THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    223 light blue dot load vs. speedy load

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 light blue dot load vs. speedy load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a standard weight barrel for my Encore in 223 Remington cartridge. I also ordered my permit and suppressor for this barrel. I ordered the barrel from MGM. It is a 24 inch barrel with a 1in12 twist. I want to shoot the 40 grain V-max bullet-Fast. I am hoping for 3800 fps. I also want to work up a Blue dot sub-sonic load. I want to try one of Seafire's Blue Dot load.

What bullet do you guy's think would be good for a sub-sonic load(for expansion). Where do you think the sub-sonic load will hit in relation to the 40 grain pill at 3800 fps(POI)?? Thanks, Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not shot any subsonic,but use the reduced bluedot loads in a 204. Compared to full power 39 Sierra at 3600+ my reduced 34 Midway Dogtown (cheap, accurate with huge hollowpoint) at 2400 shoots 1 inch lower at 100yd.Good luck with your project.
Larry

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll have a hard time getting sub-sonic with Blue Dot and a 40 grain pill. In fact, you'll have a hard time getting subsonic with any powder and a 40 grainer. You may want to rethink your goals.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
You'll have a hard time getting sub-sonic with Blue Dot and a 40 grain pill. In fact, you'll have a hard time getting subsonic with any powder and a 40 grainer. You may want to rethink your goals.

If you read the post you would see that my question was-"What bullet do you guy's think would be good for a sub-sonic load(for expansion)" Big Grin Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd say try the hornady 218 bee JHP 45 grain.

I think you'll be unhappy with blue dot at subsonic velocities, try bullseye or unique.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What loads do you recommend with Bullseye or Unique?? I think your bullet selection is a good idea. I am assuming those bullets are designed to perform at a lower velocity?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Start out with about 4 grains, have a cleaning rod handy in case it doesn't come out the end. I suspect 6.5 grains may be too much, but each gun is different so read up and go carefully. Use a chrono and be sure to check variations in velocity. Once you get a stable load then work on making it shoot.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
With Blue Dot and a 40 grain bullet, I have tested loads down as low as a charge of 4 grains of B/D..

this however gave a MV of about 1160 fps with a 40 grain V Max...I DO NOT recommend going any lower than this charge...

I also recommend using a hotter primer, such as a Speer Small Rifle Magnum or a Winchester SR primer...

if you go lower than this, I hope you are using a cast bullet... because if you do get a squibb load, I sure hope you aren't using a jacketed bullet, and I sure hope you aren't cussing me out also...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote