THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Coyote Killer, illegal for almost 5 years

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Coyote Killer, illegal for almost 5 years
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Not a big deal for anyone from almost any other state but after almost 5 years of no one in California being allowed to buy one of these. I've got the start of my next coyote rifle.

It will soon be built with a 20" stainless, 1/9" barrel in a flat top upper receiver!

Since Jan 1, of 2004 the California Attorney General has said that any Colt AR rifles and any other "like" rifles were illegal to buy, sell, trade or gift to any person in California because they were "assault weapons".

Last fall a court case was upheld by the California Supreme Court that the AG was not allowed to ban weapons by saying "any like" and had to name each gun by name and or model to ban them as "assault weapons". So with this information a few very brave gun dealers bought off-brand receivers from out of state and sold them to customers in California.

The CA state AG's office went so far as to call out of state gun manufacturers and tell them that they would not recommend selling their receivers to federally licensed gun dealers in California even though it was "technically legal".

At least one manufacturer "chickened out" and recalled from the shipping company cases of receivers that were already paid for and threatened California dealers that they would report the receivers as stolen to the CA, Justice Department if the already paid for receivers were delivered and not immediately returned.

Today I completed my 10 day wait and took possession of a receiver that I will build into a legal, 10 round fixed magazine, semi-automatic centerfire rifle.

I have heard that the California AG will soon list all of these receivers individually as "assualt weapons" and I will have 90 days to register it with the state.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Good for you and any other law abiding citizen that is following in your footsteps!
And I hope your project "Coyote Rifle" turns out to be accurate and reliable in the field!
Fight back you Californians!
Power to the people.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, great new and thanks from all of us varmit hunters for havin the balls to stand up for your rights.
One question, what do you mean by a fixed 10 round mag? Is this just a blocked 20 rounder or does the mag have to be attached to the gun permently.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VOTE, VOTE,VOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
Frank, great new and thanks from all of us varmit hunters for havin the balls to stand up for your rights.
One question, what do you mean by a fixed 10 round mag? Is this just a blocked 20 rounder or does the mag have to be attached to the gun permently.

The law says that "assault weapons" have detachable magazines so I have to build mine with a modifed magazine release that requires a "tool" to disassemble it. I will reload by either pushing the disassembly pin and tipping up the upper receiver or using an allen wrench to remove the "fixed magazine".

The funny thing is that once the Attorney General adds these receivers to the "Assualt Weapons" list I will have 90 days to register it with the state and then I can convert it to a detachable magazine, pistol gripped, flash hider equipped, semi-automatic rifle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think California could succesfully seceed from the union with minimal objection. Than we could declare war and reclaim it........Peace Nikki's Don't own guns right? 30 minute war. thumb

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 96Swede:
I think California could succesfully seceed from the union with minimal objection. Than we could declare war and reclaim it........Peace Nikki's Don't own guns right? 30 minute war. thumb

You'll find lines of defectors waiting to join you in the fight I'm quite sure of it! jumping

Nice way to start off Fjold! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, that is neat as hell. Free floated tube, and 24"SS HB.
What scope mounts and scope do you plan on using?
One scope mount I have used with great results is the Armalite as it comes in 1" and also 30mm and is the perfect heigth. Keep us updated as to the breakin and how it shoots.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Mine has the 20" bull barrel (1" under the float tube and .75" after). Since this is my first AR-type I though that the 24" barrel would make it too muzzle heavy. The good news is that I was right, the bad news is that the 20" is also extremely muzzle heavy! Smiler

I tried to put an old Weaver T model on it for testing but all my ring sets were too low. I need to get a high set of rings to get my eye to line up correctly.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, sounds great. Yes the 20" is muzzle heavy, been there done that. Let me check an see if I have the inserts for 1" for a set of high MGW rings, if so I will ship them down to you to try for awhile. I am not using them right now and it would be nice to try some without having to buy first.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post

I sure like my 24" bbl

Colt CAR A3 6724

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it easier to move away from California then building a fixed magazine .223.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
I find it easier to move away from California then building a fixed magazine .223.

You might, I have trouble finding another position in my field with comparable compensation.

Once the Attorney general here lists these new receivers as "assault weapons" (which he says he will as soon as possible), I have 90 days to register it with the state. Then I can take off the magazine lock and reinstall the mag release and I have a fully functional AR type rifle.

BTW, I moved from Idaho TO California.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
I chose not to register my semi-automatic home defense rifles (they are safely removed from the state).

I think the way things are going here in California, in a few years a registered semi-automatic owner will be looked upon the same as a registered sex offender.

Sad, but I wouldn't be surprised.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank-

I was in to start a DROS a few days back, and my gunshop offered me a receiver.

I was--and remain--torn: I'd like an AR for service rifle competition.

Still, most of my budget is tied up with custom guns.

Thanks for explaining the situation.

flaco

N.B. Expect I'll just do nothing until the opportunity passes.

Oh well.