THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Match bullets ok for varmints??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match bullets ok for varmints??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm hoping for my first pdog shoot this comming summer. I am working up some long range match loads for my 223 and was wondering if such bullets would be ok for pdogs. The bullet in question is hornady 75gr hpbt match. I know it won't have the splatter effect like v-max, but my main concern is safety. I don't want any bullets skipping across the ground to some unknown destination.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin I would think that the V-Max type bullet would be a safer bullet tha the match bullet because of its design. The V-Max is basically desigend to rapidly expand upon impact & deliver all or most of its energy at that point. The match bullet's jacket is probably a little thicker & may stay together after impact. If so I would think that it would travel further after it hits something. You might also look at the Hornady SPSX bullet, but I don't think it is available in 75gr.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the 70 Gr bullet in my 1-12 inch twist 223 Rem rifle. I have used the Hornady 22 Cal. Match 52 Gr. BTHP # 2249 bullet for years shooting prairie dogs with out any problems. At 100 Yds 1/2 to 3/4 inch five shot groups are commom out of my Browning Varmint rifle. You must have a rifle with a 1-9 inch or less rifleing twist barrel to get the 70 Gr bullets to get good groups .

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
but my main concern is safety

That is a commendable attitude. And you are correct in (your concern) that this bullet will tend to ricochet more than a varmint type frangible bullet.

You may not have a problem though. It depends on where you are going and where you set up. Often there are hills, bluffs or buttes that you could use as a backstop. If, on the other hand you are shooting on flat ground, I would use a varmint bullet.

I would load up some of each, use common sense and have fun.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew that the jackets on the match bullets would be a little thicker, but wanted to see what was happening in the real world. I've read about some people using match bullets for varmints, but I figured vmax type bullets would be better.

Here's my thinking, I will be using the 75gr for target shooting out to 600 yards. I will become very familiar with its drop and windage and just thought that experience would benefit me in the pdog field. Maybe Hornady will make a higher bc vmax bullet for 224 like they do for 243.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read about some people using match bullets for varmints, but I figured vmax type bullets would be better.

The vmax type gives a more desireable visual effect.Big Grin The 75 will likely be more accurate over longer distances.

quote:
Here's my thinking, I will be using the 75gr for target shooting out to 600 yards. I will become very familiar with its drop and windage and just thought that experience would benefit me in the pdog field.

Absolutely.

quote:
Maybe Hornady will make a higher bc vmax bullet for 224 like they do for 243.

JMO but I think the major bullet manufacturers will leave this to the smaller specialty manufacturers. Also, as the length and weight grows, we have to "spin" them faster and so the jacket often has to become thicker.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all the accuracy plusses the heavy match bullets give the 223, there is a downside; a rainbow trajectory.
It is one thing to shoot long known distances with a 223, and the NRA HiPower shooters excel at it with the right bullets. Repeatable comeups.
Sure, less wind drift also, but when past 300yds, you are dropping dang near 12" every 50yds, progressively getting worse.
IMO, field use becomes very iffy with trajectory like that.
Sorta goes back to using the combo (bullet/velocity) that yields a fairly flat trajectory....when that runs out of steam, then get something with a bigger boiler room.
A 223 shooting a sleek 50-55gr pill seems more appropriate for varminting.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good point Mulerider. Flat trajectory is invaluable when shooting various distances without time to range. I've decided to stick with the proven 50 gr vmax for any future pdog trip.

There is one exception. I would like to get a kill over 500 yds. In this scenario, I believe I will carry a few of the heavies for shooting those long KNOWN ranges.

I still think with the increase interest in high velocity and fast twist 224s, Hornady would do fine with a heavy vmax with a good BC. I've read a lot about people building 22-250 AI's with 1/8 twist, 224 TTH, etc.

Anybody tried the hornday A-max on varmints? It looks like the v-max but with a somewhat heavier jacket and supposed tighter tolerances from bullet to bullet. Hornday does make a high bc 75 gr amax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the same concern (background safety), I started using varmint bullets in my ratguns--Nosler Baltip 55's in the 223 and Sierra 60 grain HP in the 22-250.

Longest critter shot EVER for me was a ground squirrel whose day was REALLY bad, courtesy of the 22-250. He was standing straight up atop a rock at a paced-off (later) 525 yards. I'm pretty familiar with the rifle's trajectory, and held two rat-heights over his head.....and cartwheeled him. Zero was 300 yards. I had the added GREAT satisfaction of pulling this stunt off in front of a buddy who delighted in giving me crap about hunting jackrabbits with my Broomhandle Mauser (What, are you dating the Dragon Lady?). One great day.

Fortuna favorat fortis

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin

Unless your .223 has a 1 in 9 twist your not going to be able to stabalize the 75 grain bullets. I'm shooting a 50 Gr V-Max in my VSSF and have shot PD out to 480 yards. But unless it is about windless I usually shoot to 300 with the .223 Beyond that or in wind I just move up to my 22-250. I know the 22-250 with a 50 V-max will thump them beyond 55o yards.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting the 142 grain Matchking in my 6.5-284. Where I shoot I can always set up with a hill for a backstop. This season one ground squirrel will die at 1,000 yards with this bullet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote