New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes and hounds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got a break in the weather fresh snow above zero My hound buddy and I took a few dogs and went coyote hunting took us a bit to find a track.

When we did we had a pair going into a block of woods a mile long half mile wide no tracks coming out.

WE dropped the hounds and I went off to a dead end road on the other side, Road ends at train tracks power and pipe line about 200 yards of open shooting.

After about 20 minutes I can hear the hounds coming I said to myself he's going pop on the tracks or the road.

About 600 yards down the track from out pops one of the yotes he starts heading towards me Thinking he is going to come right into my lap.

Well at about 325 yards he decides to head across the tracks and pipe line I get across the tracks and get into a got sitting position and start shooting as he is bounding through the snow.(Ruger ranch rifle 223 20 round mag.55grSPs.

I could see the bullet strikes near him or into him I know I hit him at least twice out of 5 or 6 shots. he Is now having a very hard time but I stopped shooting any for safety reasons.

I run back to the truck and radio my buddies who are on the other side telling them the direction he is going.

I get turned around and have a two mile drive around the block. I hear the hounds a hundred yards off when I get to the other road. the hounds are not moving I tell my buddies he's most likely dead. One of them grabs another hound and starts walking in. I start to drive towards the other end of the dead end road..

By then the yote and the only hound with him pops out and starts running down the road a hundred yards behind me.

The yote is having a hard time running and I was able to cut him of with the truck and force him off the road so I could shoot him. A couple of rounds with my buck mark did him in.

After we caught up the hounds we found where the 2nd one came out and dropped on him. 7 hrs later we pulled the hounds off with out getting him.

As my buddy says some times chicken some times feathers.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Fellow a mile from me runs them with hounds. Problem he is a no kill hunter unless the person who hired him wants to kill one.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote