THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Questions on 25/06 varmint hunting.?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on 25/06 varmint hunting.?
 Login/Join

posted
G"Day All
This could end up a bit long winded but here goes.!!
I Have had a Ruger k77Vt in above calibre for 12 months, in this time i have been trying to reload some handloads for explosive results on Rabbits and have had some succes to marginal degree,I have been using 90grn HPBT gamekings and they seem to blow them apart well but i want something that is really explosive ,i know i may have to up my loads a bit to get some extra speed but i just am having trouble when i put the gun on paper over a rest ,it just doesnt seem to have the consistent groups that i want, the trigger has been lightened to 2lb which i find good ,I had a tasco 6-24x42 varmint scope fitted which im still not happy with, but i think most of my accuracy troubles are stemming from hand loads, i have been using australian ADI ( Mulwex) powder, and here lies some of my problems on this site most people recommend using powders that are not available here in OZ or are very limited.
I Am not understanding twist rates for given size projectiles or faster or slower powders for given weight projectiles, it seems like im in the dark.!
Does anyone know the twist rate in this gun and what would be a really explosive varmint bullet that would perform well.
I Know i have a lot more reloading variables to try and maybe a better qlty scope would not go astray.
NOTE; even though i cant get a real good group on paper i usually dont have any prob hitting bunnies out to 300mtrs.I would like to extend this to 500mtrs if possible.
I Plan to get this gun bedded also in the future.
How many shots should i expect from a barrel if i usually run my loading about 3300-3400fps.
I Have been told that most guns will shoot better if loaded to max or there abouts, is this true,i dont care for extreme barrel life i just want it to shoot well.
It shot really well(5shots in 15mm at 1oo mtrs with winchester premium ammo.
with hand loads loaded mid powder range and seated just of the lands it struggles to shoot 40mm groups.
I Like boat tails and have been told they are more effective for long range shooting ,is this true.
Any info or help you can give me will be muchly appreciated.
PS im counting on GHD to give me a few pointers ,i like his work.!!
Regards
Damien Webb. ( Big Native).

One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
Use a 2506 a lot on long rabitts and know what you want. the jacket construction on 90 sieras is too tough for max mist efect what you tend to get is bones smashed and stomach burst open but no air borne red empty skins and mist, just change the bullet to the 87gr siera or the speer tnt 87gr job done loads of eruptions and blood trails you cant imagine i love the 2506.ps. the plastic tiped bullets tend i feel not to expand just as well unless they hit a bone then they get to work ok.

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Some of the best shooting bullets are flat based in my experience. The boat tail will improve BC which may help with the longer range accuracy. Wind will reek havoc on long shots so a heavier bullet that has a very high BC will help with placement. I think the above comment on "mist factor" is correct.
The twist rate is what determines the stability of the bullet. A faster twist rate stabilizes a longer bullet. Speed also becomes a factor, and they can each effect the vibration which determines accuracy.

My .25-06 is a sporter weight M70, and so far my best groups are with 115gr Barnes XLC's (flat base)at max charges. There are many options to try yet so I am also gathering data and opinions.
In my .257 Roberts, I used 75gr Hornady bullets and medium burn rate powders to get some terrific varmint loads. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure the twist would be a 10.

I'd be for giving the 87 TNT a go as well, I've not much experience with it in a 25 but in cals smaller and bigger (than a 25) I have. I've found them to be extremely accurate and xplosive as well.

Good luck

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Sierra 75 gr. HP Varminter. Accurate in some rifles.
Nosler 85 gr. BT Varmint. Accurate in most.
Speer 87 gr. TNT. Accurate in most.
All shoot well in my .25-06 with good terminal performance.

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
For ears, and a tail, connected by a small
bloody piece of skin, I would suggest a
75 gr. Hornady VMax. My Tikka loves
the 85 gr. Nosler BT, and gets decent
groups with the 75 gr. VMax bullets.
The VMax definitely gets the "Red Mist"
title. The last wood chuck that got hit
by a 75 gr. VMax, from my .25-06, was
missing the upper 1/3rd of it's body...EWWW!
I didn't see the red mist, but my brother
did, and he was more than impressed
with the hit. I do get a little more height,
out of the flying carcass, from Nosler BTs(grin),
so I guess it is really what you want in a bullet.
I like red mist effect in the lighter calibers,
since I can see that in the scope, but in the
.25-06, I like the extra height, so I have time
to catch the cartwheel(lol).

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys
I currently have one 25-06 that GHD hooked me up with. I'm currently shooting the 85 gr Nosler Ballistic tips out of it at about 3300 fps. I've messed with loads that chrono somewhere around 3550 for this bullet with pretty decent accuracy. Even at a lowly 3300 fps, i've still managed to launch a few. So far, i can't complain about performance either. They are just brutal. As far as the 75 gr VMAX's go, i have gotten several loads to shoot phenomenal but i haven't gotten to use them on any varmints YET Smiler. Lastly, i just picked up some Berger VLD 115 gr bullets for the long range stuff..and shot the first groundhog with them last week...it was sitting on a rock and when the bullet hit him in the throat (it was sitting on the rock facing me)...the bullet picked him up and threw him back off the rock. I didn't think these things would really expand but this one did a pretty good job for what it is...either way the groundhog went to g-hog heaven. If you have more specific questions, i can help ya, just ask
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 75 grain V-Max's you should be able to get the velocity up over 3700. I use them in my Ruger 77 Mark-II with a Leupold VX_II 6-18 on it. Try IMR-4350 or RL-19. These 75's are the most accurate and fun bullets in all of my .257 cal rifles. In the 25-06 you won't be able to get anywhere near the lands without the bullets being just barely in the brass. I seat them at .150" off of the rifling which puts a little over .200" in the case. Mine shoots in the .3's like this. Lots of mist and baco-bits in your future.

NRA Life member and I vote.
NAHC Life member

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i second the vote for 4350 except i'm shooting H4350 as of right now. I'm shooting RL-19 with the 115 gr VLD's. With the 75's, i've had exceptional results with the H4350. Velocities for the 75's are running something like 3780. It'll hold them in the upper .2's all day.
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BN

I'd try one of the V-max bullets as well .

If you are not getting the accuracy you desire , I'd also try a different scope. I too have one of those tasco varmint junkers , and you can make a good shooting 3/4 moa rifle into a lousy 2 moa rifle simple by putting that POS on top..........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sporter 2506 in remington 700 I took out to shoot pdogs this summer. I had great luck with reloader 15 and 75 grain v-maxes loaded at the books COL. It shoots around 1/2 inch off of the bench with a medium powder charge. Hit one at 491 yards and it really nocked the stuffing out of it, litteraly, I mean that thing was GUTTLESS. I was impressed. And this was in pretty stiff cross wind to.

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always found Speer 87 TNT to be king of red mist. This flatbase has BC that rivals boattails.

Remington 700 and Colt\Sauer both have 1 in 10 twist rate and neither liked any 75 grain bullets. Accuracy was dreadful.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had success with Hornady 75 SHP fired from a 30-inch barreled 25/06. Prairie dogs seem to like it.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of IMR-4350 in the 30.06 with Nosler BT and it was extremely accurate the problem I had with IMR-4350 was when the load was perfect in the winter it was to hot in the summer. Something to think about while working up your pet load.

Good luck

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have been watching this post since it was started and have been just watching the responses.

I shoot a 25-06 quite a lot, enough that I burned out the original barrel on my Remington 700 Classic and replaced it with a custom barrel.

For the very most explosive performance on varmints you need to try the 85 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Years ago this bullet was constructed differently and it was a good bullet even for deer and antelope, etc. But a few years back Nosler changed its construction and it is now the most dramatic varmint bullet I have ever seen.

I will not even use this bullet on coyotes anymore as I have seen it surface blow on coyotes several times. But if you really want to turn a squirrel, rabbit, marmot, etc. into a red mist this is the bullet for you. This bullet is extremely accurate in most 25 caliber rifles.

I have switched to the 75 grain Hornady V-Max and it still really destroys small varmints while getting inside a coyote to cause instant death!

My favorite powders for varmint loads in the 25-06 are IMR 4831 and H 4350.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
R Flowers do you know if the IMR 4831 is temperature sensitive? I went to IMR’s web sight but could not find any info about their powders not being temperature sensitive like they use to list. I shoot it in my 300 Win Mag and am courious.

Thanks

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote