New
Find
Notify
Tools

longest shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
175mm tube, 63 "charlies" 25 clicks (verified by recon platoon).

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyote, shot it across two 1/4 mile fallow strips(880yards) with a 30-06. Witnessed by my hunting partner(and land owner)who knew the distance.

The load: 185 grain Burger
N160 57.5 grains
F210M/LC62NM
COL: 3.28"

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike R:

Good job!!

Semper Fi or Hooah! which ever applies!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire:

For "cannon cockers" after firing a few 175mm rounds at "zone 8" (That's a max load for the tube) it's not "Hooah"! It's:

HUH????

My ears still won't stop ringing.... [Eek!]

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot on any game was 325 yards on a woodchuck in Ontario. I got him with a .243Win. using a 70gr. Sierra HP. My buddie and I got into a playful argument over it. He kept saying I hit it, and I kept saying I'd missed. He was right, and I was glad. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do NVA and mini-guns count? And have any of you fellas seen a 16" splash? [Big Grin] I thought this was about hand helds...oh well.

[ 07-05-2003, 02:02: Message edited by: DigitalDan ]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wild dog,bit child,Sav.Tactical .308,155gr.A-max,45 gr. Varget.450 yds. Popped him up in the air like a pop can. I paced it off at 450+. My neighbors 2 year old was the one bitten and she was okay but the dog is but a memory LOL.
After seeing that shot,my anti-gun neighbor started inquiring about rifles and commenting on how he never thought a rifle/any rifle could shoot that far that accurately. 2 weeks later he bought his first gun. [Big Grin]
I felt I done some good there.Ended a reign of terror of a unruly dog and helped the blind to see LOL. jerryboy

[ 07-05-2003, 03:08: Message edited by: jerryboy ]

Posts: 8 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good Jerryboy, hat's off to ya'

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see: Helmet On, Flack Jacket on, and tight!
Ready Set Go:

While I have read some impressive distances I have to ask, are we ethical shooting at certain targets at such long distances? I am concerned, and I base this with 30 yrs plus in the field..
While we are talking about our hits at long range, how many want to own up to the higher number of misses at long range?

And those few that will own up to the misses at long range, can they account for the bullet and where it went?

Even in the west, where we have the long ranges and we have a lot of mountaineous back drops, we have to decide what is ethical. Anyone in here ever know of a person killed by a long range shot, that missed? I have. After college, my gf got a job as an EMT with a hospital in Binghampton NY. In the first week of her new job, she was called to a farm house that the wife was sitting at the dining room table and her husband said he heard a plink and breaking glass. He walked into the kitchen to see his wife slumped over the table in a pool of blood. Shot went right thru a window with a curtain, so it was not like someone was aiming to kill her.

A 22 LR has a range of over 2 miles. What is the range of a high powered rifle.

While I shoot at things at my local gun range from 500 to 850 yds, we have a mountain side as a back drop. ( This is the biggest reason I question the use of Magnums and many of the guys who carry them don't know how to shoot them). Were is that bullet going if you miss something?
Most can not answer that question. Riccochets do not go straight in the line of fire either.

Since we have so many anti gun people and anti hunters, we need to police our own act, instead of just cursing the anti''s and doing what ever we dam well feel like. Policing starts with our personal lives in the field. Not many people on here can write about a part of the country that I have not either lived in or don't have a working knowledge of, especially east of the Mississippi.

600-700-800 yd shots do not have a lot of places that they can be done safely, especially in the field, and especially not by the majority. Guys such as RuffHewn who has posted stuff like that in Alabama, would make my skin crawl.. But the man is a retired marine. I bet he is safer shooting at 1000 yds, than many idiots are at 50.
But he is the exception, not the rule.

Is there a person in here who can say he does not care where his shot goes if he misses? that should be on our minds before we ever pull the trigger.

I have shot prairie dogs at 500 yds, and a few targets in the field at 700 yds ( won't shoot at game that far, period). However after shooting a prairie dog at over 500 yds in one shot, I readjusted the scope back down and missed the next one at 50 to 60 yds 3 times. Sort of cancelled out the 500 yd accomplishment in my book real quick. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what my longest lazered shot would be but I do have a few reall good ones to brag about...

When I was about 13 I knocked over a feral goat at somwhere around 400m, standing offhand...
.300WinMag

A few years later; a swollow in flight with an air rifle...

And still some more years later; One night with some friends, we were playing around with an airgun.
About 80m away was a power post with those ceramic insulators holding up the wires.
Someone had to say, I bet you can't hit that!
Well, a quick shot and a seocond or so later, a distinctive "TING" confirmed the hit!!!

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote