New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eastern Oregon ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for an area to hunt sage rats somewhere in eastern oregon. Anyone know of an area that would be good and have good access. thanks jimmyd

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,

Since you are coming from Washington, the Northeast corner would work best for you. I've heard that the area around Enterprise is loaded with sage rats and a couple friends have shot there. Just ask the farmers and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place. - Sheister

[ 05-14-2003, 02:13: Message edited by: Sheister ]

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy 223, I'm in Tri-Cities area. Pick me up on your way. I have a very accurate Ar15 w/ lots of ammo. Just exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheister, thanks for the info, a couple of us have got this itch to burn some lead. Would the next few weeks be a good time to go, thanks for the help. Carverelli, this could work

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,

Right now is the perfect time to go! From now until about Mid June is prime sage rat hunting time. Hope I'm able to squeeze a trip in soon. Have a great time and bring lots of ammo.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheister, since I have never hunted these critters before, what would be the best weapon. I have 22LR's.223 AR. 22-250 243, I am sure all the center fires would work but what would you take? thanks jimmyd

<catskin>
posted
A buddy and I shot over 2000 rounds saturday last, all 22lr and 17hmr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,

I wouldn't use anything over a .223, you'll be burning barrels pretty quickly.
I never use anything but a couple of .22's for sage rats and get all the shooting I can stand in a day or two. A brick or two of .22 shells for a day isn't unusual and more is usually better. If you have a good, accurate .22, you can shoot out to 100-125 yards with a little practice and not bother the neighbors quite so much.
However, my buddy likes to launch them with his .222 at extended ranges and that is a kick as well. I wouldn't waste the .243 and larger rifles unless you expect to see some rock chucks at the place you're going. Even the 22-250 is more than needed as it isn't difficult to get fairly close to these little critters most of the time. Have a great time- Sheister

one of us
posted Hide Post
catskin,

I have a place in Sisters that I'm getting ready to build a house on. Are there any decent sage rat hunting areas around Redmond/Madras/Prineville anymore or do I need to keep stretching it out to further haunts? You don't need to give up your secret places, but most of my places have been shot out or locked up. Could you e-mail me? I'll be at the Deschutes County fairgrounds this weekend at the Log Home and Ranch show and was hoping to squeeze in a couple hours of shooting one morning or evening.-
bsfx@aol.com Thanks- Sheister

<catskin>
posted
Well, the closest is almost to the Ochocos for decent shooting. We mostly go out east also. Around here things are getting to broken up to do more than an hours shooting in any one place, a lot of people are using poison too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not NEED a 22/250 but oh Lordy is it ever effective,especially if you like that pretty red mist. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, give me a call. Howard and I just got back from a shoot there about 2 weeks ago. Hada ball. We were in Crane, just east of Burns. Used .22 rimfires, .17 Hornadys and .223's. If you go mid june you better call and find a place that has cut their alfalfa recently or you will never see them. The sage rats (ground squirrels are small and will disapear in that stuff.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223: I Hunted Varmints in eastern Oregon a few years back and be careful as a Non-resident Hunting license is needed to Hunt Varmints in Oregon. I forget the price but I do remember my jaws were real tight as I paid for the dang thing!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy from work was in the Prineville area last weekend,said they did well on the rats until the snow hit [Smile]
I remember a time when Christmas Valley was the place to go...(sigh) but no more.
Z

quote:
Originally posted by catskin:
Well, the closest is almost to the Ochocos for decent shooting. We mostly go out east also. Around here things are getting to broken up to do more than an hours shooting in any one place, a lot of people are using poison too.

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote