Find
Notify
Tools

600-yard Ground Hog Rifle???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Nope, don't have any coordinates, if he's familiar with SW PA I could tell him where the shot was, though. It was actually in a little town called Rostraver Twp. I can see why people wouldn't believe there are shots that long to be taken there, but the man shot over a road (which in his defense is legal because he was very, very far above it) from the back of one field to another. Sorry if that doesn't help much, tell him to e-mail me (jel225@psu.edu) and I'll try to talk him to the spot.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here in Idaho...

We can safely shoot as far as we can see. That said, my latest favorite 1/2 mile Rockchuck rifle is a Savage 12 BV-SS-S. I think that is what they call it. I bought three in 223 and tested them all for accuracy with Black Hills Match 68gr HP. The most accurate one went to my gunsmith, along with my 22-284 Reamer. The reasons I chose Savage are:
1. The Accu-Trigger
2. Sterling accuracy reputation.
3. 1:9" twist lets me shoot those hot looking 80gr competition bullets from Nosler, Sierra, and custom makers
like Jimmy Knox(JLK) or Berger.
4. The 22-284 will launch them at 3550-3600fps and groups under an inch at 300 yards in shooting conditions.

Add in a good rangefinder, and a ballistic drop chart and get after them!

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How do competition bullets perform on varmints? Some people have told me they pencil through, while some say they are fine.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
I can see why people wouldn't believe there are shots that long to be taken there, but the man shot over a road (which in his defense is legal because he was very, very far above it) from the back of one field to another. Sorry if that doesn't help much, tell him to e-mail me (jel225@psu.edu) and I'll try to talk him to the spot.

It would just be much easier if you found it on Google Earth. The satellite images of the Rostraver, PA area are fairly high resolution. Should be easy for you to find the spot using the raster to find the coordinates of the firing point and target.

If you have questions on how to do that, let me know.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 20-250AI with a 30inbl.
I'm getting 4500+ with the 40 grain v-max. You'll be good to 700 yards without sending 90+grians of lead into a house two miles down the road. Big Grin 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
I whack PDs with extreme efficiency out past 600 yards with a .25-06 Rem. If you want you can make it a .25-06AI. I have no familiarity with the .25 WSM but I am sure it would be great. I shoot 100 grain bullets.
Will

I've been looking at a Savage 26" heavy barrel in 25-06 for the same use. The only thing that gives me pause is the low BC of the .257 varmint bullets at 600-700 yards. Do you mind telling me about your experiences with the 100 grainers and how well they mist little critters at long range?

Bigfoot

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
6mm Rem loaded with 95 VLDs, ah, 39grs 760 worked in my rig a few years ago, shot in the mid 3s pretty consistantly @100yds. Wink

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
another supporter of Jay Gorski's over the 25/06 idea...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Hey Big Foot,

I shoot the Berger 110 MEF's out of my 25 wssm. They're about as good as it gets for bc in the "factory" .25 cal bullets. You get a better selection in 6mm/.243 or 6.5mm in my limited opinion...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
How do competition bullets perform on varmints? Some people have told me they pencil through, while some say they are fine.

I shoot match bullets through my 22-250 and they do NOT pencil through. They don't exploded like the TNT bullets but they in fact turn the dogs inside out. All you see is a bang flop though, not the comeoff the ground explode into 50 pieces that I got with the TNT in a 6mm Rem, which is good well past 600 yrds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
I whack PDs with extreme efficiency out past 600 yards with a .25-06 Rem. If you want you can make it a .25-06AI. I have no familiarity with the .25 WSM but I am sure it would be great. I shoot 100 grain bullets.
Will
I don't think this statement is Entirly correct. I would say that the 458lottfan attacks PDs with extreme predujice. Ive seen it. My suggestion would be for the 25-06 or a 6mm remington. I personally shoot a 25-06AI shooting a 100G sierria hpbt match bullet getting 3344 fps This is a solid 500 yard groundhog gun. I have no problem shooting groups in the low 3s @100 yards. In fact My rifle is a remington 40x with a shilen barrell and Is for sale If anyone is interested.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have been off the web for a bit.

Big-foot the PD's don’t mist at all at 600+ with my 100 grain bullets out of my 25-06. They flip or fall over. Not enough velocity to blow up good but they certainly kill. I am not sure what caliber would mist a PD past 600 yards. To retain the velocity needed to expand the bullet on such a small critter you have to go to a heavier bullet. Then you don't have enough critter to properly absorb the bullets energy. Maybe a 6.5X284 or a wild cat 7MM would work. But keeping velocity up with varmint bullets past 600 yards is tough.

I am not the know all on this subject I just know the calibers that I shoot very well.
I am open to new ideas for a good 1000 yard PD gun.

Kill a hog and I where shooting at PD's between 1000 and 1100 yards last June. We were coming dam close nearly every shot (with in 3 to 4 inches either side) but my rifle and cartridge just could not group with in minuet of PD at that range.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been doing a lot of research about building the exact same rifle. Here is what I decided on. My parameters were a high BC, Low recoil, and being able to see my shots. I bought a LH Remington 700VSF in 22-250. I am in the process of ordering a 28 inch varmint taper barrel. I will chamber it in 22-250. The twist rate will be 1in8. I want to shoot the 75 grain Hornady A-Max at 3300 fps with H-414. Or so I hope. I am also going to add a muzzle brake. I did not want the brake, but after a lot of reading I decided the brake would be necessary to see impacts.

I also hunt in northern WV and SW PA. I have several places where I can shoot 600 yards and farther. We even have a 1,000 yard range here in Rivesville, WV. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head0001,

Where do you do your hunting in SW PA? I'm in Fayette County, but not too far from Westmoreland.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Draw a triangle between JollyTown and Brave(PA), and Hundred(WV). I do a lot of ground hog hunting in that area. I also do a little bit in the Waynesburg area. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
For my $$, it would be hard to beat either the 240 or 257 Weatherbys, the 25-06, or the 6.5-284. Whoever suggested the new Savage varmint or target class rifles had it right on the money.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 243 with 70gr ballistic tips would be hard to beat out to 600yds.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
or the 6.5-284. Whoever suggested the new Savage varmint or target class rifles had it right on the money.

That was me. This is my first REAL good group ever (100yds) measures a little under .5" (if I'm measuring it right)

And this is the gun. It's a joy to shoot. trigger is spectacular.

It is in the 6.5 x 284 Norma

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Run a ballistics program for 600 yds. for all the bullets u're interested in, and then pick the 1 that's the best in the wind.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
Run a ballistics program for 600 yds. for all the bullets u're interested in, and then pick the 1 that's the best in the wind.

That will usually be some place close to the heaviest bullet the barrel will stabilize. Wind bucking was why I bought the .22-250 with a 9" twist. It appears to work for up to 75g bullets.

The 6.5-284 is better for wind, but probably not the best GH cartridge for real world shooting situations in most of the semi-rural east coast.

I did shoot one of the 36g Varmint Grenades out of my .22-250. It clocked at 4,400 fps (with the 9" twist that thing was spun up pretty good!) but still has more wind deflection (50") at 500 yards than the 75g bullet (17"). The 6.5-284 will be a couple of inches less than the 75g .22-250, maybe more.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
[QUOTE]And this is the gun. It's a joy to shoot. trigger is spectacular.
It is in the 6.5 x 284 Norma

Congratulations! That is one seriously good rifle. It has the same basic action and tigger (with the port on the other side) as my LRPV. Solid as the rock. These new Savage long range rifles with the rigid action and target accutrigger are in the contest for most accurate production rifles ever available to the general public.

I agree, the precision target accutrigger trigger is nothing short of fantastic. I predict you will cut your current best group, the one you showed the picture of, more than in half real soon now. With the right load .2" 3 shot 100 yard groups are not unusual with that rifle. You have a good one.

The biggest risk with these rifles is that you might split a lip grinning at targets. Smiler

There is one of those in my future, but probably not for a year or two. I'm still having fun with the LRPV and my other two new rifles.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote