New
Find
Notify
Tools

electronic varmint caller
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm looking at an electronic varmint caller to get. between lohman(cassette)or johnny stewart(cassette) or should i get the CD caller by lohman? thanks for the help

sambo

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, I was going to ask something similar last night, but didn't get around to it.

Do people notice a difference between these dedicated calling systems, and a simple boom box arrangement? I can't vary the volume on mine, but otherwise is there any difference in their game-calling abilities?

I figure you could buy a remote-controlled boombox for $50, a CD of your sounds for $20, and be much ahead money-wise. You might have to fiddle with things a bit to get the remote control range up when outdoors, but that's not impossible.

Those dedicated callers cost hundreds of bucks, and shouldn't. I'm reluctant to shell out $300-$400 for a hundred dollars worth of electronics-- if that.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Sambo,
My father and I have called coyotes for many years. E have tried the "boom box" idea, then Dad bought a J. Stewart. My brother in law just got a digital remote one. It's my opinion that the electronic calls don't carry the sound as well as a hand blown call, nor are they as adaptable to each situation. The digital call has many different sounds built in and has options to load it up with others. It sounded best of the ones I've been around. The Johnny Stewart was heavy and sounds good but doesn't carry the sound very far.
For what you pay I would suggest the digital one. Or what I like is the old fashion hand blown wood bodied call.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Crusader>
posted
Sambo:

You should check out predatormasters.com. It's a website with a wealth of knowledge about predator hunting. Among the many forums they have there is one dealing with electronic callers. Do a search on what specifically you want to know, and you may end up with more info. than you can handle.

FYI, you can make your own ecaller with wireless remote control, likely for less than what you would buy a "brand name" non-remote unit. It can be powered by CD, cassette, MP3, whatever you choose. Predator Masters also has a Tech Section that describes in great deal how to create, edit, etc. sounds for callers. Check it out--it's fascinating.

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Crusader. I'll do that.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bubbak45>
posted
if in a cold climate beware using cd caller !

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the neatest e-calls on the market is FoxPro. A chip player, no moving parts, no wire/ speaker to mess with, and it does have a remote. You can change volume,type of animal/bird sound at any time up to about 75yds. The unit can be had in 4,8, or 16 sounds. It is very compact and weights 1.5lbs. Cost about $400.
I've had one for 3yrs. and like it alot. I still handcall and get more staisfaction calling the critters myself. Still a man with an e-caller has the advantage of getting the sound 30-50yds. away from his self.
The FoxPro has been tested to 40* below, since there are no moving parts no problems.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should look at the predatormasters.com board. They are building E-callers out of a Azden wireless microphone transmitter and reciever set, then plugging them into a tapeplayer or mp3 player and a speaker. Looks like a good set-up. They say it will work quite a distance, and probably costs less than the foxpro. The foxpro is cool, but too expensive for me.

Posts: 132 | Location: Utah | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Wildlife Tec system it works from 80 above to 50 below holds plenty of sounds no plastic to break in the cold no froze tapes or CD's to scratch and a 4 mile line of site remote I have had my system from the very start of the company and have had no problems in the case of E callers I think you get what you pay for just my 2 cents have a great nite > Coyote Slayer [Smile]

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyote Slayer, I don't want to pick a fight here but who needs to put a calling unit 4miles away from oneself? No, not even 400yds. is needed. It's like driving a draggster to work that will do 200mph. when the speed limit is 65mph.
Also the price of your unit is somewhat limiting to most people.Don't think you'll find many takers at $1000 plus. Still, to each his own.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is no fight every one has his owen thoughts but that 454 SS is sure nice to drive when you do need the speed [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Have a good one >Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks crusader for the web site. i've just finished my caller and i love it. thanks again.the cost was less than $50.00 plus my cassette player

sambo  -

[ 08-11-2002, 18:56: Message edited by: sambo ]

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote