New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spouse survey?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does your wife support your gun habit or go ballistic everytime you bring home a new gun?

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
she is in full support. she would much rather have me bring home a gun rather than another woman!!!

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you why I ask. My wife is very understand of the importance of my 40 year gun habit. However I am always hearing about other guys that are not as lucky.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok; you and I are both blessed having wives that overlook our afflictions. Mine understands that my rifles and rods and reels come with the territory. She does fish with me so she "understands" why I take 7 rods and reels with me when I go fishing alone. This helps with the .222 through .458 caliber by caliber concept. There IS a difference between a 0.257 and a .264 or a .277 and a .284. [Wink]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She definitely supports mine. When I simply mention how I like a certain gun, she says "Well, why don't you buy it." Although she doesn't shoot, hunt, or fish with me, she does help me reload on occasion. She realizes how much it relaxes me and how much I enjoy it, so she never complains. I am definitely one of the lucky ones.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife wants me to sell all of my guns and reloading stuff.
However... I did manage to get a all concrete gunroom built into my new basement

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you get the vault door on before garage sale season rolls around!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She wants to know if it is for her!
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am truly blessed with mine-after asking her out for 5 and a half years and getting turned down and shot down for 5 and a half years she agreed and we went out. A year later we got married. Best day of my life!

She is quickly becomming my best hunting partner and she really lights things up with her 788/22-250 or with one of my bigger guns.

Bragging time here but a while back she was using my 7 Mashburn Super to powder basketball size rocks at 700 (we have Premier dotz in it).

She's -SIMPLY THE BEST

I just love to watch women shoot-they don't care about this or that minutia-they don't care what they shoot they just let her rip.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife is very supportive but also quite naive.

Example: She picked up an extra $600 in incentives with her latest pay check (this is very good for us). She offered to buy me a new gun with my 25% it.

Well I do need some more reloading supplies!

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, it must be the water. I live in Bozo. also, and my wife is my best friend. She's a better shot than 80% of my friends and has taken deer, antelope and elk ( she does the shootin! ). Her favorite big game is antelope ( 65 degrees and flat ) and she's a fanatic on gophers prairie dogs and rock chucks. The only shooting skill she doesn't want to learn is how to clean rifles, ( did I mention she was smart? ). I thank the good Lord everyday that she puts up with my dumb ass. She not only doesn't rag me when I by a rifle, she trys to act excited with me, I'm truly blessed.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife is really good about my guns and hunting!!! She even helps me get my Airline Tickets and insists that I have mounts done of
whatever trophy I shoot.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Full Support. She would much rather have me spening my money on guns than in a titty bar. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife either doesn't have a clue as to what my firearms costs are or she simply isn't saying anything. I try not to tell her any more than I have to. It's not just the cost of the firearms. It's the reloading component costs, after market add on costs to make the rifles shoot well, and the price of optics. Boy, they run it up sky high. I keep three separate bank accounts, and that helps to addle her brains a bit. I don't think she minds, but why risk it? We've survived 36 years of "don't ask, don't tell." It works for the U.S.Army, it works for me! Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fortunately my gunsafe is in my shop a half mile away and sneeking in new guns is not a problem

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife's bought most of my guns for me. Some of them, she's asked me about what I like and gone out and bought them. Lately she's sent me out to do the buying. That's basically just a go-ahead to get what I want, of course. We're married, we don't have any "this is my money and that's yours" arrangement.
[Smile]

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem here- my wife always seems to find the money for my guns, bows, and hunting supplies. She won't hunt, but she looks forward to all the meat, and helps butcher the animals.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My wife is pretty smart. She figured out there wasn't as much competition from a pre-64 Model 70 or a long extractor whatever as there was a from a younger blond. So she endulged me with the guns I sought and never complained about them. And she further figured out her man was less likely to get in trouble hunting the remote corners of the world than going to a bowling tournament in Atlantic City or Reno. She followed up by going along on some hunting trips to Africa and then getting involved in the hunting. She figured out the danger areas and does sporting clays shooting with me and some skeet/trap. Smart girl, still shows up on my radar screen and keeps any potential competion off. And she never bitches when I bring home a new gun or say I'm going hunting.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, i got a pretty good story about a related topic. One time i was out hunting coyotes in the middle of nowheresville, when i came around the corner, and lo-and-behold here's some cute chickadee sitting out on a lawn chair getting some sun in the middle of the prairie, sitting next to her 4X4. So i thinks, why not?, and went for it. I got out of my truck walked up to her, started a conversation, and finally asked her out-- all in the grungiest camos ever seen outside of a dumpster. Believe it or not, she said yes, and we went out to dinner later that week. Threw that one back in the face of all my friends that said i'd never find a date out on the prairie.

Nowadays though my Philippino fiancee, gives me some s___, but it's all in fun-- i think/hope.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here's how it works. if she doesn't want you to buy a gun, you buy it anyway and take the ass chewing. the ass chewing goes away and you still have the gun. cheers...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am married to Hillary Clinton, and I have to keep my guns in a storage facility.

She was really sweet when she was young.
The first time she ever pulled the trigger of a rifle, a Rem 700 17 Rem, she killed a prarie dog. That was in 1982, but now we have kids.

[ 09-28-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Mine loves to hunt (antelope, like mentioned above, 65 degrees and flat), and birds.

She's not quite supportive of my gun habits, but she understands it is lots cheaper than a bar habit or cigarette habit, and the worst I get is a sigh and rolled eyes.

So, as long as I keep her in shotgun shells, and antelope rifles, she's also willing to kill a cow elk for the freeze when we need one (her tag, her shooting).

Then again, I'm about as understanding of her wine and photography habits, as she is of my gun habit. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you ever have real trouble getting a rifle, you might try leaving bass boat catalogs around for a while.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
Let's see...

Father-in-law owns a gun store, wife shoots like a natural, son's name is Gunnar.

Our only limitation is time...

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has almost zero interest in shooting, but she is supportive of my habit.

Playing Dr. Freud here, I think she likes the fact that I can hit what I shoot. Maybe its the whole protector thing, maybe its "if the world ends we won't be the first to die", or "if safeway goes away we can always eat squirrel".

Either way, I wish she'd come shooting more often (she comes about once a year to humor me and see how they work) but I'm glad she appreciates a small group or a quail dinner.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine also is very supportive, after reading all the replies I went and looked into the gun safe, sure as heck, she bought most of them for me. Been married for 40years, wouldn't trade her for anything.

Posts: 13 | Location: Az | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Support...Hmmmmmmm. I'd have to say I don't know. My wife is a suburbanite and I grew up in the sticks with enough room to take a leak in my front yard is I chose to.

Just a few weeks ago I went to Olde English Outfitters and unknown to me prior, they were having a huge sale with everything one year same as cash. You can't beat that! So, like a nice husband, I called her on the cell phone and told her about it that I wanted to get a Leupold scope for my pistol. It cost $400. [Big Grin] The first words out of her mouth after I explained were "Holy crap John!" Lets see here, $400/12months = $33.33/month. Doesn't seem bad to me. My father-in-law pays $50/mo for cable. We don't even have cable.

However, the other day, I got a notice for my NRA membership. She asked me if I wanted to get the life membership for $750. [Eek!] Someone explain this! I'm confused and know nothing about a Womans Logic except, there is none. [Confused]

[ 09-30-2003, 20:53: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to subscribe to "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." But, then came the time that we ended up with a computerized sewing machine that cost more than all my guns and equipment put together!!! [Eek!] Yet, she still had a major problem with my hobby.

After 21 years, finally figured out that no matter what I did, I couldn't keep her happy. So I cut her loose, so she could try and find someone who could.

Now, I'm seeing a very cute young(er) blonde, who has her own money, her own expensive hobby (horses), a reasonably rich Daddy and a reasonably rich ex-husband, who she gets along with, for the kids sake.

She's only been out shooting with me once, but has asked several times when we're going again. [Smile] She tried moose meat on the weekend, and while she wasn't begging for more, didn't really mind it. I'm going pheasant hunting tomorrow, and she's looking forward to her first pheasant dinner.

Funny thing is, I treat her no better or worse than my wife, when we were married. My wife never stopped complaining. My gf feels like a princess. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before we ever got married my dad told my soon to be wife, "Don't ever ask him to choose between his guns or you, because you won't like the answer!" Lucky for me she came from a hunting family (dad and brother) so she understands what it's like to be around a hunter and gun nut. I've tried to get her to go to the goose blind with me but she hates the cold. She will eat everything I bring home but doesn't really care to be around when it's harvested or during butchering. I have my hobbies, she has hers and we have things we like to do together as a family. I thinks that's the best way to have it! She's just waiting until the day I bring home a rifle for my youngest daughter, she'll be the one going to elk camp with me. I just can't decide which caliber to buy!
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, there's an old saying that "A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs. A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need." You need to tell her they're having a great sale on Leupold scopes right now, you can save lots of money and don't know when you'll get another chance like this again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Supportive and a pretty decent shot. Last month she thoroughly enjoyed running a couple clips through a match M-1. After shooting I informed her that most people her age have never shot a standard issue let alone a match M-1. That added to her appreciation.

Damn accurate rifle.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife pretty much looks the other way. She once told me that to her a gun is just "a pipe on a piece of wood." She can't tell one from the other. I buy new guns and carry them around the house and she is none the wiser.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That worked here with guitar amps, for a little while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Puts up with it, more than supports it. Doesn't mind me shooting for the relaxation, but is very "anti" when it comes to issues such as RKBA. Can't see why anyone neds more than one or maybe two guns.

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Darn
I thought some where spouses had been declared varmits and I wanted to ask if ex-spouses were legal.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh, at this point I'm supporting HER shooting habit. Didn't think she'd get into the game quite so actively. If it's got to do with shotguns or pistols she's ready; she's got better shotguns than mine. She was raised in West Texas hunting with her physician father so when we married it wasn't like she'd never pulled a trigger. But it was when she met up with a group of like-minded female friends that the whole picture got tilted out of hand. So now The Child Bride has her own group of shooting girlfriends that call themselves The DIVAS and they go around the world hunting, busting clays and whatever. They've even been on TV a few times. The pictures of their parties are alarming; wish I knew how to post some of them. The YO Ranch in Texas knows what I'm talking about. Like their motto says, "If We Can't Shoot It We'll Buy It". What a revolting development this turned out to be.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Arock, that tops it.

I thought I had it bad when my wife decided to shoot the sporting clays league with me this summer. A reloader, a new Beretta, chokes, bags, and what-not later, I still haven't quite figured out what hit me. All I know is we were going through a case of 12 ga. shells a week for a while, and I was in the reloading room a LOT pulling that handle..... LOL!

It could be so much worse.... I remember the "honey, why don't we go see the symphony". Geez, at least when I'm shooting, I get to wear earplugs! LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:

It could be so much worse....

Oh yes IT CAN GET SO MUCH WORSE... Try this on for size, "Honey, can you watch the kids next weekend? The girls are going to practice all day Saturday and I want to go." That means it's just me against The Three Mutant Offspring. Moving from man-to-man to zone coverage.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is in full support of my guns, reloading and fishing gear. She say's it's allot cheaper than bail money and keeps me outa the bars.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually bring home the old P.O.S.s and rebuild them. Spare parts EVERYWHERE!!! Keeps her at bay.

She's figured out that my hobby gives her a green light for her hobbies.

I'm afraid to ask what 'scrapbooking' is and why it takes 5 women to do it.

Her only stipulation is that I keep the working firearms in the safe and the powder on the top shelf in my cave (den). More than reasonable with 2 rugrats running around.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote