New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm remington varmit bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have finally gotten back my 788 remington from my youngest son.. He has moved into a bigger gun for hunting and got his first elk last year with it.. Now that i have my varmit gun back im looking into bullets for coyote.. This gun, altho looks like a discount store gun is a shooter.. I got tremendous results with a 100 grain hornady soft point in the past and am about to start reloading for coyotes.. first question (1) is the hornady soft point 2450 100 grains a good coyote bullet?.. If not, (2) What would my options be, a matching sierra 107 or 95 grain hollow point be better? I dont care about holes, i was a trapper when i moved to montana and i can sew them up fine.. the more destruction the better, as im not in it for hides anyway.. the gun does not shoot the lighter bullets, and i am plauged by wind here.. so better coef is my best bet.. Thanks Dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
For varmints.. my first choice for years has been the 75 grain Hornady HP...

In my Remington 700, I can achieve velocities with it and 47.5 grains of H 414 running better than 3600 fps...

It is one flat shooting and hard hitting bullet...and the combo is the most accurate of ANY rifle and load I have or have ever used...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as an inadequate bullet for coyotes in a 6mm. Shoot whatever you like best. I happen to like the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Sierra 70 Blitzking (which seem to shoot identically in my gun) for varmints. But if you want to stay with one bullet for both coyotes and deer, the hundred grain Hornady is fine.

The 107 Sierra likley will not stabalize properly in a factory barrel. If you want a fairly heavy bullet that is really slick for shooting in the wind, the 95 grain Ballistic Tip has among the highest BCs.

BTW: THe Remington 788 was one of the biggest bargains in a rifle ever produced, and usually showed uncanny accuracy. It was a true gem-in-the-rough. Why Remington dropped it is a mystery.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 788 remains one of my favorite models of rifles -- and a 788 in 22-250 was my first-ever centerfire back a few eons ago. I've had a number of 788s over the years, and I've yet to see one that gave less than stellar accuracy.

In your rifle, since you aren't concerned about pelt damage anyway, shoot whatever your gun groups best with -- as long as it's an expanding bullet.

You mentioned your rifle doesn't fare well with light bullets, but the 80 grain Ballistic Tip is relatively long for its weight and may be worth a shot. It can be driven to relatively high velocity, will give you a tight trajectory and will handle any coyote in very short order.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or try my favorite old standby - the 85 gr sierra HPBT with 41.5-44 gr of 4350

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your rifle considers light, but an 87 grain v-max will blow things up. They have a decent claimed BC also(.400).

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
My 788, a LH 6MM, likes 75gr. hornady HP bullets pushed by H414. Like most other posters on this thread, the rifle will shoot well pretty much any bullet. If you're looking for a little more weight, go with an 85gr or even the 90gr Speer. Let us 788 shooters hear from you on your favorite load.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal fav in the 6mm's is the 75 grain ballistic tip.
It shoots lights out and hits really hard way out there.
You better not mind sewing though if you want the hides, it blows big chunks out of them..

Although not as much as my real coyote whacker which is a 75 grain hornady Vmax in my 25-06, it is smokin, and has no mercy on a yote.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you own a 6mmRemington. And you want to touch stuff way out there regardless of pelt damage. Some shots my not be "way out there" but kill them quick and readily would be the choice................49.0 grains of ReLoader 19 and the 87 grain VMAX. If your 6x57, or 6MM or whatever you want to call it doesn't like that load...........trade it or sell it or whatever!! Kinda like 49.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the 117's in a 25-06................some chamberings just are predetermined to shoot certain loads! Try it! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 6mm varmint special I use Nosler Partition in the 100 grain. Shot bobcat's coyote and deer with it. Works just fine.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot ground hogs with 60 grain sierra hollow points in my 243. A real show stopper.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
390ish, Show stopper the 60 Sierras are!! Out to about the starting point of "intersting" with the 39 grain Sierras in a .204!!! There are mor challenging bullets available for a .243! And there are mor challenging chamberings using .243 diameter bullets!! Get yourself a 6mmRemington and have fun! Not split necks as often and drive home varmint bullets with authority!! Groundhog hunting starts at 400 yards and gets plenty more fun after that!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD -- I know the 60 grainers are range limited. But, the are fairly spectacular inside 200 yards. My Remington does not shoot bullets heavier than 75 grains with very good accuracy. I hunt about 5 different farms and some of them do not allow for long shots because of the arrangement of ridge lines, live stock and outbuildings. I use a 243 or 223 on one sheep farm, and everything from a 25-06 100 grainers to 338 Lapua magnum on one organic dairy farm.

Had a great off-hand shot yesterday with the 25-06 Ruger No.1 varminter. He stood up at 86 yards and I put it on him. That rifle likes the 75 grain vmax.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the bullets named are good bullets..just pick the one that shoots best in your rifle..My 6x45 loves the 60 gr. Sierra HPs, the 70 gr. Nosler BAl. Tips and the 75 gr. Hornadays.

For deer, Javalina, hogs, and coyotes I really like the 75 gr. Barnes X, but its now discontinued..I have switched over to the 75 gr. GS Customs bullet and it works equally as well...I always get a quarter size exit hole.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote