New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best action for varmint rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I intend building a super accurate varmint/sniper type rifle and would appreciate your views regarding the best action to use for such a rifle. Caliber will be .222 Rem. What would you choose? Many thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A single shot bolt action. Probably a right-bolt left-port Savage or dual-port Savage. Also, love the .222 Remington AI.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Savage advice is very good, and I personally will be checking them out for a varmint rifle build this summer.
Till now, all of my varmint rifles are on Rem 700's and a few on Mauser 98's. I do prefer Rem 700's, or their custom clones, like Stiller, Kelbly, etc, for varmint rifles.
I just received my newest Custom Varmint Rifle build, and it is a 222 Rem, on a Rem 700 Short Action, and a Rifle Basix trigger. It's still in the Rem plastic stock, which I will be upgrading as soon as the snow goes. I bought a full up Rem 700 in 204, and had a Rem 700 barrel in 222 Rem installed that I had here in the house. It was a new take off with zero rounds thru it.
I have two other rifles in 222 Rem, both Rem 722's. The accuracy they delivers is amazing.

Some pix of targets shot recently with the Rem 722/222's.

I'm going to have the 204 barrel rebored for a 6x45, or a 6x47, for another varmint rifle.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingMight start with a 12-BV--SS-S Savage in .223; Crop and rechamber barrel if you're sold on the .222, or go to Sharp Shooter Supply and have them put the.222 Savage together for you. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I used a Rem XR100 for my 20 VarTarg and it is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever had in my hands. In testing it generally shot in the 2's or better and I have a .084 on the wall.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
It was a forum member from So Africa that got me interested in Savages..

he was showing how that with your laws, one can only own like 5 rifles total...

so he showed a picture of his several Savage rifles... two spare bolts and 5 stocks...

and like 58 barrels chambered in various calibers..

on the same long action, he could mount a 223 barrel or a 458 magnum barrel..and then the according stocks to be used..

Roger Bartsche is a good example of all the fun you can have with a Savage.. I admit to him heavily swaying me into getting several..

Roger is a source of great info on them... and their flexibility..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sako AI or L461. The action is specifically proportioned for that round. All the others mentioned are huge for such a small cartidge.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Sako AI or L461. The action is specifically proportioned for that round. All the others mentioned are huge for such a small cartidge.

They are the very BEST actions for the chambering. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
or if you want to save a bunch of money and work - go out and find yourself a 40x remmy in triple deuce

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
lal.. This is what you can expect from a Rem.700 action. I shot this group with a factory Rem 700 classic in a 257 Roberts. I tuned the trigger and floated the blr.. Course I had to spend some time working on loads..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that group at 200yds? Ive narrowed it down to Rem 700, CZ 527 and the Sako as they are easier to come by this side. Ive also heard that the Rem 700, is THE most accurate action due to its lock time.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nope,,not yards,,Meters.. If you have 5 pockets full of money..Have your rifle built on a BAT action,,I think there is none better.And so do most of the bench rest shooters. Good Luck..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I do not think you can beat an Alan Hall action.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lal, Interesting question. I agree with the other folks that the "new" Savages with both the Accu-Trigger and the Accu-Stock look to be an outstanding Design and Concept. I have one rifle with the Accu-Trigger and it really is quite nice. But, I've only very limited experience with it at this point and no experience at all with the Accu-Stock.

So, if I was planning to "sit" and only carry the rifle a short distance, I'd probably go with a Bull Barrel M700 VLS in 223Rem or 22-250. I had one in 308Win and it shot AMAZINGLY WELL!!!

If I planned to walk a bit and sit a bit, I'd just go with my current S&S 20" 223Rem M7. Wonderful accuracy with (what used to be) relatively inexpensive 50gr Rem PLHPs, and "Who buys the BBQ?" Loads with 50gr B-Tips.

Many years ago(maybe the late `70s) I tried to buy one of Melvin Forbes Ulltra-Light Arms rifles(now New Ultra-Light Arms), but he did not want to make the rifle the way I wanted it, so I passed. It was long enough ago that they were around $1250 back then and I believe they are about double that now.

Waited awhile and got two S&S M7s for what Mr. Forbes rifle would have cost me and I've been very happy with them. But..., if I was going to do a lot of walking and a little sitting, I believe I'd send the S&S 223Rem M7 to Rifles, Inc.(Lex Wieberneck or some such spelling) and let him run it through his most intense Weight Reduction program. It is already a joy to carry and having it even lighter would be simply outstanding.

I do not need a $$$High$$$ BenchRest Action for anything I shoot.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use/prefer s/shot Savage actions...

Both small shank & large shank....

Use Pac Nor custom tubes....

Simple to change with barrel vise/action and nut

wrench...experience helps too.... Cool

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Can somebody please explain to me why Remington actions do not really feature in this discussion? I was under the impression that the M700 action was the most popular action for benchrest competition and for building sniper rifles.....?

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
or if you want to save a bunch of money and work - go out and find yourself a 40x remmy in triple deuce
If you live near a good range, you might even be able to find a used one in 222 from an old BR shooter. At the local range, some of the "old BR guys" have a few of their old 40x rifles in various cartridges. 222 was an old BR cartridge.
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I do not need a $$$High$$$ BenchRest Action for anything I shoot.
Nor do I. But someone's "garbage" is often times another mans gold!

A "used" BR gun will be still able to outshoot most casual shooters.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
If you live near a good range, you might even be able to find a used one in 222 from an old BR shooter. At the local range, some of the "old BR guys" have a few of their old 40x rifles in various cartridges. 222 was an old BR cartridge. Nor do I. But someone's "garbage" is often times another mans gold!

A "used" BR gun will be still able to outshoot most casual shooters.
Excellent points. I have seen some nice buys on such stuff.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LAL.. here is a sight you can look at,,good one too...

www.benchrest.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great site. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with out a doubt it would be a remington
700 or a 40x

Posts: 27 | Location: western washington | Registered: 30 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I've got an old M700V in .222, that I'm quite happy with. I put a small block of wood into the magazine-well, with a groove cut in it's top so I just drop the cartridge in and close the bolt. I installed a Shilen 2oz trigger, and a 32X scope. can't ask for more, excpt wheels, maybe. I've carried the rifle for40years, tho' not ALL that time, LOL.
Havefun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Rem 700, 40X or an XP100 converted for use in rifle. Other than that any of the customs Stiller, Stolle, Bat etc.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako L46 or in another rendition, the Marlin 322. Superb quality actions.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you what a great accurate useful go with a bolt gun rem win ruger sav ect ect they all can be had in good varmint calibers and they can all be accurate.

If you want to shoot large amounts of ammo in a short time and kill varmints and they can be very accurate. Get a AR. I have both the ARs are great fun but one well go through 3 to 4 times the ammo then with a bolt.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some real technical replies here. I found a Rem 788 in 222 in a gunshop. Cleaned the barrel w/ JB Bore compound, bedded the action w/ JB Weld metal epoxy,with bbl free floated and it shoots 1/2 MOA with 50 gr. Hornadys and WW748. Less than $400. invested not counting a mid-range scope!

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I think that Savage advice is very good, and I personally will be checking them out for a varmint rifle build this summer.
Till now, all of my varmint rifles are on Rem 700's and a few on Mauser 98's. I do prefer Rem 700's, or their custom clones, like Stiller, Kelbly, etc, for varmint rifles.
I just received my newest Custom Varmint Rifle build, and it is a 222 Rem, on a Rem 700 Short Action, and a Rifle Basix trigger. It's still in the Rem plastic stock, which I will be upgrading as soon as the snow goes. I bought a full up Rem 700 in 204, and had a Rem 700 barrel in 222 Rem installed that I had here in the house. It was a new take off with zero rounds thru it.
I have two other rifles in 222 Rem, both Rem 722's. The accuracy they delivers is amazing.

Some pix of targets shot recently with the Rem 722/222's.

I'm going to have the 204 barrel rebored for a 6x45, or a 6x47, for another varmint rifle.

Don,
I have 2 722's a .257 Ackley and a .222, the accuracy amazes me... these rifles sold for around $50 when they came out, what a bargain!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SC, My first centerfire rifle I owned was a 722 in 300 Savage. I decided a couple of years ago to replace that origial 300 Sav as that rifle went away for something BIGGER and BETTER many years ago.
I really don't remember how accurate that first 300 Savage was. All I remember doing with it initially was sighting in the rifle to deer hunt with it.
The first 722 I bought three years ago, was a 300 Savage I bought from Allen Glore here in the AR classifieds. It shot so well, I decided to buy all of the different chamberings of 722's that were made. Except for the 308 which I haven't sorted out yet, all shoot 1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards, with the pair of 222's and an equal number of 222 Mags and the 257 shooting 3 shots into less than 1/2" groups.
I did only two things to these rifles before shooting them; I cleaned then well, and adjusted triggers to 2 1/2 pounds pull. The barrels are fully bedded in the stocks, and they all shoot as mentioned. Maybe the POI's change from year to year due to stock warping as they take on, and give up moisture. But, when I shot them, the full length barrel bedding had no impact of accuracy. I learned something as a result of this, that free floating barrels is not required for these rifles to shoot benchrest quality accuracy. I would never have believed that if I hadn't shot the targets myself.
I seriously believe that this accuracy is not limited to my six 722's, but other 722's shoot with similar great accuracy. Remington got the 722's right, and I suspect the accuracy these rifles deliver MAY have helped Winchester to redesign their Pre-64's and go with their post 64 Model 70's. The price of these 722's, as you mention, was around $50, much cheaper then period Model 70's, with the 722's shooting better than the Winchester's of that timeframe. The 721's and 722's were more affordable for working guys than the M-70.
My 257 722 was made in Oct 1948, and is the best 722 specimen I have. I bought it from William's Gun Sight down in Davidson, MI. It will go in the high 90% as a collector rifle, and with several different 85-90 gn bullets shot into 1/2", or less for 3 shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Congrats on your "Shooters" my results have mirrored yours, I had a 222/722 back in the day that consistantly shot in the 3's with a steel tube K8 Weaver on it, I foolishly let it go. I had several L461 Sakos in the same time frame and the old Remington was pick of the litter as far as accuracy went.
Back somewhere in the 60's I saw an ad in the Detroit News that read: .257 Roberts,$75.00, it was a mint 722, even got the original box of ammo with it minus the 6 or 8 that the old boy fired in it. That one went to one of my cousins for a 722/222.
In the late 70's I worked in a Gun Shop and we had a 722/300 Savage on the rack, we reloaded some ammo for it and it proved to be an excellent shooter,shoulda grabbed that one.
I've found 722 triggers to be VERY user friendly as well.
A couple years ago I found a real nice 722/222 at the Birch Run show, the guy had $550 on it and I offered him $450 and was told no, I turned toward the door and took 3 or 4 steps when he decided to take my offer. I won an informal BR match with my 257 way back when.
You had to buy a 40X to get anything better in a factory rifle. I'm off the soap box.
Take Care and good luck on deer.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMB- No disrespect intended-but why are you using Fed 205M (magnum) primers in a .222 case? Just wanting to broaden my horizons. I have been so happy with Rem 7 1/2s and CCI BR4s and CCI small rifle primers I never considered the magnum caps. I load for 221, 222,and 223 using SR primers. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal 205M, the M in this case stands for Match, not Magnum.

Tom

Posts: 38 | Location: Wi. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That clarifies that! Learn sometihing with every post. Thanks I always had more access locally to Rem and CCI primers.

posted Hide Post
The sako action was mentioned above, and was stated to be perfectly suited for the round (physically proportioned).

How does the Remington model 7 action or the model 600 action measure up?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I intend building a super accurate varmint/sniper type rifle and would appreciate your views regarding the best action to use for such a rifle. Caliber will be .222 Rem. What would you choose? Many thanks

I have basically become enamored with the .204 Ruger as have most of my mates.

I have 1 factory Rem 700 and one custom with all the bells and whistles. All of these are single loaded.

Then I have recently purchased a Ruger #1 in .204 Ruger which I think is the solution to the problem. Before you get too far down the road take a look at this round. I call it the "(Varmit) Hammer from Hell!".

It basically is the .222 Magnum necked down to .204 caliber. Loads are 32 grain Vmax at over 3900 fps.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with DR.Lou and DMB...the Sako l461 in .222REm is perfect. I have an old H&R 317- its a Sako L461 Vixen that H&R sold. It shoots tiny little groups, is very easy to tote around, and just plain looks great!

Posts: 3 | Location: south florida | Registered: 11 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Rem 700.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actions - all kinds, take your pick, but I lean towards the 700 only because of all the after market goodies available. I'd be more concerned about the barrel (maker etc.) and the stock work eg. properly bedded etc. FWIW --- John303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would pick a Rem 700 or Savage. I would definitely not pick some Mauser variant like a CZ. Tradtional Mauser actions have lock times that are way too slow and the basic action is not as stiff as others.

Once upon a time, Rem 700s dominated target shoots. Now, everyone uses custom actions. My next rifle is using a Stiller.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote