New
Find
Notify
Tools

longest shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the longest shot anyone has made on a coyote with a 223 or 22-250, and what load and gun were you using were you using?

one of us
posted Hide Post
youngh. I've been doing some work in this long-range stuff for a few years now,since i began spotting and stalking coyotes. I'm using the Burris Ballistic Plex, and Ballistic Mil-Dot reticles in most of my scopes now, and I've come to the conclusion that if you approach long-range shooting systematically, you can hit a coyote farther than the effective range of the cartridge you're using. Just last week i hit a coyote at 550 yds. using a customized AR-15 in .223 AI with a 69 gr. Nosler @ 3100 f.p.s. Unfortunately, the bullet hit him in the hindquarter, and i lost him. I can't explain the poor hit, but it could have been from a # of factors, but shooting conditions was not one of them as it was a calm day. I took a dog at 450 with this rig a while back, and the bullet came apart like a varmint jacket-- quite explosive. I think if a guy could push this bullet several hundred f.p.s. faster it just might work for long-range coyotes--if pelt recovery is not a factor. The bigger plastic-tipped bullets would probably go out to 500 or so consistently out of a 22-250 maybe a little farther, using the ballistic reticle/laser rangefinder approach. In my opinion the bigger 6mm/25 cal bullets at high velocity are the way to go if you want to go long-range consistently on coyotes.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My furthest was 607 yards with my 6mm ackley. it was total luck. my load is a 55 grain nosler bt on top of a stiff charge of varget. cruising right along at 4200 fps, consistantly grouping in the 4s.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hvywt8t, That used to be my long-range fur load for calling, except I was using 4064 @ around 4200 too, but I've recently gone to the Horn. 87 gr bullet @ around 3700fps, and this rig is now topped with a 6-24X Burris Ballistic Mil Dot, that's zeroed to 800 yds. (<M.O.A. to that range) for sniping coyotes. Unfortunately, I can't get the 100 grainers to shoot out of it. If I could that's what I'd go for. How do u like that 6Ack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longest shot,,, well it was'nt with a 22-250 or a .223 but it was with a .222. The gun was a rem40X chambered in .222.... The shot was 547 yards and the game was a black bear, 310lbs and that was a long time ago, back when I shot 1st and though later. It was also the luckiest shot I ever made and would not even try a shot like that today.
Of late my best shot was with my 20t-n-t. the coyote was 507 yards and there was no wind, I had a solid rest and all the time in the world to take the shot. My hunting partner/son still can't belive the shot and he was watching through a spotting scope. the bullet was a berger 36grn and it went clear through and never opened up[2 small holes]but the coyote fell over dead in his tracks.

I have made some just under 500 yard shots on deer over the years and many coyotes around the 400 yard mark but that was my longest shot on a coyote.

smote the yote
slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
<belle's dad>
posted
417 on a P-Dog with .223, I'm taking a 6BR Norma this year and going to go for the 500yd club.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a p-dog or coyote but the longest measured shot I've had was 616yards on a fox with the 25-06 and a 100grain Speer HP. Had some groundhogs that were probably that far but didn't have the witnesses or the rangefinder to document them! The varmint rifle from hell!!! (in the eyes of the varmints!! 25-06!!!) GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
My longest was 636yards with a 22-250AI 12X42-56 Nightforce scope 55grn BT on a prairie dog out near Livingston Montana. The day before I dialed my gun out 600yards. I waited 30 minutes for the wind to stop blowing then took one shot a direct hit. I have shot a 280AI farther out than that but was a bigger target.

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
First of all it wasn't a coyote or groundhog. The rifle was a model 70 standard 24" tube 20x unertl ultra varmit 2". ranged at 574yds load was 87gr flat base case full of h4831. Victim was a.....oh shit dare i say Cat? [Big Grin]

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"lofter" good shot on the Cat. What caliber of rifle was you shooting? I took out a prarie dog with a 243 at over 300 yards. All I could see was the top of head sticking out of the hole. But it was enough.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
925 yards on a prairie dog with .223 with 69 grn sierras using AA2520. It took me 17 shots to get the dog. I would be left or right of the target due to the wind. Finally bullet and dog got together. Full hit in the chest. No expansion just two holes. Was enough though. Lots of ammo expended with very little success but I did it. Have 4 witnesses as spotters. AR-15 Super Match with Burris Scope.

Posts: 11 | Location: Hopkinsville, KY | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longest with my .17 rem is 1025 yards on a 13.5x9 water jug. Took me 11 shots to hit it. See precision shooting article Dec 2001.

Also shot a 1 gallon orange juice jug at 1200 yards at Black Water range this past December with my girlfreinds 6br shooting 107gr matchings. Elevation comeup from 100 yards was 43 min.

Corbin Shell
corbinshell@mindspring.com

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corbin shell:
Longest with my .17 rem is 1025 yards on a 13.5x9 water jug. Took me 11 shots to hit it. See precision shooting article Dec 2001.

Also shot a 1 gallon orange juice jug at 1200 yards at Black Water range this past December with my girlfreinds 6br shooting 107gr matchings. Elevation comeup from 100 yards was 43 min.

Corbin Shell
corbinshell@mindspring.com

Yeahhh-- Saw that article in PS mag. Excellent writeup, in fact i made copies, and sent it to all my .17 cal buddies.

posted Hide Post
Longest shot thats agood one? Ishoot a custome built 300win mag. My load is 185gr Lupua bullets, tuned noroma brass 70grs IMR 4350 federal gold metal match primers. I compete in 600yard high power matches once a month. Ihave shot a ton of coyotes past the six hundred yard mark longest shot you would never belive it.

Posts: 23 | Location: canyon lake california | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, since everyone's throwing in here, how about a coyote at 906 Leica lasered yds. with a 15" 6.5-284 Win XP-100. Had a Burris 3-12X LER with Ballistic Plex reticle, and comeups calculated with Gerald Perry's Exbal Ballistic program www.perry-systems.com -- best on the market for only $35, i think.

posted Hide Post
sscoyote Thats a hell of a shot. You go boy .

Posts: 23 | Location: canyon lake california | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This wasn't my longest but it is my most memorable. Mine wasn't measured but it was witnessed. It was a shag at about 4-500 yards with a 6" 357 Smith & Wesson 686 from the hip. It was flying fast and low. We were at sea in a small boat fishing for salmon. I was 16 or 17 at the time. I was just going to heat it up a little and just drew and fired and hit it center. One shot, one kill. Man, what a feeling. That must be what a hole in one feels like.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good Hired Gun--pretty good!

<Gunnerdog>
posted
I shot a fly with my Red Ryder BB Gun at 22 steps. [Razz] Only one shot.

Seriously!!!

<Mike M>
posted
Don't mean to throw stones here -- BUT -- I always wonder why most consider anything over 300 or 400 to be too far to shoot at deer but will happily fling little 55 grain pills at a coyote at ridiculous ranges.

I consider the coyote to be a wonderful game animal and believe he deserves the same respect we show a smelly old whitetail (if not more).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I can't speak for your sense of smell but to call the whitetail smelly compared to a coyote makes me wonder if you've ever shot a coyote? Not to mention if your nose works? After all, the olfactory is easily fatigued.

Whitetail = Chanel #5
Coyote = Skunk

Cheers!

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
Reed,

Please note that I didn't refer to one being more or less odiferous than the other. I was just trying to make a point.

Let me assure you that I have killed -- and skinned -- a considerable number of coyotes.

Mike

posted Hide Post
One of the best shots i have ever made was on a low flying crow, i was roofing a house, shot it out of the air with a nail gon from the hip. true story.

Posts: 23 | Location: canyon lake califiornia | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike M, you mean to tell me you've never taken a what-if shot at a coyote?, and you've been hunting them how long??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man Dog Hunter 2, you can roof my house any day. Don't think i've ever heard one better than that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post and the nail gun user wins!!!!

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mouskie>
posted
Child's play. All of it.

You haven't lived until you suck 'em in close and then nail them with...

A PAINTBALL GUN.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mouskie, you got to be pullin' our legs!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog - 346yds, In a kudzu patch, with a T/C Contender .223 super 14 w/Burris 7x IER, Hornady ammo.

Coyote - 257yds, with a T/C Contender .223 super 14 w/Burris 7x IER, Hornady ammo. Coyote was trying to get to a calf w/mother trying to keep it away.

Coyote - 471yds, Sunning on a bolder, with a Rem. Sendero .223 w/6x24 Tasco, with Hornady ammo.

Crow - 452yds, In a green field, Custom Rem. 22-250 w/B&L 4200 6x24x40, handload 35.5gn 2520 w/52gr Hornady Match BTHP.

Ranges varified by laser rangefinder.

Posts: 208 | Location: Lat:32.346;Long:86.174 | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a coyote in these parts in 4 years. I use a 22 CHeetah MK 1 pushing a 52gr berger bullet at 4280 FPS. My longest kill to date is on a woodchuck at a measured 660 yards. I did kill some paper last year at Williamsport, PA, 1000 yard bench rest club with my 300 win mag. The only problem is I am still looking for a recipe for target soup. When I find one, I will pass it along. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
first time longrange hunting with some guys, a crow at the edge of a corn field 1900yds. measured with barr & stroud. 3 observers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know guys we ought to have some kind of best long-range shot award-- any ideas?? How about screen name of say, "God of Shooting", or something like that for a month? And no one can backtalk you for 1 day or so (1 month would definitely be pushing it for this one).

[ 03-23-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK MR god of shooting.Wish to hell we could have gone over with our troops, And of course our favorite long range coyote rigs. I got the photo's yesterday! Nice job.

Posts: 49 | Location: UT | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracias Amigo, and here's to the troops!

one of us
Picture of steve65
posted Hide Post
Hi All

My longest shots i just done about 3 hours ago with my moutaineer 22.250 using factory 50g winchester supreme ammo,I shot 3 rabbits one after another at 658 - 661 meters scope is a tasco 6-20 mag IV 50, My rifle is zeroed in at 300 i aimed with the point at the bottom of the cross hairs bang right on im going out tommorow to try again to make sure it was not a fluke.

Cheers
Steve

Posts: 125 | Location: malmsbury,vic,australia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
sscoyote,

About 30 years. Yes, I've taken more of those hail Mary shots than I care to admit to. Most resulted in clean misses, some in clean kills and some in wounded coyotes. As I've grown older, fatter and hopefully wiser I've decided that following up gut shot game is not my cup of tea.

Mike M

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Longest shot. Somewhere between 600 yards and what the hell am I thinking on a coyote.

Worst shot. Missed a huge Mule Deer buck at 50 feet. I had practiced all year with my rifle, and it was about dead on at 50 feet. So I aimed a inch over its back and fired.

Luckiest shot. Dove hunting, took about a 30 yard shot on a dove and missed it clean, but hit one going the other direction that I didn't even see dead on.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post

I shot a fly that landed on my �� florescent orange target at 100 yards with a Remington 700 223 varmint rifle using Nosler 52gr match HP. To bad Nosler quit making match HP bullets.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My best shot so far was a golf ball @ 100 yards with my new .222 with a 3x9 redfield i had just bore sighted that morning in my basement, I didnt think i would even come close, it was my fowler shot.

Posts: 22 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 05 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i shot a crow at 463 yds and a groundhog at 427 yds. last week with my 22-250 shooting 50 gr. Barnes VLCs and 35 gr. of H4895.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote