New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Kimber Rimfire Varminter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a good friend that I sometimes refer to here on this forum. Lets call him "Jack"! Jack is wealthy and his Varminting Heart is in the right place. His problem though is - he constantly is trading his Rifles in on new stuff!
We call him "high volume Jack"!
For instance - he went through a decade where in he bought 35 Winchester Model 94's in caliber 30/30 and 32 W.S.! All in search of ONE really accurate Model 94! He never found one to his liking. Situations like this often arise with my firend "Jack".
I follow his purchases really carefully and when he gets a Rifle that is especially accurate and that I am interested in - I mention that if he ever wants to sell it that I would be a player.
It won't be long and the Rifle will be mine!
I have at least 12 or 15 of these "Jack" owned Rifles right now!
Well I bought another one from him last week.
Its a Kimber Model 22 Silhouette Rifle! The Rifle has especially beautiful wood on it with a high comb stock and somewhat wide fore-end. The barrel is a heavy, fluted style that is 23 1/2" long! The trigger on this rimfire is so wonderful (light and crisp) that it is hard to describe! My friend had a 4x16 scope on it and used it only on one Ground Squirrel Hunt and for load testing and sight in. He showed me a target he fired with it recently at 50 yards. It was a 20 shot group he fired using the Winchester Gray Box 22 Long Rifle Power - Points.
The 20 shot group measures .416" (he gave me the target with the Rifle as well as some ammo)!!!
That is great performance in my mind with a 22 L.R.!
I bought the Rifle for significantly LESS than he paid for it (he sets the prices!).
I plan on mounting a Leupold 6x18x40mm variable scope on it and it will certainly be ready for next springs Ground Squirrel season!
I will let you all know how it shoots ASAP though. As soon as the wind calms down a bit I will put it through the paces with both the Winchester and Federal ammo I have on hand. I will also see how it shoots at 100 yards as long as I am at my range.
Every Varminter should have one friend like my friend "Jack"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new purchase.

I bought a Ruger 10/22 with a black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel put a Leupold VX2 3x9 scope, and I thought it would shoot as good as my old blue 10/22 with a wood stock. It turned out to be extremely inaccurate, so I traded it off at a gun show for a used Sig 226. I then bought a Ruger 10/22 Stainless with a laminated stock in there match version it will shoot less than 1/2 inch at 25yrds using Remington golden bullets the cheap ones that Wall-Mart sells in the bulk 550 pack. I am pleased with the Ruger 10/22 target model. I wanted a Kimber bolt target model at the time but did not have the extra money. If you haven’t tried the Remington golden bullets give them a try you might be pleasantly surprised.

BTW I tried several types of expensive bullets like the Ely before settling with the golden bullets.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: Thanks for the tip on the Remington ammo. I will give that a try also.
I am going to put my trigger gauge on the Kimber tonight. I need a 22 L.R. Snap Cap or a spent casing first though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, While you're testing it, try some of the CCI-Stingers!!! You may be surprised!! I recently aquired a "new in the box", 581 Rem and shooting CCI 22 SHORT HP, was amazed at the consistency of velocity(less then 20fps) and the 50 yard accurracy......honest to GOD, one ragged hole!!!.....for 1 clip, 2 clips, 4 clips!!! Then to the CCI-VELOCITORS.....1440fps and about the same results for accurracy!! THEN THE STINGERS!!!! 1807fps, 1.5" 100 yard groups.....1/2" high at 50 and "downtown at 100"!!! I'll try this one out at the "BUSHYTAIL CLASSIC" in September (a local gettogether by a bunch of "killers") and then next spring on the "early g-hogs"....the roadside, kudzu, brair patch hogs that don't (or are unavailable) get shot at during normal varminting!! CONGRATS ON THE ADDITION T THE STABLE!!! You'll have a personal email regarding a certain .25-06 forthcoming before too long!!! Charle(GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog Devastation: I thank you for the tip on the CCI Stingers and Velocitors.
I must admit that anymore I just buy the Wal-Mart Federal bulk pack ammo for my high volume uses. Why - you ask? Because they are cheap and pretty accurate in my main go to Ground Squirrel Rifle.
With this new Kimber though I will definitely try them all to obtain the best possible accuracy. The Kimber only came with one clip and the 6x18 powered Leupold shold allow me to bonk those Gophers out to 125 yards or so! I often go through 400 to 600 rounds of 22 L.R. ammo a day when the Gophers are up! So price is also a consideration.
Anyway thanks for the tips on the CCI ammo - its to my own detriment I am sure, that I do not try the CCI stuff anymore (now for about two decades!). Lots of my friends use it and are very happy with it.
I will be looking forward to the 25/06 info!
I would be at the range right now but the Culligan Man (bottled water and water filter people) called last night and said he would be in town today!
Its always something! Don't people realize I need to go shooting!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Windy again today - but tomorrow morning the weather prognosticators have promised winds of only 10 M.P.H. from the west.
We will see.
My private range is ESPECIALLY WELL protected from west winds and I will be in the trench by 0800 hours!
I got out my Schrader Trigger Pull Gauge and inserted a previously fired 22 L.R. case in the Kimber to test the trigger.
The wonderfully crisp and light Kimber trigger broke repeatedly at 28 ounces (1 pound 12 ounces) I had guestimated it at 18 to 20 ounces prior to the actual pull test.
This trigger is amazing! I can find no fault with it at all.
Well tomorrow is the big day.
Wish me luck!
I will let you all know how it shoots!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well its definitely a KEEPER!
This Kimber M-22 HS (Hunter/Silhouette) Rifle has already found a permanent place in my Gun Vault!
This morning broke cold and calm here in SW Montana! I had all my gear (I thought!) stacked and ready to head for the range! I even bought and extra expensive ($69.00!) new Rifle case for it yesterday when I drove over the continental divide to Missoula!
The Rifle case is a fleece lined leather model with extra thick padding to protect the fine wood and metal finish of this new rimfire. It is made by Hunter.
Anyway the 17 mile trip to my friends private range during the 7 o'clock hour this morning was well worth the early up effort! I saw Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Rabbits, a Fox, numerous Birds of Prey (Ospreys, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Kestrels and many varieties of Hawks) on my trip to the range.
As I set up my targets I observed a large herd of Buffalo and several Whitetailed Deer in the adjacent ranch pastures.
After I set up my Rifle and the targets I found out I had left at home my newly purchased carton of Winchester Power-Point and CCI Velocitor ammo!
Diiiiiyyyyaaaaammmmittt! I howled!
Oh well I had several other brands and styles of ammo to try out!
Unfortunately the wonderful Federal bulk pack hollowpoints that shoot so well in all my other 22 Varmint Rifles and pistols simply would not shoot in this new Rifle! Another smaller damn.
I also tried offerings from Remington and CCI.
The CCI minimags I have had for about 8 years shot EXCEPTIONALLY well in this heavy barrelled rig!
I was shooting at 50 yards for initial impressions of all ammo and the CCI min-mags (H.P.'s) shot a splendid .382" 5 shot grouping there! That was the best 5 shot group at 50 yards for my day!
The highlight of the day though was an absolutely amazing (to me anyway!) 5 shot grouping I made there at 100 yards with the CCI mini-mag ammo that measured .779"!!!
I took back all the damns and dangs I had espoused earlier and thanked the shooting gods for blessing me with this group!
I think this is the best 5 shot group I have ever fired with a 22 L.R. at 100 yards! I don't recall ever firing a better group than this anyway with any of my 22's!
The wind protection of my converted irrigation canal to Rifle range and the excellent trigger on the Kimber I am sure helped set this new milestone for me!
I got home and found the overlooked Winchester Power-Point and CCI Velocitor ammo. I put it in my shooting box and may try them out tomorrow!
Yee-haww!
I also shot a couple of flying Varmints with the new Kimber. Some Starlings were walking around in the formerly Ground Squirrel infested fields (they are down for summer hibernation here now). I would have given a $10.00 bill to have just a couple Ground Squirrels come up in these fields!
More later
Neighbor coming down the drive!
Long live Kimber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up on the continuing fine shooting by this Kimber Rifle I was able to shoot the Winchester Power Points and the C.C.I. Velocitors in a brief session under good conditions.
The Kimber also performed REALLY well with these additional munitions.
The C.C.I. Velocitors gave me two five shot groups at 50 yards measuring .373" and .474" respectively. I do not recall pulling any of the shots in the larger group - maybe it was just these tired old eyes playing with me! Both were fine groupings though I thought.
Then I made one five shot group with the Winchester Western Power-Points and it measured .408"!
About any of the munitions I tested (with the exception of the Federal bulk-packs) shot wholely well enough for my Varminting and plinking needs.
I am going to do some more testing of the Winchester Western Power-Points as my friend that I bought the Rifle from really was impressed with them in the Ground Squirrel colonies, lethality wise as well as at the range accuracy wise.
Long live Kimber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Glad to see you were feeling well enough to get to the range! The Velocitors are pretty decent little 22's! The Stingers are another 3-400 fps velocity! And the Stingers were more accurrate in the 581 than the Velocitors!! Either one is a step up from regular 22 ammo....no that's 2 or 3 steps up! Let us know when it makes it to a varmint field! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote