THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Thinnest ploymer tip bullet jacket

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinnest ploymer tip bullet jacket
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any idea which is the thinnest jacket between the 55 Nosler BT, 55 Sierra BK, and 60 Horn. V-Max??

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say the V-Max. I use 50 gr on chucks.
Have also used Noslers in 50 gr, Much harder. Have not used Sierra BK yet.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Are you looking for an opinion based on cutting and measuring, which one you can "drive" the fastest, or red mist comparison?

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim-- i'm trying to find out which of the highest BC 12 and 14 twist-rated bullet will give the best terminal ballistics to the longer ranges on coyotes/pr. dogs

Steve

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Not sure this will be of any help but here goes anyhow. (These are opinions based on the bullets being shot through 22-250s, MV 3700-3850 fps)

I used to use Nosler 55 in all of our high volume pd rifles. I am using the Sierra 55s now only because I can get them cheaper than the Noslers. My buddy E-rod is presently using Nosler 55s and we have spent years shooting together on the dog towns. The observation came up again this summer that we can't see any difference in Nosler and Sierra 55s. Of course, one may be more accurate in a particular rifle, but once that bullet leaves the barrel, we can't decern any difference.

I tried one box of the Horn. 60s as a possible solution to a throat issue. I "blew away" the largest portion of the box this past summer, just to get rid of them. In my limited experience with these, again I could not tell any difference in terminal ballistics compared to the Noslers and Sierras. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy, but that is another issue, for another time.

I have an opinion on what I would try, but is this opinion based on something that can be measured? Certainly not. Just a hunch, I would try the Sierra.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thks. Jim-- we've got both Sie. and Hor. loaded for testing so we'll see. I do like the Horn, just for the energy increase over the 55's...and out of a handgun we want as much going for us as possible.... but accuracy--maybe we'll get lucky.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
pdh1, "we can get them cheaper than the Noslers" is a reply that could reverberate through the halls of varmintdom!!! SIERRA has always been a friend of the accurracy minded!! At an afforrdable price to boot!! The VMAXS from Hornady offer the most EXPLOSIVE, BLOOD AND GUTS(but Hornady has been "Blood and guts" for 40 years!!)(not withstanding the 4th or 5th shot going to where the H ever!!) The Sierra bullets will do the deal and at a significant cost savings!!! SPEERS.....happy medium!! Not many flyers. Pretty darn good accurracy. Not priced out of the ballpark!
And the HORNADYS for deer killin(with the exception of the 25-06 using the SIERRA 117S-BT) have been MAGNIFICENT!!! 139's in the 7mm class caan do the deal wherever , with whatever 7mm you want to shoot them in!!!! I will shoot a couple eastern whitetails using the 120 Hornady HP in the 25-06 just for comparison to the 117 grain Sierra!!
"Deers is varmints you know!"
If I happen to find a big horned one to shoot.........Great! If not, shoot his damn momma!!!!
I know this is hard for some of y'all to read..without blood pressures getting up and such! But the fact is that here the whitetails are a NUISANCE!!!
I'll spend a couple days hunting for "Mui-Grande" in the ML season and maybe 1 day in the general firearms season(real guns!!!!!!) but for the most part, it justs extends the varmint season!!! ....and not near as difficult to hit at 500 yards!!!
For those of you reading this and wanting to kick my ass.....In about 7 hours and 45 minutes, I will be sitting in my stand! There will probably be 12-18 deer that walk under me by about 6:45AM and about 6:46, I'll go ahead and "shoot the bitch"!!! hahahhahahahahhahaahahGHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
pdh1, "we can get them cheaper than the Noslers" is a reply that could reverberate through the halls of varmintdom!!! SIERRA has always been a friend of the accurracy minded!! At an afforrdable price to boot!! The VMAXS from Hornady offer the most EXPLOSIVE, BLOOD AND GUTS(but Hornady has been "Blood and guts" for 40 years!!)(not withstanding the 4th or 5th shot going to where the H ever!!) The Sierra bullets will do the deal and at a significant cost savings!!! SPEERS.....happy medium!! Not many flyers. Pretty darn good accurracy. Not priced out of the ballpark!
And the HORNADYS for deer killin(with the exception of the 25-06 using the SIERRA 117S-BT) have been MAGNIFICENT!!! 139's in the 7mm class caan do the deal wherever , with whatever 7mm you want to shoot them in!!!! I will shoot a couple eastern whitetails using the 120 Hornady HP in the 25-06 just for comparison to the 117 grain Sierra!!
"Deers is varmints you know!"
If I happen to find a big horned one to shoot.........Great! If not, shoot his damn momma!!!!
I know this is hard for some of y'all to read..without blood pressures getting up and such! But the fact is that here the whitetails are a NUISANCE!!!
I'll spend a couple days hunting for "Mui-Grande" in the ML season and maybe 1 day in the general firearms season(real guns!!!!!!) but for the most part, it justs extends the varmint season!!! ....and not near as difficult to hit at 500 yards!!!
For those of you reading this and wanting to kick my ass.....In about 7 hours and 45 minutes, I will be sitting in my stand! There will probably be 12-18 deer that walk under me by about 6:45AM and about 6:46, I'll go ahead and "shoot the bitch"!!! hahahhahahahahhahaahahGHD

clap clap clap clap Big Grin

Jim