Find
Notify
Tools

.223 or .22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I am new to this forum, and found a lot of usefull info. I am looking for a good coyote gun and have narrowed my choices down to a .223 or a .22-250. So far I am leaning more toward the .223 because of less recoil or a little easier to shoot also my father in law already has all the stuff to reload .223 so that would save me some money. The other question is about rate of barrel twist. What is the ideal rate of barrel twist for a .223 will 50-55 grain bullets work well out of a gun that has 1 in 12 rate. Or is a higher say 1 in 9 a better rate of twist. I plan on most shots being 200yds or less. So do you think I will be happy with a .223

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
For coyotes at 200 yards or less the 223 is hard to beat, but what kind of rifle? I've tried hunting coyotes with an AR-15 but found it to be poorly suited. It was heavy, cold and a hassle to load and unload. I like lighter-weight bolt actions a lot better. The 1-12 twist will work well for lighter bullets but if you want to shoot heavy 55+ grain I suggest getting a faster twist.

For coyotes beyond 300 yards the 22-250 is a better choice--fast twist, maybe 1-8 with 60+ grain bullets.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Cowboy,
If all your shots will be 200 yds. or less the .223 is hard to beat. If you are going to shoot 55 grain bullets and under the 12 twist will work fine but if it were mine I would shoot 50 grain bullets and under and go with a 1 in 14 twist. I just built a 22-250 AI and went with the 14 twist. Would you believe 5,000 fps with a 35 grain pill and better than 1/2 minute accuracy?
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I woul use the 223 but get a rifle with a 1/9'" twist or faster so you can shoot the heavier bullets.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a coyote rifle I would get the 22-250!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the 2 guns I am looking at the Savage 110 has a 1 and 9 rate and the Remington 700 adl has a
1 and 12 twist. Which is going to work best for me. Will the 1 in 12 twist work well with 50 and 55 grain bullets. What are some basic rules of thumb for rate of twist and bullet weight for these smaller bores?? What is the best bullet weight for coyotes?? thanks in advance, steve

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The coyote hunters in my neck of the woods use AR-15s quite a bit with 50 or 55 grain bullets. A 1:9 twist will stabilize bullets up to 70 grs. I haven't hunted coyotes with it, but my varmint load is a 60 gr Sierra HP and is very accurate. They also use 22-250s and I have a Remington 700 VS in 22-250 with the 1:12 (or is it 1:14?) that is very accurate, but I find it to be most efficient and accurate with 55 gr bullets out to 300 yards. You have the option with an AR-15 to get a fast twist barrel and shoot bullets up to 80 grains, however, varmint bullet selection for anything heavier is limited.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Cowboy,
The 700 with 1 in 12 twist will work best with the bullets you want to use. As far as which bullet is best it depends on whether or not you are fur hunting. If you are not fur hunting then the bullet that shoots best from your rifle is the best for coyotes. If you plan on collecting fur then you are looking at the wrong caliber entirely unless you are real good with a needle and thread.
Jim

<NV Guide>
posted
I use a 22-250 with 55gr bullets but if you want to save the pelt with out too much sewing use the 40gr v-max they usually blow up inside. As for the .223, nothing wrong with it except less effective range. However, the savings of the reloading equipment may be a considerstion to you.

Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both calibers, and both will do the job if you know the limitations of each.

My thoughts......you get about 100 yards more range with a 22-250 than with a 223. A matter of 400 yards over 300 yards. BUT--unless you can dope wind pretty well, a 400 yard shot on a 'yote might be iffy. I have a 243 for windy days and long shots, and it gets a lot more use than the 22-250. It just bucks wind a lot better than the 22's with the 90 grain Ballistic Tips, and hammers coyotes at any reasonable range you will engage them.

The barrel life in a 223 will be about half again longer than in the 22-250. Mostly this involves throat erosion, and spacing out shots can extend life in any caliber.

Deputy Al

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken up coyote calling and find it to be exciting and difficult. I have been using a Sako Vixen in 222 Remington Magnum, a light fast handling bolt action rifle. I have harvested a couple of coyotes so far with 50 grain varmint bullets and conclude a harder bullet will provide better performance. I now use 55 grain flat base Sierra Spitzer. I believe Hornaday offers a 55 grain Spire point that is harder than the "made for 223 velosity" bullets that are the norm today.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote