New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 vs 22-250?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you were going to build a "custom gun" on a 98 mauser action-something for punching paper and Varmits at extended distances, what would you build?

I am thinking a 22-250 with a 26 inch douglas barrel and some sort of thumb hole stock with a good 6-20 scope on top.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lubbockdave: I heartily endorse your choosing the 26" barrel for your custom Rifle!
I love long barrels. I have a couple of Douglas barrels on my custom Rifles and they have served me well.
I think the bolt face may be easier (and cheaper) to go the 22-250 way with.
Are the Mauser 98's available with 222 type bolt faces?
If you have the action already I also recommend the three position style safety feature being added or at least looked into.
Best of luck with your project!
I love the latest thumbhole stock I am using now - its on my factory offered Remington XR-100 Varminter - its fit and feel are wonderful for me.
I like the feel and stability of laminated wood also. That may be a decision for you to contemplate as well.
The 22-250 is capable of very pleasing accuracy and that I hope will come true on your Rifle! You can punch paper and handle the "far out there" type Varmints very well indeed with the 22-250.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello LD. I once had a 1916 Efurt action beautifully sporterized with a 26" heavy varmint contour 22-250 barrel, and a figured walnut stock with rosewood tip,grip cap and inlay, in the style of the mid 50's. I think the barrel was Douglas XX. The original trigger was tuned very, very well and it carried a 2"Unertl 24 power in posa mounts.It was a wonderfully accurate varmint rifle for G-hogs and pond turtles here. With a high cheekpiece and that scope, the original safety worked well. You will not go wrong with your idea if it is well executed, and your rifle will likely exceed the one I had because of modern components. Enjoy.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well l'am not a savage lover but if just starting out,you might think about useing one
they are sort of todays 98's.most of the work
you have to do on the 98 is done.could be a
real good place to start..

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bigger .224 caliber cases really pay off at extended ranges. I like the 220 swift my self. Loaded down to 22.250 velocity, the brass lasts along time. Loaded up it works really well on bigger vermin like songdogs and chucks.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I have a few 98's but if I were going to spend the $$$ to build a custom I wouldn't base it on that action. I bought a cooper varminter in 204 ruger for $1000. It's about as close to a custom rig you can get without spending the extra money.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lofter: How does the Cooper Varminter in 204 shoot so far?
I just love the looks and feel of the Cooper Varmint Rifles!
Maybe I will have to step up and try one here in the near future?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JUst my opinion but I would keep the nice mauser for a hunting rifle like 30/06 or 9.3x62 etc. and buy a heavy barrelled rem 700 for varmints in 22/250 you will have a tack holder and heaps of great varmint parts for it.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the .222Rem. is probably a trifle more accurate than the .22-250 but not by much. However, the .22-250 will reach out much further than the .222Rem. It also packs more wallop since the bullets are moving much faster. Still at moderate distance of around 200yds. or less there's nothing I love more than my .222Rem. on woodchucks. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "extended distances" and the "mauser 98" action seem to be the deciding factors on this one!!! First off, a Mauser 98 is not the most conducive action to build the little .222,223 size stuff off of!! The 22-250(.473 bolt face) is pretty much a done deal already!! Now to the "extended distances"......22-250 will EXTEND the distances greatly!!! The .222 is and has been and will always be, a great little 100-200 yard target gun and extend the effectiveness out to 300-350 on varmints but he 22-250 also has seen some use in the BR fields(at it's inception) and accurracy is not a problem!! Now couple the accurracy with the fast velocity that can be accomplished with this round and then go on and extend the effective range to 500-600-?????whatever you want to try! Add the effects of a 1-8 fast twist barrel, shooting the 69,70,80 grain projectiles available now to it and take it on out there if you want to! I have an inborn fondness for the accurracy available in a .222 but also have a fondness for the superiority of the 22-250 if given a choice! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the Mauser away. Hang it on the wall. I have a Cooper Classic in 22-250AI it kicks butt. Yesterday I blew up a bunch of Squirrels with it.Its state of the art. To me its a "Working Mans Custom rifle)

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
VG....If I could take one rifle to varmint heaven my cooper would get the nod. I haven't reloaded for it yet but it shoots factory hornady 40's in the 2's and 3's hohum yawn. Most I have heard don't like the 40's but if the 32's are better oh wow. Now if I can just get on the range in a dead calm...lol.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lofter, Glad your .204 likes the 40's!! No such luck here except for one of the Model 7's taht seems to like the factory 40 Hornady load about as well as anything tried! Now the Savage .204VLP absolutely LOVES the 39 grain SIERRA'S!!!! I'll send you a few of them to try if you want some! And the 32 SIERRA'S also have been quite pleasing in my testing......the Model 7(different one) that is bedded and floated prefers the SIERRA 32's over all else!! Let me know if you want a few to test! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I could add to those suggestions...I would go the savage 22-250 route..buy the best one you can afford..nice stock plus the Acctrigger.[older ones are ok but you will need to add an adjustable replacement trigger] .Top it with a good vari-power scope & think about going to 25X or 32X if you can afford the Xtra $$$...you will really appreciate the xtra power when doing load development work..The main reason I would go Savage is the ability to switch barrels by yourself ..Some big name & big dollar barrel makers are setting up to sell semi-custom drop in savage replacement barrels in some very fine wildcat cartridges...6mm Br & the 6mm/22-250 Come to mind.The ability to order & drop in a new barrel without going a full blown custom route is great news for varmint hunters.Les money,& no long waits getting your action rebarreled..I'd also use the Leupold brand quick disconnect base & ring set..I did an Adams & bennett 35 Whelan conversion/rebarrel on a savage 116 action..It came out great & it shoots so well..Those 35 bullets touch at 100 yds.just under 450 dollars w/ the action wrench.I can't wait to find another used savage in a short action this time for the 6mm/22-250 wildcat..good luck...Ask all the questions u want.. I'll find the guys name who is doing Douglas barrels as drop-ins for under 300 dollars...mike in ct

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
22-250 all the way, great choice!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sharp shooter supply in ohio Can do every kind of aftermarket goodies for Savage rifles..Barrels triggers stocks..mike in ct

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC is on the money. A little .222 will be lost in a M98 and in my opinion is also too clumsy for the 250. Keep it for a hunting rifle and get a Rem700.

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
In a 98 action I'd not do either one. They are just not a "clean" fit to me.

I'd build something a bit bigger and probably on a standard length. The long range varminting thing would make me want to go to .257 or .264, and probably an Improved Roberts or 6.5-.284. Building one would definately have me looking at the 26" premium grade barrels, and various bells and whistles.
I'd want to be able to use it for more than what can be done with a .222 or .22-250. If it is to be a dedicated varmint rifle then I'd consider a 220 Swift, or the .257 Imp Roberts with a twist rate specifically for the 75 to 87gr varmint bullets. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 98's in 22-250 that work just great on 500 or so yd shots on prarie dogs. The only downfall with the 22-250 is that the recoil often knocks you off your sight picture even with the heavy barrels. I would like a 223 (probably a Savage) for a lighter recoil.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get a muzzle brake...The 223 loses the sight picture in the big power scopes...If I get to do some P dog shooting.. My main gun would be a 223 varmint weight barrel [muzzle brake added] custom trigger, just a decent burris 4 X 14 scope & a one in ten twist rate barrel for 60 gr V-max bullets ....mike in ct

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Stating that you (or anyone) are building a rifle on a 98 action is certainly “painting with a broad brushâ€. I have two guns built on milsurp 98s. One is a light little .308 that is a deer killing machine and the other is a heavy 22-250. In light of what I have learned about milsurp actions I don’t think I would build another one. That being said I also realize there are some really nice production “clones†that would work quite well and give you a very classy varmint rifle.

My vote is for the 22-250. If this is going to be just a bench rifle, I would go with a barrel that starts out the same diameter as the action. If the barrel is slightly larger, you can easily lathe the excess. I would contour just slightly to the muzzle. A slight contour (IMHO) gives the rifle that custom look compared to a straight blank. I would suggest going another inch or two longer (than 26) if this might be used for high volume varmint shooting. The longer barrel will not only develop excellent velocity with slower powders, you can cut and rechamber when the throat is gone. A barrel this size and weight should keep the target within the scope up to 20 power.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote