New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of getting a lighter more compact coyote rig this year. I've narrowed my search down to a Remington 7 SS in .223. I've already got a Burris 4-12X compact which should work great on this rig. Does anyone have experience with this rifle good or bad? Would the Model 7 LSS in .22-250 be more practical. Your thoughts please?

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
A 20" 22-250 wouldn't gain too much over a 223 in a M7. Should be a good rig in 223.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The model 7 does not handle or hold very well for me,I would suggest you get to check one out before you put your money down.
The 2 examples I shot in 223 gave very good accuracy.

Good luck,
Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 7 in 243 for my wife. It's the stainless model, put into a walnut stock. Looks greats, and shoots great.

I've been wanting the same thing in a 223 for a while. When I find a fair deal, I'm gonna get it.

As to 223 vs 22-250, stick with the 223.

Have fun with it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the model 7 but on Ken Jarrets website he makes some negative remarks about this action related to accuracy.I have a Rem.700 LTR in 223 that I really like use it as a truck rifle 20 inch barrel is really handy.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Take a look at the Remington Mountain Rifle instead of the Model 7...preferably the stainless steel, laminated stocked model called the LSS. It is much trimmer in profile than the model 7 and because it has a 22" barrel, I fine it balances better. It can be had in various calibers...all of which are 'yote medicine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bubster, Just went in and weighed my 20" S&S 223Rem M7 with a 4-12x VariX-II on it and the whole thing is about 7 5/8 pounds. In my case, that weight works well for a Varmint Rifle I carry more than I sit with it.

It has a favorite bullet which is the 50gr B-Tip with either H4895 or H322. I need to try Hodgdon Benchrest with it since that powder works even better than H4895 and H322 with other bullets.

Using Benchrest and 50gr Rem PLHPs, combined 18-shot groups run under 1". The 50gr B-Tips will easily break 0.400" for 3-shot groups "WHEN" my concentration is up.

Only thing done to this rifle from the factory was to re-adjust the trigger.

The 20" barrel seems to work just fine with the 223Rem. If you plan to shoot beyond 300yds or so, then the recommendation to go with a longer barrel is a good idea. When I know shots beyond 300yds will potentially be available, I step up to a bit more cartridge also.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 22-250 but in a 20" barrel I could see no reason to not go with the .223

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote