THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Help me choose a caliber, please!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose a caliber, please!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Here's the idea:

-Stainless Rem M700 Short Action (trued and lapped)
-Jewell trigger
-McMillan Mountain Stock
-Oversize recoil lug
-Pac-nor SS Supermatch 22" barrel, fluted, #4 taper
-Dual front sling swivel posts
-Holland one piece rings
-Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8

This will be used for calling in coyotes and shooting them in fields out to 400 yds. It will be carried a lot. This "lightweight" style was chosen also for its manuverability while trying to get it out the window of the ranch truck. Coyotes and fox always seem to be crossing in front of me at 100 MPH.

I've always wanted a 6mm cartridge, but now which one? PLEASE HELP!
-6MM PPC
-6MM BR
-6X47
-.243 Winchester
-.243 Ackley
-6X250 Improved
-6MM Remington
-6MM Ackley
-.240 Gibbs

This is the problem with having too many choices in a custom gun! [Eek!]

Please mention anything that you feel I left out.

Thanks

P.S. I'm thinking about a muzzle brake to help me spot my own hits (or misses [Mad] ). What do you think? I'll mostly be alone, so sound isn't really an issue for me (except when I'm shooting out of the cab of the truck).

[ 08-05-2002, 10:37: Message edited by: Kenati ]

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
<paal>
posted
Hello Kenati!

I have choosed the 6BR.
In a T/C Encore, with folding stock.
Thats great out of a car window [Big Grin]
No recoil!
And great presision [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kenati:
For the short action I would go with a 243 or 243AI. You might want to see if the 6mm Rem will work in the short action. I use a 6BR and 6PPC for PD hunting and they lack alittle when you have a 400 yd shot and you may have that problem with the 6x47. Don't know much about your other choices. I've got acouple 243 and some 6mm Rem plus a 6Rem AI(wished I would of done it on a long action). One thing I think you may want to consider is how much you are going to shoot your new rifle. With that light barrel you may get 3 shots before the barrel starts to get hot so you may want to consider a standard case as testing loads and fireforming brass will take it's toll on that barrel. Well good luck!
Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best I reckon is the old 6.5x55 swedish Mauser, you will LOVE IT if you get your rifle chambered to that

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas!

I like the .243 or 6mm Remington idea. (...although PC's suggestion is tempting as well). I've got other rifles for tinkering with, so I think I better stick with a standardized cartridge. This will be a hunting rig.

I looked at brass prices for both calibers. They are essentially the same. So components won't be an issue in choosing.

What type of problems will a 6mm Remington have in the M700 Short action?

Thanks,

Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Don't you like the 7.08 ?

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I do like the 7-08, but I have too many 7mm's already; albiet they are much bigger cartridges.

Two years ago, I would have seriosly considered the 7-08.

Thanks!

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Aside from the caliber choice, I would take another look at your scope. I hunt coyotes all the time and I would feel underpowered with a Luepold 2-8. I had one on my Remington model 7 at one time and frankly, the low power, small objective lens and standard "range finding" cross hair would not suit me for varmint hunting. I use a Leupold 4-14 on a 25-06 for long range 'yote shooting and at 400 yards, those critters look mighty small even at 14 power. Other than that, the rifle sounds like a nice setup. I am not one to pursue odd ball calibers so my choice would be main stream. The 243 would be my choice for yotes in a short action rig.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a really nice rig. One thing nice about standard cartridges you can buy then anywhere. Like the .243 or the 6mm Rem. The brass is readily available and so are dies. But the whole idea of building a custom rifle is, you guessed it, having a custom calibler to go along with it. Something different than the norm. Most all rounds shoot pretty good, just depends on the shooter and your equipment. Sounds like your doing it right and sparing no expence. .243 Imp and 6mm Imp are damn good rounds. Lots of velocity and reaching distance. Don't forget the 6mm-284. Becoming pretty popular and is a great catridge. That is what I use for long range PD hunting. Flat shooting and dies are available from Redding and RCBS and I thing Hornady is making them now. One downfall of the 6mm-284 needs a longer barrel to be effecient. Powder burns pretty slow. Probably your best bet is 243 or 6mm or the ackley versions. Even a 6.5x55 is a good round and can be pretty versitle from coyotes to deer. Enjoy your new rifle.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be for going with the 243 or the 243 AI, 12 twist and shoot the 55's or the 70's (Noz BT's of course).

4-14 Leo would be my choice of optics.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

oh and by the way about the muzzle break-in my opinion no way no how no thanks

[ 08-06-2002, 07:16: Message edited by: Mark R Dobrenski ]

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
No need to improve a .243, just get a 6mm Rem and its already there.. [Wink]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Great advice fellas! Thanks.

I think I'm going to settle on the 6mm Remington. Unless, of course someone tells me about problems I might have with it in a M700 Short action.

I have both the 3-9 and 4.5-14 Leupolds. I'm going to pull them out tonight and do a magnification comparison. (the 4.5-14X50mm is much brighter than the Vari-X II, 3X9)

Any other suggestions/comments?

one of us
posted Hide Post
260 REM can shoot bullets match quality with very hight BC - from 107 to 142 ) , this caliber is very accurate twice barrel life as 243 Win and easy to reload
6.5 mm bullets are made by all major company ...

a real nice cartridge in short action .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would go with the 6mm ackley shooting either 55 or 70 grain bullets of your choice. 2.5 to 8 seems a little on the weak side. my personal scope choice would be either a leupold 4.5 to 14 (1st) or a 4 to 12 leupold. either way look at a 6mm of some kind they give you more options and buck the wind better. i have lost several coyotes way out there with a 220 swift. the 6mms are pure poison on coyotes . good luck! and have fun.( go with the 6mm ackley) [Smile]

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might consider going a little longer like a 24" barrel maybe a 26" if you are going a light contour you will never no the diffrence, especially if i went ackley

one of us
posted Hide Post
To me it doesn't seem right to spend that kind of $$$ on that nice of a gun and then put a 22" barrel on it. Maybe you should just go get an off-the-rack .243 or 6mm and have the barrel cut down, and some general accuracy work done to it. If is going to be your "short-truck-gun" maybe that would save you some money in the process (so you can afford that 6.5X20 leupold). Just a thought...

Posts: 132 | Location: Utah | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toprow makes a very good point IMHO. I got an off the shelf M-70 featherweight in 243 a couple of months ago and it shoots better than I can.
My thoughts are why make this project any more difficult than necessary. I've seen a LOT of custom guns that wouldn't outshoot an off the shelf model.

Even if the rifle you pick needs a little tweeking by a Smith, I think you will end up time and money ahead. The .243, 6mm or 260 would be my picks. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Put your money in optics and other things.

Let us know which way you jump. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
[What type of problems will a 6mm Remington have in the M700 Short action?

I have a 6mm Remington factory rifle on the M700 short action. There are no problems with the action when used for this caliber. My particular rifle is persnickety about what powder it likes -- only IMR 4064 -- but I think that is a function of the particular rifle, not the caliber.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Wow... lots of suggestions here. That's great!

Uhhhh, I looked at Winchester Stainless Rifles, but they didn't have any short actions listed.

I thought about a Remington Model 7 (I have one in .223, blued) Fine rifle, but I'm going to give it to my young nephew. (every good boy needs a .223, right? [Smile] )

What is wrong with a 22" bbl?

Remember, I plan on having to handle this rifle quickly from the cab of a truck.

It was my impression that long barrels are for sqeezing VELOCITY out of a cartridge, not ACCURACY. I understand that a long barrel can have more barrel whip than a short barrel. I've seen a lot of bench rest guns with SHORT and VERY FAT barrels.

Toprow: I don't want to argue with you, but could you please clarify for me? I don't think I understand what you mean.

I'm not looking to squeeze every bit of velocity out of a case. If I want more velocity, I'll simply go to a bigger cartridge instead of pushing a smaller one to the limits (simplify, right Pecos?) I just need enough cartridge to get the job done.

Now you guys got me lookin' at the following:
-260 Remington
-6mm Remington
-243 Winchester

I'm not too worried about he scope situation because I can swap scopes in either direction from; 2.5-8 to the 4.5-14.

I think the 6.5-20 is a bit too big for this application. I have that on my heavy barreled 22-250.

I sure appreciate all this help!

THANKS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't make sense most of the time! I'll restate my thought. If it was me (Being that I don't have 1000's of dollars to flush), I would get a cheap gun that I could make accurate enough and short enough to fit the job you describe. I wouldn't build it from the ground up. But that is only what I would do, since money is a limiting factor in my life at the moment.
I should have realized that this is what you WANT to do, and you just need advise on what round to shoot.
I like the 243 win because that is what I have and if you don't care about absolute velocity then I see no reason why a pumped-up ackley or any other "wildcat" would be the one to go with. The 243 is nice and versitile and you can usually get ammo for it at most stores, in a pinch. As far as the 6mm rem... I have no exprience with it, but I have heard good things. Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 132 | Location: Utah | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenati, check out Winchester-guns.com

Sounds like you are talking about a Winchester Featherweight like I bought couple of months ago.
Light, 22" bbl, handles like a switch. And comes in .243.

I haven't had much dealings with 6mm Remington other than good friend who got one and had hell getting it to shoot anything GOOD. It was one of these rifles that would put anything you wanted to pour thru it in 1 1/2 - 2" group.

.243 is going to be much more plentiful. The 6mm has just never gone over, not that there is anything particularly wrong with it. It seemed to have a LOT more blast than .243.

The Winchester "Coyote" is a beautiful rifle, but it is 24" bbl......however its a very simple matter for a gunsmith to shorten and recrown this barrel whereever you want. The Coyote chopped to 20" would be way cool looking rifle.

All triggers out of the box will be crap till you adjust them.

Hope some of this helps.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I almost bought a Win Featherweight in 243, but got a CZ classic new for about $150 cheaper, came with rings too. I used the $150 on a new scope. I'm happy with my set up.

<JimF>
posted
Amazing:

You painted a pretty dang accurate picture of what you wanted...short,light,portable etc., but half your replies were for BIGGER (case) LONGER (barrel) HIGHER (scope magnification). I think you had it about right in the first place!!!

A bit more magnification is OK (9X or 10X) but remember that a HUGE scope can sorta overbalance a little gun. Also, I betcha you'll shoot WAYtheheck more dogs under 200 than over, and 400!! wow, that's a far poke for sure.

You're not building a bench gun, you're building a 7 lb (scoped) sporter. So, here's a couple of thoughts. An oversized recoil lug is unecessary, (won't hurt, but no need) a Jewell trigger is the finest I've seen but again...it's not a bench gun, buy a Timney.

I'd do it in a 243 or a 250 savage and think about even a 20" barrel. You give up 75 fps over a 22" (so what?...the dogs won't care)

Great project! stick to your plan! go short and light. I betcha you'll love the little gun!

My $0.02 JimF

P.S. A fluted barrel is a waste of money unless you like the looks. A flute is no stiffer than a round barrel of the same weight. Just get a #3 round instead of a #4 flute.

It's now up to $0.03

[ 08-08-2002, 08:56: Message edited by: JimF ]

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim (and everyone else) for your comments.

You are right on the money. Bigger, faster, better... it's just the American way!

Yeah, I think you're right on both accounts, concerning the trigger and recoil lug. The trigger and lug are overkill, but then again, the whole gun is almost!

The truth is, I'd probably be just as happy with an off the shelf .243. But on the other hand, you tend to appreciate and pick out a gun from the "stack" in the safe a little more often if it was purpose built and custom made for you.

That's the only rationale I have for doing all the "trick" stuff to her. What the hell, I like the flutes. Will the 'yotes notice the difference in being smacke by a custom 6mm Ackley or an off the shelf .243 Savage? Doubt it.

I guess we're just practing a little bit of our freedom here. It's nice to have so many options available. Hate to take that for granted!

Thanks fellas for all you comments.

I really appreciate your opinions and postings.

Kenati

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenati: I presently own several Varmint Rifles in the calibers you are considering (including 6mm BR, 6mm PPC, 6x47, 6mm Remington, 243 Winchester and 6mm Ackley Improved) and another 6 worth considering (a 240 Weatherby). All of these calibers work well on Coyotes and for me are very accurate. After re-reading your original inquiry though, might I suggest that you look for a Remington Classic in either 6mm Remington or 243 Winchester! All of the Remington Classics I have owned and now own or shot have been very accurate. They come with 24" barrels and good triggers (once adjusted) and like I say in my experience good to very good accuracy. Every once in a while I see them at Gunshows priced reasonably. The money you would save over a custom Varminter would pay for several Varmint Safaris! And if you did not care for them the resale value would still be very good. Just a thought for ya! And this - if you are interested in saving pelts the 6mm Ackley Improved and the 240 Weatherby are out of consideration.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 08-24-2002, 03:29: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a 6mm in the short action for years and you will not have any problems whatsoever with that combinaton... [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington factory 6mm Rems are all short actions. I've been shooting one since 1974 completely without problems with the sporter weight 22" barrel. Did recently upgrade from the 1974 vintage 3-9 Leupold to a 4.5-14 Leupold. Only change since I refinished the stock 15 years ago. Nice varmint cartridge, nice walk-around varmint rifle. The 22" barrel has no trouble getting 3000 fps with 95 & 100 grain bullets and 3700+ fps with the little 55 grain ballistic tips! Regards and enjoy shooting your little project gun. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote