THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Started 2007 with a "Bang Flop"

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Started 2007 with a "Bang Flop"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
Well 2007 is now well and truly here and I hope you all had a great festive season.

I developed some new loads in the 22K Hornet and tested them on Tuesday at the range. With a 45gr Sp and a average speed of just below 2800fps and a group of less than an inch on 100 yards I had an itch to test the new loads and start of the new year with a bang. :smirk:

On Friday afternoon I phoned the ranch owners where I usually go and call and the ranchers said yes please come and call the jackal is keeping them awake at night. They are calling all around the house at night.

I met the rancher at around 18:35 and showed me areas where he saw a lot of activity the last couple of days. I made my 1st stand at around 19:05 but the sun was still setting and it was not until 19:45 that it was dark enough to use the Light Force.

I used hand calls and it was not more than 15 minutes after I started calling that I had a visitor. I stopped him at 120 yards and the new load performed a "Bang Flop" thumb

Moved to my second stand and this stand was close to where the cows and calves are bedding down and after maybe two sets of calls with the Critter Caller I had another visitor.

The new load performed well but my shot placement was not correct :duh: and I had to fire a second shot after the jackal ran more than a 100 yards. The second shot was on the money. thumb

I moved to another ranch and on my third stand for the evening had my 3rd jackal coming in after maybe 7 minutes.
Again the new load performed a "Bang Flop" at 70 yards. :grin:

A good start to the new year for sure 3 stands and 3 jackal. :grin: thumb

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Somewhere Annubis is stirring.......

IV

(Nice work by the way....)

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anubis??

Hey thats a cool name.

Gerhard aka Anubis Smiler

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
And three souls are lost on their way to the afterlife.

Damn......works for me....... Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Nicely Done Gerhard!!

There's a 22k hornet in my future. It looks like a real fur friendly round.

I gotta get out this week and try a few bang flops.

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith,

Yes, the 45gr looks like good medicine for jackal but I can mail you pictures of the same 45gr bullets that is not friendly at all.

It all depends on shot placement.

You will not be sorry about the 22K Hornet. I love mine.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Jakkals, Isn't the K-hornet a wonderful cartridge. Congratulations on some excellent hunting an report, not to mention the pictures.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote