New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice About Moly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need everyones advice about moly coated bullets. I have a new Remington in .308 Winchester. I only have 24 rounds through it so far.

After reading a few comments on this forum, I'm beginning to have doubts about the benefits to be gained using moly coated bullets, versus plain jacketed bullets. Any advice would be welcomed.

Best regards,........Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: USA, Virginia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally used them but would not from what I've heard. It's only purpose is to reduce copper fouling so you can shoot more between cleaning but the moly build up is hard to remove and sometimes can't be fully removed thus ruining the barrel. Some barrel manufacturers even warn against using moly bullets in their barrel as the moly will build up excessively and just ruin the barrel. Since your rifle is new, I wouldn't risk ruining it off the bat and just shoot the plain bullets.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
River Rat
I have used moly bullets in service rifle Palma and 1000 yard matches.
I also used moly bullets on a receint prairie dog hunt.
I have seen tests that go both ways. However I know my barrels clean easier when a lot of shooting is done using moly bullets.
A friend used a progressive loader to load his practice 223 ammo. Before he started using moly bullets if he got a case without powder the bullet would stick in the bbl. After he started using moly bullets if he got another case with no powder the primer alone was enough to drive the bullet out of the barrel. Than convinced me that moly does reduce friction.
When I use moly bullets I clean my barrel in the same way. I do feel I can shoot quite a few more rounds without fouling the barrel out.
Tests by Norma with the 6.5x55 more than doubled accurate barrel life.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Super Magnum. I was originally hoping to shoot more, with less wear on the barrel, but I think I'm going to just clean everything out that I can, and use regular jacketed bullets.

Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: USA, Virginia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2........now I'm even more confused. I am using Kroil Oil and Butches Bore Shine to clean with. Should I be using something different?

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
No those liquids are just fine.
I heard a rumor that WW molys their Failsafes so they will shoot good in many different barrels and foul less. That is one of the problems with the Barnes X, they are individually barrel sensitive. By using moly on the Failsafe factory rounds they increased the number of barrels the loads will shoot good in.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last spring I purchased a Ruger#1 in 220 Swift.
The only shells I can find locally for it are Hornady's with Molly.
The barrel does seem to clean somewhat easier. I have read that when shooting Molly bullets you can clean less frequently

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2........Thanks! I'm trying to adjust to the 21st century, but am going in screaming and knashing my teeth! My shooting partner finally forced me into the computer age when he gave me his old one, and showed me some basics.

A tip of the hat! Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hairtrigger, thanks for the sitrep.....thank all of you for the advice!

Best regards.......Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
River Rat, take a look at http://www.Zediker.com and check the info. on moly coatings. David Tubb is the highpower rifleman. Glen Zediker is a cohort of his, and an incredibly knowledgeable rifleman. In a nutshell, these guys like moly, and neither of these guys or their affiliates are doing anything that wouldn't be the best for rifle performance.

There is stuff under the download section which is just great reading for a serious rifle guy!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, thanks for giving me that website! I'll get right to it! Going with moly coated bullets is somewhat like buying your first plastic pistol.......thanks again!
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish - thanks for the website - lots of info for more than just Moly - again thanks

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use moly bullets in my 17 Rem. Sako rifle. I tried some Wipe Out bore cleaner for the first time last week. I wonder, don`t know if the two products are the best way to protect the barrel.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
RR,

I've used moly for several years now, for many thousand rounds. I use it only on my high-volume rigs anymore (highpower and varminters).

Given the fouling and seasoning requirements each time you clean the barrel, it didn't make sense for my .30 hunting rigs or anything that you weren't going to shoot many rounds on one day. For match rifles or something you'll shoot lots of rats with, it's a good idea.

Forget the wax. I've never seen a need for it but others have made a case in favor of it.

Shoot me an email if you'd like. I've probably already tried most of the experiments you're likely to! No sense reinventing the wheel...

Redial
markriedl@yahoo.com

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One difference that I have seen in molly coated bullets is that no matter what the temp or humidity is..it seems to hold about the same group.

You only live once..Make it count!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while were on the subject of moly coated bullets how easily does the moly coating come off iv heard it rubs off if you have a couple of rounds in your pocket while out hunting is this true?

Posts: 64 | Location: australia | Registered: 29 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moly???? DON'T!!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote