmy223's posting above. It flabbergasted me!
Good for Jimmy!
Having the scopes in stock so when he gets a new Rifle, then its next to immediately that he can get into action with it!
Now me I scrounge around to find "great deals" on Rifles and when I do its sometimes 1 to 3 months before I can buy a scope so I can get it up and shooting!
Good thinking Jimmy223!
By the way Jimmy223 it was just great to meet you in person at the recent big Gunshow near Seattle. I enjoyed chatting with you and showing you my Hunting albums - by the way thank you for being a patient gentleman and looking at all my pics!
I am "closing" the "scope gap"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG you need to have a bit more EBAY in your life. I hate moving to the next rifle until I have a proper load worked up and it is ready to hunt. Stop the stealing and get some more scopes. Sharing scopes is almost as bad as sharing a toothbrush, only should be done in emergencys. The only time that is acceptable is when you have a high power test scope for accuracy and load work. LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, it is very odd that there are scopes sitting around here also, I sold a bunch of guns without scopes so that is where most came from. Of course a couple new ones from good ol' eBay helps also.
Great to meet you also, sorry I got called away from the show but problems on the home front could not wait and damnit if it didn't cost as much as another scope.
I have been using the Leupold QR weaver type bases and then several types of the tact. type rings from Leupold,Badger,Arms and a few others. Seems to work well but of course only on the rifles.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
varmintguy: I do the samething with my sling. I have 1 sling that i use on all my guns...... Sad aint it?

Posts: 22 | Location: north missouri | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually that works quite well for me Kris. I think I'm up to 2 slings now. Big Grin

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the sling swapping. I'll pay several hundreds and thousands of dollars for scopes and rifles, but I am too cheap to own more than a couple slings. However, I carried a friends rifle that had a neoprene sling, and to my suprise, it was much more comfortable than my old Uncle Mikes cordura nylon sling. I may have to open up the wallet and get me one. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am four scopes behind as well......................actuall I have a 2.5x compact leupold sitting there but don't really want that scope on the 4 rifles missing scopes.

Scopeless guns;

1. cz .375 H&H
2. M98 1909 .404 J
3. Brno Model 1 .22 lr
4. Brno Model 2 .22 lr

I don't like to change scopes either so this is how it is until I catch up................. Frowner

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: I don't feel SO bad now!
When I get up to two or three scopes behind I find I just QUIT buying new Rifles til I get some scopes!
I can honestly say I do not ever remember being 4 scopes behind!
Hope all is well in your hemispere and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all - down under.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy